Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Logorrhea »

(JLA = Justice League)

Haven't seen it but my nephew, 17 year old and avid comic reader really enjoyed it. He also thought Affeck nailed Batman.

He doesn't understand the negative reviews. Judging by the taking on the opening weekend, a lot of people disagree with the critics on this one.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote:Right so, here goes. Batman vs superman is the best comic adaptation put to film ever..... if you're a dcu reader you will love it. Studio pressure to tee up JLA is too obvious and shoe horned though.
I usually agree with you, but not here. It was so close to being utter tripe. Wonder Woman saved the day. Eisenberg should just have his SAG card removed, he's a terribly samey actor. He's no Luthor that's for sure. Michael Rosenbaum is the yardstick.

Affleck was quite good, but I found way too much about the whole thing forced, and my God it was po-faced. A bit of levity would have worked wonders
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Right so, here goes. Batman vs superman is the best comic adaptation put to film ever..... if you're a dcu reader you will love it. Studio pressure to tee up JLA is too obvious and shoe horned though.
I usually agree with you, but not here. It was so close to being utter tripe. Wonder Woman saved the day. Eisenberg should just have his SAG card removed, he's a terribly samey actor. He's no Luthor that's for sure. Michael Rosenbaum is the yardstick.

Affleck was quite good, but I found way too much about the whole thing forced, and my God it was po-faced. A bit of levity would have worked wonders
I had a re-read of the Dark knight returns afore my trip to the cinema..... by jaysus he hit the nail on the head, forced, po-faced and levityless...... awesome

Eisenberg was the biggest problem for me too.

BTW. Have you watched daredevil S2 yet? Any good? Have you seen the adds for Preacher?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I've started Daredevil season 2 and it's good. Enjoying it so far. Hadn't realised they were going to tie in Jessica Jones to this as well (or that there was already some crossover - I've only watched 3-4 Jessica Jones). One thing I hadn't realised until this season was how 60s Batman the ending of the episodes have been. Always a cliffhanger, maybe not at the same level of 60s Batman. The punisher has been good so far but the jury is out on Elektra.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote:
RoboProp wrote:

I had a re-read of the Dark knight returns afore my trip to the cinema..... by jaysus he hit the nail on the head, forced, po-faced and levityless...... awesome

Eisenberg was the biggest problem for me too.

BTW. Have you watched daredevil S2 yet? Any good? Have you seen the adds for Preacher?
Haven't seen any of the Preacher ads yet.
I blitzed through S2 of DD. Episode Four is an absolute masterpiece. Best Punisher adaptation yet, granted that ain't saying much. It's very po-faced though :lol:
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Loved Batman v Superman yep it's got problems but it has to set up a huge amount. Affleck was great as Batman and Bruce Wayne.

As an aside I don't get the hate from critics especially Empire, marvel release a movie and the usually wet their pants, DC do and it's just slated, made fun of and generally presented/framed in a negative way. I don't get the hate unless Empire is also owned by Disney now?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:Loved Batman v Superman yep it's got problems but it has to set up a huge amount. Affleck was great as Batman and Bruce Wayne.

As an aside I don't get the hate from critics especially Empire, marvel release a movie and the usually wet their pants, DC do and it's just slated, made fun of and generally presented/framed in a negative way. I don't get the hate unless Empire is also owned by Disney now?
Empire dances to the popular tune. No longer the standard bearer
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

My biggest criticism of the film was the geography. The nearest City to Gotham is Bludhaven. Having metropolis on the other side of the bay was retarded.
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Revenant. Dissapointing I must say.
Trumbo. Not bad/fairly good.
Star wars. Total shyte.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Loved BvS. Affleck was excellent. Can't wait to see him in Suicide Squad (though it's probably just going to be a cameo).
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Everybody Wants Some is a note perfect love letter to early 80's college life in Texas, destined to be a cult classic as a spiritual sequel to the incomparable Dazed and Confused. Fantastic soundtrack as well.

One gripe is it can be somewhat misigonist in parts but then it is a film about "jocks" being somewhat misoginist so you kinda got to go with it
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Sausage Party - great fun, few gags miss the spot but generally it's got a lot of laughs, last 10-15 mins will leave your jaw on the floor
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

" A Date for Mad Mary". Not easy to watch, but has stuck with me. Good.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Rogue One quick review - orders of magnitude better than TFA in every way. Possibly even my favourite star wars film yet.
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Midnight screening of the film?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Laighin Break wrote:Midnight screening of the film?
Yep - hence why I was calling TFA episode 8 in previous versions of my last message. :mullet 1:
Anyone But New Zealand
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Alien Covenant.
Disappointing, particularly the ending (predictable from midway. ..)
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I had totally given up in the superhero movie genre after years and years of garbage explosion centric nonsense, but then... Logan was a terrific film. Really enjoyed it.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Highly recommend checking out "The Final Girls" if you're a fan of 80's slashers and can find it on Netflix or other online venues, easily passes the six laugh test
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Icarus wow, what a live capture of such a nuts moment in sporting history
Daniel Sullivan