Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:The Boys on Amazon Prime/the Internet, bloody, and I mean bloody, brilliant
+ 1 squillion
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Watchmen, a class apart. Loved this take on the next gen.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:Watchmen, a class apart. Loved this take on the next gen.
Love that they used the comic as a starting point and went and made their own story. I generally don't enjoy literal adaptations to different media, it's what the movie version suffered from to me (I mean when they diverged from the giant squid at the end that was one of the better elements). I really enjoyed Jeremy Irons in it, he was great fun. Thought the guy from O Brother where art though was great fun too.

On the down side the squid ending was silly and, to be honest, I'm happy enough with the one season. I know they set up the future, but I don't need to see that.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Watchmen, a class apart. Loved this take on the next gen.
Love that they used the comic as a starting point and went and made their own story. I generally don't enjoy literal adaptations to different media, it's what the movie version suffered from to me (I mean when they diverged from the giant squid at the end that was one of the better elements). I really enjoyed Jeremy Irons in it, he was great fun. Thought the guy from O Brother where art though was great fun too.

On the down side the squid ending was silly and, to be honest, I'm happy enough with the one season. I know they set up the future, but I don't need to see that.
Yeah Irons was great in it. I thought silk spectre was one of the best things in the series and I was relieved that they kept the narrative of Rorschach as a racist. Mention to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross score too.

The whole thing seemed like a vehicle for how the human race copes with trauma. I mean (almost) every character was dealing with something and the entire series was an exploration into what depths a person will go to, to cope.
As an aside, Tulsa, wtf? How did I never hear about that? a Very 'of the moment' series.
Daniel Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Not sure if its been mentioned but the Expanse is really good sci-fi. First TV show I've properly binged on in years. Highly recommend.

Jack Ryan is meh. Easy to watch. Fluffy. Meh.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote: Yeah Irons was great in it. I thought silk spectre was one of the best things in the series and I was relieved that they kept the narrative of Rorschach as a racist. Mention to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross score too.

The whole thing seemed like a vehicle for how the human race copes with trauma. I mean (almost) every character was dealing with something and the entire series was an exploration into what depths a person will go to, to cope.
As an aside, Tulsa, wtf? How did I never hear about that? a Very 'of the moment' series.
I loved the music (enjoyed their one(s) for the Vietnam war) - I had heard the Bowie song out of context and thought it was meh, in context it was fantastic. I even enjoyed the (many) different versions of the Wham song they used for Mirror Man's horrific experience at the squid event and his memories of it. Great fun. Also obviously the synth stuff is a great laugh too.

There's lots of stuff like Tulsa that when you hear about it first that make you go "wut".

Heard the Expanse was good from various Trek fan people.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

The Expanse is really good quality sci fi. Maintains realism a lot better than a lot of soft sci fi shows out there.
Anyone But New Zealand
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:Not sure if its been mentioned but the Expanse is really good sci-fi. First TV show I've properly binged on in years. Highly recommend.

Jack Ryan is meh. Easy to watch. Fluffy. Meh.
I haven't made the jump to Amazon, but got the Thomas Jane seasons. Really enjoyed it and it's trying to maintain some level of physics to human physique, gravity etc.
Is season 3 good?
Daniel Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Yeah enjoyed Season three. Thought they did it really well. Working through Season 4 now so will see where it goes.

On Amazon, i think they are now worth a subscription. At least for a few months. Plenty of high quality content now.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Logorrhea wrote:Yeah enjoyed Season three. Thought they did it really well. Working through Season 4 now so will see where it goes.

On Amazon, i think they are now worth a subscription. At least for a few months. Plenty of high quality content now.
I enjoyed season 4 too. With that, and Picard coming out soon there's some potentially decent stuff for the time being.

