for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by FLIP »

ronk wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:56 pm
FLIP wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:14 pm

Going slower and faster in a single lane is actually much simpler than linguistics, in terms of computational complexity. In a nutshell, if thing in front getting closer, slow down, if it is moving away, go faster. If reached speed limit go no faster, if above speed limit slow down.
Then accelerate into parked Fire Engine.
That's getting into the automated driving sphere which is a whole different kettle of fish, as you then have to judge several lanes, road signs, etc. Which is much more complex, especially when you start to try to understand what others are doing. And in both cases the system can only be as good as it's input data from sensors.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:29 am
Oldschool wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:26 am The rant which reminded me of - Cruise control.
I'll do you one better - adaptive cruise control. Slows down and speeds up and you don't have to do a thing - pure luxury!
It sounds good.
Have you had any scary moments.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschool wrote: November 25th, 2021, 9:44 am
FLIP wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:29 am
Oldschool wrote: November 24th, 2021, 11:26 am The rant which reminded me of - Cruise control.
I'll do you one better - adaptive cruise control. Slows down and speeds up and you don't have to do a thing - pure luxury!
It sounds good.
Have you had any scary moments.
Only when people have pulled out on me suddenly and the system brakes faster than I can react. But I generally try to let it focus on the speed while I focus on other people and the traffic, and if I see something I'm unsure about I take over from it and slow down.
Anyone But New Zealand
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Getting my Booster Jab tomorrow.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I think I will put this in the rave section. Yeah, let's go with that. Not knowing where quite to put it is the story of my life (please refrain from innuendo in the back :wink: )
My son was diagnosed with autism 4 years ago at the age of 3, I noticed a lot of traits in him that would be atypical to most, but oh so familiar with me, but did nothing about it. Lately though, I have been struggling with the deviation from routine, processes if you will, in no small part to Covid changing so much, I do love a good routine me.
I decided to undergo an assessment for autism, very on point now don't you know, thanks Melanie Sykes (for that and other things :wink: )
The assessment confirms that I do indeed have autism, which provided me with a bit of relief. It helps me, and hopefully help my son one day realise he's not in this alone and that's there's nothing wrong with why he does things, or reacts the way he reacts and so on.
So, that is pretty much that.

BUT

Not that I need to say it, as we're mostly an educated and informed bunch here...mostly, but just to reiterate vaccines do not cause autism
And remember if you've met one person with autism you've met one person with autism.
And my fave "sure, aren't we all a lit bit autistic" NO, we're not, stop that. NOW. It belittles what autistic people go through. Never say that. EVER
And lastly, if you ever meet me never engage me in a conversation about Rush (band, not the area) or Star Wars/Star Trek or The Russo-Finnish war as you will lose a large portion of your day. Do so at your peril.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

RoboProp wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:39 am I think I will put this in the rave section. Yeah, let's go with that. Not knowing where quite to put it is the story of my life (please refrain from innuendo in the back :wink: )
My son was diagnosed with autism 4 years ago at the age of 3, I noticed a lot of traits in him that would be atypical to most, but oh so familiar with me, but did nothing about it. Lately though, I have been struggling with the deviation from routine, processes if you will, in no small part to Covid changing so much, I do love a good routine me.
I decided to undergo an assessment for autism, very on point now don't you know, thanks Melanie Sykes (for that and other things :wink: )
The assessment confirms that I do indeed have autism, which provided me with a bit of relief. It helps me, and hopefully help my son one day realise he's not in this alone and that's there's nothing wrong with why he does things, or reacts the way he reacts and so on.

