Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Movie Thread

Post by blockhead »

RoboProp wrote: December 16th, 2021, 8:40 am Spider-Man No Way Home. Park cynicism, go and enjoy. Fun for all the family.
Fuppin sick of Spider-Man. When will it ever end. For me he's the most lame and boring of the super heroes (after Batman, although Batman sometimes has a thing going on with Catwoman grrrrr Meeeoww!).
THB I think I'm done with all this Marvel/DC stuff on screen now, its well past its best. The only ones that will last the test of time are the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote: December 16th, 2021, 8:56 am
RoboProp wrote: December 16th, 2021, 8:40 am Spider-Man No Way Home. Park cynicism, go and enjoy. Fun for all the family.
Fuppin sick of Spider-Man. When will it ever end. For me he's the most lame and boring of the super heroes (after Batman, although Batman sometimes has a thing going on with Catwoman grrrrr Meeeoww!).
THB I think I'm done with all this Marvel/DC stuff on screen now, its well past its best. The only ones that will last the test of time are the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.
I'll edit original post "fun for all the all the family bar Uncle blockhead" :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote: December 16th, 2021, 9:08 am
I'll edit original post "fun for all the all the family bar Uncle blockhead" :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hadn't seen any of the Harry Potter movies until recently.
Watched the first two and looking forward to the rest of them. Maybe something there for poor old uncle Blockhead.
BTW you have to love the MARVEL theme music for Iron Man etc etc
As for Batman, just rewatch the Michael Keaton version.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschool wrote: December 16th, 2021, 10:18 am
RoboProp wrote: December 16th, 2021, 9:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hadn't seen any of the Harry Potter movies until recently.
Watched the first two and looking forward to the rest of them. Maybe something there for poor old uncle Blockhead.
BTW you have to love the MARVEL theme music for Iron Man etc etc
As for Batman, just rewatch the Michael Keaton version
My wife started watching the Harry Potter films recently, she found them unrealistic...a red headed kid with 2 friends! :lol:
I kid.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Riders of Justice, best movie I've seen in 2021
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Really enjoyed Dune having known nothing about it.

The new James bond......it's good but the you know the prologue before the title song, it was like 20 minutes long. It had
1)Flashback sequence
2)A romantic drive thru the countryside
3)Some lovers embrace blah blah
4)Explosions foot chase, car chase gun fights

The whole thing is over 3 hours long and I'm really sick of this sh!t now. Some one needs to smack some sense into the directors.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Agree Paddy, I loved Dune (but I'm sad enough to like the Lynch/Smithee one!)

I also liked the JB but the pre-credit sequence was pisstakingly long. And mainstream movies are in general way too long. I watched the Maltese Falcon today and it never dragged.

. We are talking about films which are just supposed to be a bit of fun here. You're making s blockbuster, you're not Bela Tarr or Lav Diaz FFS.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The callback and role reversal to On her Majesties secret service was cool but I suspect it went over most peoples heads.

But just on the subect of the length. We misbooked our tickets and so eneded up in the wrong cinema at the wrong time(A bollywood movie where we sat for 2 minutes before asking someone was this James Bond). Luckily about 20 minutes before it was due to start in another screen. We managed to get the tickets changed and went in about 10 minutes after the supposed start time 810. I think we got out at about 1130. It's way too long.

In 2 minds about wathcing the other one as I'm afraid it will give up the plot of the new one which I know nothing about. I'll probably just wait. I'd imagine it's a lot shorter too.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

paddyor wrote: December 18th, 2021, 7:59 pm Really enjoyed Dune having known nothing about it.

The new James bond......it's good but the you know the prologue before the title song, it was like 20 minutes long. It had
1)Flashback sequence
2)A romantic drive thru the countryside
3)Some lovers embrace blah blah
4)Explosions foot chase, car chase gun fights

The whole thing is over 3 hours long and I'm really sick of this sh!t now. Some one needs to smack some sense into the directors.
My problems with new Bond
(a) Run time
(b) Too knowing why would they care so much about the 007 title? Too 4th wall-y
(c) Not nearly enough Ana de Armas, hummina hummina
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

I had the pleasure of seeing the new version of Westside Story today. The original film has always been one of my favorite movies. However, sacrilegious though it may be, I think the remake is superior. It’s superb and wonderful entertainment.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not one I would have seen except for a Christmas meeting with a once-a-year acquaintance but The Swimmers a Netflix, 150 minute movie, with something of a sporting theme, is a good movie without huge hype.

Worth the time and touched lots of different parts of the psyche.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Watched the new Knives Out. Yeah, it's grand. No Ana de Armas in it though
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Taken to Tar last evening by my better half, largely based on the recommendation and five-star rating of Donald Clarke in the IT.

Was almost ready to leave after 5/10/15 minutes but slowly got sucked in to an extraordinary performance by Cate Blanchett dealing with a topic which is usually considered the domain of males in politics and the arts.

An enthralling watch for an occasional movie goer.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on January 18th, 2023, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:19 am Taken to Tar last evening by my better half, largely based on the recommendation and five-star rating of Donald Clarke in the IT.

Was almost ready to leave after 5/10/15 minutes but slowly got sucked in to an extraordinary performance by Kate Winslett dealing with a topic which is usually considered the domain of males in politics and the arts.

Cate Blanchett?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:35 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:19 am Taken to Tar last evening by my better half, largely based on the recommendation and five-star rating of Donald Clarke in the IT.

Was almost ready to leave after 5/10/15 minutes but slowly got sucked in to an extraordinary performance by Kate Winslett dealing with a topic which is usually considered the domain of males in politics and the arts.

Cate Blanchett?
Thank you. The night was late, the wine was fine.............etc.