Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by johng »

Itunes? Is that yoke still going? :lol:
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

johng wrote:Itunes? Is that yoke still going? :lol:
I take no lessons from someone that watches the Late Late Show.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

What's this now? Are you getting advice from Dekko's wife?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Take this time to watch BBC's The Detectorists. Your lives and your souls will be so much better for it. It is a creation of gentle beauty.
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

On Amazon Prime they may not have Netflix levels of new content but they have Baywatch, Unsolved Mysteries, The O.C. and tonnes of other classic stuff and their film offering is like walking into a 1980's video rental shop so much random Roger Corman style stuff.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Re watched Game of Thrones. The battle of Winterfell is awesome.
Ulster= Wildlings
Connacht = Iron Born
Munster = Unsullied
Leinster = Lannisters
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Not a box set per se, but Normal People is great.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Devs Nick Offerman brilliant and terrifying
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Uploaded on Amazon Prime. I liked it

End transmission
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Just finished Preacher on Amazon. I f%~king adored the graphic novel series and the tv series doesn't disappoint (once you get over Cassidy's accent).
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Ted Lasso (Apple TV) two more episodes of season 1 to be released but I've really enjoyed the first seven. Flew through them in one sitting and really enjoyed it. Its just really nice TV. It doesn't try to be anything else but it does it really well. If you know how to source these kinds of things, I'd recommend it.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Raised By Wolves, some mad sh!t going on there Ted.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Anyone watch the Umbrella Academy? Very good in a comic booky kind of way
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

blockhead wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:57 pm Re watched Game of Thrones. The battle of Winterfell is awesome.
Ulster= Wildlings
Connacht = Iron Born
Munster = Unsullied
Leinster = Lannisters
F**k you!
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 26th, 2021, 12:04 am Anyone watch the Umbrella Academy? Very good in a comic booky kind of way
Yeah - it's quirky but a good watch.

Have started "Call my agent" - French series on Netflix. There are 4 seasons (I've only started - half of first season). It's very good.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Did anyone watch It's A Sin on Channel 4? Its available on Sky via Catch Up.

I thought it was excellent. It's about a group of gay friends living in London at the outbreak of the AIDS epidemic. Not having been there, I can only guess but it feels quite authentic. It does a great job of the initial refusal/reluctance to believe the stories about AIDS (or GRID as it was known first) and how that was slowly overcome by the reality of seeing so many young men die. Also the homophobia and genuine fear in the response of the state and the broader community.

It doesn't shy away from the role that recklessness and occasionally selfishness played in helping the disease spread, which I thought was brave.

One thing I didn't like was that Russell T Davies (the series' creator) said he'd only cast gay actors to play gay characters.

"He said: "I'm not being woke about this... but I feel strongly that if I cast someone in a story, I am casting them to act as a lover, or an enemy, or someone on drugs or a criminal or a saint... they are NOT there to 'act gay' because 'acting gay' is a bunch of codes for a performance.

"It's about authenticity, the taste of 2020." https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 58971.html

I disagree. He is being woke, with all the shallowness and one-sidedness that connotes.

Obviously this is a new rule of his, which he didn't follow for Queer As Folk. I think it's self-defeating, and pretty obviously discriminatory. When someone applies for a job, including an acting job, you can't tell them that whether or not they get it depends on their sexuality.

The obvious corollary is using the same logic not to cast gay actors in straight roles, and I thought we had moved past that. We've had an English Éamonn de Valera, non-Jewish Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List, Daniel Day Lewis doesn't have cereberal palsy, Tom Cruise wasn't paralysed in Vietnam.....its called 'acting' for a reason.

And which roles will be open to the bisexuals??
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

On refletion, that might be better placed in Friday's Rant.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

And here's me thinking Hamlet always had to be Danish
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Having watched all 8 seasons of Spiral and really enjoyed it. Now on a bit of a binge en francais. I am late to the party but having sailed the seven seas I found "The Bureau". Excellent stuff so far.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Twist wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:03 am Did anyone watch It's A Sin on Channel 4? Its available on Sky via Catch Up.

I thought it was excellent. It's about a group of gay friends living in London at the outbreak of the AIDS epidemic. Not having been there, I can only guess but it feels quite authentic. It does a great job of the initial refusal/reluctance to believe the stories about AIDS (or GRID as it was known first) and how that was slowly overcome by the reality of seeing so many young men die. Also the homophobia and genuine fear in the response of the state and the broader community.

It doesn't shy away from the role that recklessness and occasionally selfishness played in helping the disease spread, which I thought was brave.

One thing I didn't like was that Russell T Davies (the series' creator) said he'd only cast gay actors to play gay characters.

"He said: "I'm not being woke about this... but I feel strongly that if I cast someone in a story, I am casting them to act as a lover, or an enemy, or someone on drugs or a criminal or a saint... they are NOT there to 'act gay' because 'acting gay' is a bunch of codes for a performance.

"It's about authenticity, the taste of 2020." https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 58971.html

I disagree. He is being woke, with all the shallowness and one-sidedness that connotes.

Obviously this is a new rule of his, which he didn't follow for Queer As Folk. I think it's self-defeating, and pretty obviously discriminatory. When someone applies for a job, including an acting job, you can't tell them that whether or not they get it depends on their sexuality.

The obvious corollary is using the same logic not to cast gay actors in straight roles, and I thought we had moved past that. We've had an English Éamonn de Valera, non-Jewish Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List, Daniel Day Lewis doesn't have cereberal palsy, Tom Cruise wasn't paralysed in Vietnam.....its called 'acting' for a reason.

And which roles will be open to the bisexuals??

Great show, the sound track is superb , late to the party but Vikings is well worth a watch