BUT

Not that I need to say it, as we're mostly an educated and informed bunch here...mostly, but just to reiterate vaccines do not cause autism
And remember if you've met one person with autism you've met one person with autism.
And my fave "sure, aren't we all a lit bit autistic" NO, we're not, stop that. NOW. It belittles what autistic people go through. Never say that. EVER
And lastly, if you ever meet me never engage me in a conversation about Rush (band, not the area) or Star Wars/Star Trek or The Russo-Finnish war as you will lose a large portion of your day. Do so at your peril.
Fair play to you and thanks for sharing.
Mad that you're diagnosed with it now at this stage of you life, in my uneducated eyes. Makes you wonder how many others are in the same boat!
Dont Panic!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dexter wrote: December 7th, 2021, 9:16 pm
RoboProp wrote: December 7th, 2021, 11:39 am I think I will put this in the rave section. Yeah, let's go with that. Not knowing where quite to put it is the story of my life (please refrain from innuendo in the back :wink: )

BUT

Mad that you're diagnosed with it now at this stage of you life, in my uneducated eyes. Makes you wonder how many others are in the same boat!
Thanks, I have given thought as to how I went undiagnosed for so long, but as the psychologist who assessed me told me I am extremely adept at masking. Masking for an person with autism generally involves intentionally learning neurotypical behaviours and mimicking them in social situations. The metric used for masking was along these lines, if you score 100 in this aspect you're a person with autism who masks, the score maxes out at 170. I scored 155. I think another factor for why it went undiagnosed is my age; I'm in my mid-40s, there wasn't autism awareness when I was growing up, you were just the weirdo who was bullied or left alone.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

BUT

Thanks for this.

Coincidently I was watching a documentary on BBC the other day - with Paddy McGuinness who has three autistic kids. During the documentary his wife got tested and was also had undiagnosed autism. They made the point that there was some relief in the diagnosis as it explained to her some of the areas where she felt uncomfortable socially - and also was an example for their kids that it is a condition to be managed / lived with.

He had also obviously gone down the "saw it on the net" route at some point - and I was glad he emphasised that it wasn't due to vaccines or somethign they had done. A professor likened it to left-handedness in the sense that nobody asks what caused someone to be left-handed? Was it vaccines? etc etc.

All the best
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

BUT

I like Rush,the band (the area (I have no opinion)).
Farewell to Kings is excellent but yermans voice goes through me after a while.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:22 am

BUT

I like Rush,the band (the area (I have no opinion)).
Farewell to Kings is excellent but yermans voice goes through me after a while.
I focus primarily on the bass, as I am a failed bassist and of course the rest of band. Geddy's voice is Marmite innit
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

BUT

I have it on good authority that you are a smart man.
No doubt your son is as well.
Well done.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

RoboProp wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:15 am

BUT

Thanks, I have given thought as to how I went undiagnosed for so long, but as the psychologist who assessed me told me I am extremely adept at masking. Masking for an person with autism generally involves intentionally learning neurotypical behaviours and mimicking them in social situations. The metric used for masking was along these lines, if you score 100 in this aspect you're a person with autism who masks, the score maxes out at 170. I scored 155. I think another factor for why it went undiagnosed is my age; I'm in my mid-40s, there wasn't autism awareness when I was growing up, you were just the weirdo who was bullied or left alone.
I think masking is a big part of it, if you're someone who's just a bit different but isn't causing issues and is doing well at school, why would they think there's anything "wrong" with you for you to get checked out. I definitely think there's a lot of people who lead successful lives who are undiagnosed, simply because the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

But I'm glad for you that you know now, so you know why you have your own certain ways of doing things.

How did you go through the process of getting diagnosed? I've seen online tests which look sort of proper and they've said to me I could be, but in the end it's a test in the internet and I don't want to be marching into the doctor's saying "the internet says I'm autistic".
Anyone But New Zealand
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

The Doc wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:11 am

BUT

Thanks for this.

Coincidently I was watching a documentary on BBC the other day - with Paddy McGuinness who has three autistic kids. During the documentary his wife got tested and was also had undiagnosed autism. They made the point that there was some relief in the diagnosis as it explained to her some of the areas where she felt uncomfortable socially - and also was an example for their kids that it is a condition to be managed / lived with.

