for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: December 8th, 2020, 10:43 am
domhnallj wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:52 am
Oldschool wrote: December 8th, 2020, 9:11 am Congratulations to the British people and their leaders on being the first to roll out the COVID vaccine.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Why?
We're all big pharma fans here, right?
I must admit, I am interested to see how it progresses. I had a dream the other night in which the worlds population came together to develop a vaccine and ensure that all medical staff were all vaccinated first as a priority, only for the entire medical professional field to die off from unidentified side effects, it pretty much turned into 28 days later from that point.
Especially when it softens your cough. :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

domhnallj wrote: December 8th, 2020, 11:21 am

I'm not begrudging them anything. I don't see how being first to regulate use of a vaccine is worthy of congratulations - someone had to be first to use it after all.

(given the shambolic sh!t-show approach of the UK to COVID its probably not surprising they were first - nothing else they've done has been effective)
Yeah. They are just gambling that the US FDA and the EMA are doing a good job. But they are far from the first. Lots of places willing to skip the final certification are way ahead. So many Russians and Chinese are vaccinated, and then Brazilians who have taken the Chinese one and I can't remember who has distributed the Russian one (I remember the Philippines were supposed to be ordering some).

Just the reporting of it is as puke inducingly jingoistic as is their tendency these days.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Luke O'Neill and others like him seem very confident that the Pfizer vaccine is the real.
He in fact has already said he'll take the vaccine.
(Yeah I know, I know)
But he's very confident and he's not the only one.
:D :D :D
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote: December 8th, 2020, 11:21 am
Oldschool wrote: December 8th, 2020, 10:36 am
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Why Not?
Would you begrudge them this moment of celebration for them?
I'm not begrudging them anything. I don't see how being first to regulate use of a vaccine is worthy of congratulations - someone had to be first to use it after all.

(given the shambolic sh!t-show approach of the UK to COVID its probably not surprising they were first - nothing else they've done has been effective)
Not sure Neil Armstrong would quite see it that way.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I trust that BioNTech's vaccine is amazing and that Pfizer's large scale testing and manufacturing are up to scratch. I appreciate the EMA doing due diligence on the outcomes however as, you might recall, we have recent experience of a major federal regulatory body failing utterly to do theirs (FAA) whereas previously the US regulator would have been seen as best practice andd to be followed as a matter of course.

Still a long way to go. I have the great fortune to be back of the queue for any vaccine.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschool wrote: December 8th, 2020, 8:09 pm
I have it in the back of my head that Armstrong pulled rank and swapped seats with Aldrin so he would be first out of the lunar capsule (of course I 'think' I read this years ago so it might not be true).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

domhnallj wrote: December 9th, 2020, 9:53 am
I have it in the back of my head that Armstrong pulled rank and swapped seats with Aldrin so he would be first out of the lunar capsule (of course I 'think' I read this years ago so it might not be true).
Neil Armstrong's motive for pulling rank were, however, well intentioned.
Just before he stepped onto the moon he is reputed to have muttered under his breath "This one's for you Mr Gorky"
Allegedly in 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. “A bj! You want a bj?! You’ll get a damn bj when young Armstrong next door walks on the moon!”

Over 30 years later, Armstrong knew the clock was ticking and there was no time to be wasted.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Oldschool wrote: December 9th, 2020, 10:33 am
domhnallj wrote: December 9th, 2020, 9:53 am
Just before he stepped onto the moon he is reputed to have muttered under his breath "This one's for you Mr Gorky"
Allegedly in 1938 when he was a kid in a small Midwest town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit a fly ball, which landed in his neighbor’s yard by the bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky.

As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. “A bj! You want a bj?! You’ll get a damn bj when young Armstrong next door walks on the moon!”

Over 30 years later, Armstrong knew the clock was ticking and there was no time to be wasted.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/good-luck-mr-gorsky/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschool wrote: December 9th, 2020, 10:33 am

I heard that joke years ago except it was related to a friend called Manny Hind - "One small step for man, one large step for Manny Hind"
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

My ability to fill a recycling bin is unsurpassed and a weird dichotomy to my tetris skills.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Passed my Deer Stalking Certificate (Level 1).
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

EMA give the Pfizer vaccine the go ahead. :D :D :D :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Peg Leg wrote: December 18th, 2020, 11:23 pm My ability to fill a recycling bin is unsurpassed and a weird dichotomy to my tetris skills.
Recycling is pointless scam.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 1:03 pm
Peg Leg wrote: December 18th, 2020, 11:23 pm My ability to fill a recycling bin is unsurpassed and a weird dichotomy to my tetris skills.
If you mean the principle I would suggest that's incorrect.
However if you mean the execution of the principle I suspect it could be a damn close run thing.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

paddyor wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 1:03 pm
Jesus 2020's taken its toll on you!
I'm not sure of the percentage of recyclable material comes out of the trommel in a recycling plant, but it is a lot of material that is resold/reused with very little mining cost.
Scam isn't costing me either 2008 bin cost was 360e (no recycling bin then and sometimes an additional black bag on top of the bin every week). 2020 it's 380e collected week with a recycle and organic bin every other and never an overflow.

As OS says, not pointless but probably done wrong.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

How old do you have to be before you have to stop climbing on top of your green bid and indulging in a spot of Jack Palancing followed by a jump dismount on grass? Asking for a friend

I suspect the answer may be the same as what age you have to be before "falling over" becomes "having a fall"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 2:02 pm How old do you have to be before you have to stop climbing on top of your green bid and indulging in a spot of Jack Palancing followed by a jump dismount on grass? Asking for a friend

I suspect the answer may be the same as what age you have to be before "falling over" becomes "having a fall"
If you can remember to shout "Geronimoooooo" then you're old enough.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Someone finally explained what 'shorting' meant in a manner I understood.
Daniel Sullivan
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Peg Leg wrote: January 29th, 2021, 2:31 pm Someone finally explained what 'shorting' meant in a manner I understood.
Margot Robbie in a bathtub explained it to you?
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

FLIP wrote: January 29th, 2021, 2:57 pm
Peg Leg wrote: January 29th, 2021, 2:31 pm Someone finally explained what 'shorting' meant in a manner I understood.
Margot Robbie in a bathtub explained it to you?
I found myself very distracted when she was trying to explain it to me.
Daniel Sullivan