Box Sets... The Next One ???

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Box Sets... The Next One ???

Post by johng »

I'll check that out.

On a totally different note. Also late to the party. Sneaky Pete on amazon prime (or your local torrent site) is very entertaining. In season 2 atm.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Does Wandavision get any better?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

ronk wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:37 pm Does Wandavision get any better?
How far into it are you? I watched the first episode last night as it seems to be popular with good reviews - it was amusing in a clearly taking the piss way but you certainly couldn't watch a whole season like that. In the trailer I saw it at least moved to being in colour so I expect it to change. Very brave pilot to release as it could easily turn plenty of people off it.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Laighin Break wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:44 am
ronk wrote: February 16th, 2021, 7:37 pm Does Wandavision get any better?
How far into it are you? I watched the first episode last night as it seems to be popular with good reviews - it was amusing in a clearly taking the piss way but you certainly couldn't watch a whole season like that. In the trailer I saw it at least moved to being in colour so I expect it to change. Very brave pilot to release as it could easily turn plenty of people off it.
I've seen 5 episodes... each one seems to move them along a decade or so at a time... it does start moving in and out of the bubble that Wanda has created so it isn't all the TV show sitcom sort of thing.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

I am enjoying Wire in the blood at the moment. Not sure how I missed it first time around. I thought ZeroZeroZero was entertaining but not at the level of Gomorah. Also getting through Preacher, Pickard and the Expanse all of which I watch after beer has been taken so not sure how they are panning out.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

My current guilty pleasure is Snow Piercer. It’s a bit preachy but It’s a decent enough premise and a good enough auld yarn and there are some very good performances in there to boot.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JB1973 wrote: February 16th, 2021, 9:58 am
Twist wrote: February 10th, 2021, 10:03 am Did anyone watch It's A Sin on Channel 4? Its available on Sky via Catch Up.

I thought it was excellent. It's about a group of gay friends living in London at the outbreak of the AIDS epidemic. Not having been there, I can only guess but it feels quite authentic. It does a great job of the initial refusal/reluctance to believe the stories about AIDS (or GRID as it was known first) and how that was slowly overcome by the reality of seeing so many young men die. Also the homophobia and genuine fear in the response of the state and the broader community.

It doesn't shy away from the role that recklessness and occasionally selfishness played in helping the disease spread, which I thought was brave.

One thing I didn't like was that Russell T Davies (the series' creator) said he'd only cast gay actors to play gay characters.

"He said: "I'm not being woke about this... but I feel strongly that if I cast someone in a story, I am casting them to act as a lover, or an enemy, or someone on drugs or a criminal or a saint... they are NOT there to 'act gay' because 'acting gay' is a bunch of codes for a performance.

"It's about authenticity, the taste of 2020." https://www.independent.ie/entertainmen ... 58971.html

I disagree. He is being woke, with all the shallowness and one-sidedness that connotes.

Obviously this is a new rule of his, which he didn't follow for Queer As Folk. I think it's self-defeating, and pretty obviously discriminatory. When someone applies for a job, including an acting job, you can't tell them that whether or not they get it depends on their sexuality.

The obvious corollary is using the same logic not to cast gay actors in straight roles, and I thought we had moved past that. We've had an English Éamonn de Valera, non-Jewish Ben Kingsley in Schindler's List, Daniel Day Lewis doesn't have cereberal palsy, Tom Cruise wasn't paralysed in Vietnam.....its called 'acting' for a reason.

And which roles will be open to the bisexuals??

Great show, the sound track is superb , late to the party but Vikings is well worth a watch
Finale tonight was superb
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:28 am My current guilty pleasure is Snow Piercer. It’s a bit preachy but It’s a decent enough premise and a good enough auld yarn and there are some very good performances in there to boot.
If you haven't seen the film you definitely should.
I haven't seen the show though, so don't know if watching the film it would ruin the storyline in the show
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Mythic Quest on Apple TV is brilliant fun. Well worth a short subscription.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

so just finished Get Back,

I was born well after the Fab Four split, but being a massive Beatles fan I was still filled with nostalgia.

here's a few things I noticed:
- the lads seemed like they really, really liked each other and it looked like they had a good time for at leas some of the recording sessions
- poor Ringo looked permanently wasted
- John Lennon looked like a total anarchist, would not have been out of place on the Goon Show
- Breakfast looked so mundane - slices of toast cut in triangles
- when they weren't drinking their heads off, they were drinking mugs and mugs of tea - so much so that I went out and bought some Lyons tea bags and - - have reintroduced the habit, really, really good
- I never knew that Jealous guy was from the beatles era - I always thought that John wrote that in his solo years.

highly recommended
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 22nd, 2021, 9:49 am so just finished Get Back,

I was born well after the Fab Four split, but being a massive Beatles fan I was still filled with nostalgia.

here's a few things I noticed:
- the lads seemed like they really, really liked each other and it looked like they had a good time for at leas some of the recording sessions
- poor Ringo looked permanently wasted
- John Lennon looked like a total anarchist, would not have been out of place on the Goon Show
- Breakfast looked so mundane - slices of toast cut in triangles
- when they weren't drinking their heads off, they were drinking mugs and mugs of tea - so much so that I went out and bought some Lyons tea bags and - - have reintroduced the habit, really, really good
- I never knew that Jealous guy was from the beatles era - I always thought that John wrote that in his solo years.

highly recommended
Enjoyed it so much. The best thing I have seen all year by a mile. I'm going to watch it again over Christmas.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I wish it was longer!
I have Bumbleflex
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 23rd, 2021, 12:02 am I wish it was longer!
I saw someone suggest how great it would have been to have had a similar documentary made on each of their albums! Wonderful stuff and I too want to see everything that didn't make the final cut...
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

i have to say the two girls stalking the band outside of the Apple Studio on Saville Row were hilarious, John Lennon walked past them, stopped, had a look and kept walking. they just stood there it was just surreally funny
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

jus finished binge watching season 4 of Cobra Kai - very watchable
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Just finished Peacemaker. Frickin' loved it
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Watching Rome again, imo in the top 5 box sets
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Reacher on Amazon Prime is great.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

RoboProp wrote: April 13th, 2022, 3:06 pm Just finished Peacemaker. Frickin' loved it
Really liked it too. And the opening credits are just great
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Trainwreck: Woodstock 99 on Netflix

Great watch. Unlike me but I binged the 3 episodes in one sitting. Was not aware of the story but obviously familiar with the bands etc.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!