He had also obviously gone down the "saw it on the net" route at some point - and I was glad he emphasised that it wasn't due to vaccines or somethign they had done. A professor likened it to left-handedness in the sense that nobody asks what caused someone to be left-handed? Was it vaccines? etc etc.

All the best
Thanks Doc. I spoke with a cousin who is a Prof of Medicine (although she focuses on virology and microbiology, not cognitive neuroscience) and she said currently there's no conclusive evidence as to the exact reason why; but she was thinking it is largely inherited. So, we're more in the ball park of phenotypic and genetic heterogeneity, rather than chemtrails...and, I so wanted it to be chemtrails :lol:
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

FLIP wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:19 am
RoboProp wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:15 am
I think masking is a big part of it, if you're someone who's just a bit different but isn't causing issues and is doing well at school, why would they think there's anything "wrong" with you for you to get checked out. I definitely think there's a lot of people who lead successful lives who are undiagnosed, simply because the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

But I'm glad for you that you know now, so you know why you have your own certain ways of doing things.

How did you go through the process of getting diagnosed? I've seen online tests which look sort of proper and they've said to me I could be, but in the end it's a test in the internet and I don't want to be marching into the doctor's saying "the internet says I'm autistic".
As the little man is on the spectrum, I had a decent working knowledge for diagnosis as such, I went to the AsIam website and they have recommendations for places you can to go for referral, prices range from €850 to €1350 depending on who you go with.

I found this article to be a good help to me

https://neuroclastic.com/its-a-spectrum ... you-think/
Have a read and see if it any of it applies to you, and then decide if an assessment is the course of action for you.

There are lot of people on the spectrum who do thrive (depending on your definition of thriving then I would be one of them) and you will always have the likes Elon Musk and current world's strongest man Tom Stoltman who probably do more than excel.

The problem I have with masking it is so very exhaustive for me to maintain this constant pretense, I suppose where I am coming from is I would like for the mask to be able to slip, so I don't feel so anxious and drained all the time

If you have any follow-up please PM me and I will be happy to help in any way that I can. If you are doing an online test the Simon Baron-Cohen (Ali G's cousin) is the one to do, as he's one of the world's leading authorities on autism. Best of luck
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

That's a great article, thanks, was very informative for me.
Dont Panic!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

You can bend my ear about the Russo Finnish war any time
I know nothing. I'm good for people doing that about Star Trek/Wars though. And I listened to a podcast with Gedi Lee talking about his life which was nice, but quite enough for me.

Though I like the tumble driers on stage. That's pretty cool.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Which Russo Finnish war?

Anyway congrats, hope the no more blackjack doesn't put you out too much ;)
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote: December 8th, 2021, 10:38 pm Which Russo Finnish war?

Anyway congrats, hope the no more blackjack doesn't put you out too much ;)
The Winter War of course Ronk, we don't talk about the Continuation War for obvious reasons
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

fourthirtythree wrote: December 8th, 2021, 9:03 pm You can bend my ear about the Russo Finnish war any time
I know nothing. I'm good for people doing that about Star Trek/Wars though. And I listened to a podcast with Gedi Lee talking about his life which was nice, but quite enough for me.

Though I like the tumble driers on stage. That's pretty cool.
Cheers 433, you're good people
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

RoboProp wrote: December 8th, 2021, 11:35 am
Thanks Doc. I spoke with a cousin who is a Prof of Medicine (although she focuses on virology and microbiology, not cognitive neuroscience) and she said currently there's no conclusive evidence as to the exact reason why; but she was thinking it is largely inherited. So, we're more in the ball park of phenotypic and genetic heterogeneity, rather than chemtrails...and, I so wanted it to be chemtrails :lol:
I saw this article on The Guardian and thought of you - not a whole lot you haven't seen before I suspect but interesting that the topic is being discussed more

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... sed-autism
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you