I use Prime for shipping so the TV stuff is a bonus.
Anyone But New Zealand
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Anyone care to suggest a definitive listing for the next few weeks?
The Rugby on the Box thread will just be playing repeats.......
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Sort of related to the thread title, but what is the thinking here on Amazon prime membership? Worth it or not?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

domhnallj wrote:Sort of related to the thread title, but what is the thinking here on Amazon prime membership? Worth it or not?
It depends. If you were getting it for Prime Video alone, then it isn't worth it by a long shot. The version of Amazon Prime Video for Ireland is very mediocre. Yes, the big shows are there like Picard, Man in the High Castle, Mrs Maisel etc, but the rest of the content is poor and compared to Netflix is diabolical.

However, there are a number of other benefits that, depending on how much you use them, might turn it into value for money

Firstly is Prime Delivery - so if you do a lot of online shopping on Amazon, then the savings in postage alone can be significant.

Secondly is Prime Reading - there is access to over 1000 titles (books and magazines) in the Prime Reading Library

Thirdly is Prime Music - over 2 million songs.

So if you would get use of the other stuff (I use Amazon a lot fortech stuff for example and I liked Prime Reading so much that I upgraded to Kindle Unlimited which has over 1 million titles to read) then its decent value - but just for the video it certainly isn't
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

A mate of mine works for Amazon. He says that Amazon loves prime users because they spend on average 4 times as much on goods as people who don't have prime. The temptation is to just order loads of sh1t because you can have it quick and free and also the "well I'm paying for prime so I better order some sh!t to save the monthly charge"

It's a bit of a mugs game as you can get free delivery on anything over 20 quid anyway if you don't need it in a screaming hurry.

I use it a fair bit both in work and personally. If someone wants something really fast I just pay the shipping and charge it on. I think it has happened twice in the past year.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote:
domhnallj wrote:Sort of related to the thread title, but what is the thinking here on Amazon prime membership? Worth it or not?
It depends. If you were getting it for Prime Video alone, then it isn't worth it by a long shot. The version of Amazon Prime Video for Ireland is very mediocre. Yes, the big shows are there like Picard, Man in the High Castle, Mrs Maisel etc, but the rest of the content is poor and compared to Netflix is diabolical.

However, there are a number of other benefits that, depending on how much you use them, might turn it into value for money

Firstly is Prime Delivery - so if you do a lot of online shopping on Amazon, then the savings in postage alone can be significant.

Secondly is Prime Reading - there is access to over 1000 titles (books and magazines) in the Prime Reading Library

Thirdly is Prime Music - over 2 million songs.

So if you would get use of the other stuff (I use Amazon a lot fortech stuff for example and I liked Prime Reading so much that I upgraded to Kindle Unlimited which has over 1 million titles to read) then its decent value - but just for the video it certainly isn't
I think UK Amazon Prime has a few titles - not quite Netflix level but on the up.
Anyone But New Zealand
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Late the party, but any thoughts in the Witcher??
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Late the party, but any thoughts in the Witcher??
Enjoyed it
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Altered carbon is excellent. 2nd season came out a few weeks ago.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Thanks for the advice lads. As I am in Belfast I think I would get the UK prime offering (is this different to the Irish one?). I really wanted to watch American Gods and Preacher (books from my youth) and also some of the recommendations on here. I try and avoid buying anything from Amazon apart from (kindle) books which are a weekly purchase, so that part is a bit of a mixed blessing (I think we are having the VAT on kindle books lifted in December). The music could be good though - is it downloadable into iTunes for handy car play or strictly a streaming offer?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

domhnallj wrote:Thanks for the advice lads. As I am in Belfast I think I would get the UK prime offering (is this different to the Irish one?). I really wanted to watch American Gods and Preacher (books from my youth) and also some of the recommendations on here. I try and avoid buying anything from Amazon apart from (kindle) books which are a weekly purchase, so that part is a bit of a mixed blessing (I think we are having the VAT on kindle books lifted in December). The music could be good though - is it downloadable into iTunes for handy car play or strictly a streaming offer?
Streaming I think. Although you may be able to download stuff into the amazon music app.
Anyone But New Zealand