Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Avenger »

Watched Free Solo last night.
Astonishing achievement - must be up there with the best individual sport or physical achievement in human history.

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/free-solo
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Avenger wrote:Watched Free Solo last night.
Astonishing achievement - must be up there with the best individual sport or physical achievement in human history.

It is a fantastic documentary and an incredible athletic achievement but anyone who suffers from vertigo will want to look away at particular points in the doc.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

In a similar vein, The Dawn Wall on Netflix is worth a look.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

cormac wrote:

It is a fantastic documentary and an incredible athletic achievement but anyone who suffers from vertigo will want to look away at particular points in the doc.
Common misconception. Vertigo = fear of heights.

Vertigo is a balance issue in your inner ear that makes you feel dizy and sick.

In fairness that is not going to be helpful in combination with heights but not related.

Fear of heights is more a fear of an urge to jump.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Acrophobia
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

johng wrote:
cormac wrote:

Common misconception. Vertigo = fear of heights.

Vertigo is a balance issue in your inner ear that makes you feel dizy and sick.

In fairness that is not going to be helpful in combination with heights but not related.

Fear of heights is more a fear of an urge to jump.
As someone who's had bouts of vertigo I know well what it is.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Anyone know of a cure for Vertigo, the balance/ear version, or even a treatment that works for it or even eases it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Oldschool wrote:Anyone know of a cure for Vertigo, the balance/ear version, or even a treatment that works for it or even eases it.
All depends on what is causing the problem in the first place.

But, a good place to start....
https://www.brainandspine.org.uk/our-pu ... exercises/

or
https://www.salisbury.nhs.uk/leaflets/H ... PI1403.pdf
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The Vast of Night - great low budget scifi, very unsettling low fi 50's set approach to possible alien abduction/invasion or is it
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

TerenureJim wrote:The Vast of Night - great low budget scifi, very unsettling low fi 50's set approach to possible alien abduction/invasion or is it
Just watched it last night! Its top fun
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I just rewatched Man of Steel in preparation for Zac Snyder's Justice League and I had completely forgotten how good it was.

Genuinely excited about ZSJL. A lot of positive reviews coming out at the mo.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Peg Leg wrote: March 15th, 2021, 9:12 pm I just rewatched Man of Steel in preparation for Zac Snyder's Justice League and I had completely forgotten how good it was.

Directors cut of BvS is huge improvement on the cinema release so be interesting to see what this end up being. 2017 release was a mess, fun in parts but a mess
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Peg Leg wrote: March 15th, 2021, 9:12 pm I just rewatched Man of Steel in preparation for Zac Snyder's Justice League and I had completely forgotten how good it was.

MOS is great.
How do we watch ZSJL on this side of the pond? I've been too busy to even check what its going to be on.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Avenger wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:10 am

MOS is great.
How do we watch ZSJL on this side of the pond? I've been too busy to even check what its going to be on.
According to Empire is going to be on Sky/NowTV. I'll probably have to break it up over 2 nights
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Think it'll be on Amazon Prime too. At 4 hours long, I reckon it'll take at least 2-3 nights to get through.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jimbobjoe wrote: March 16th, 2021, 12:39 pm Think it'll be on Amazon Prime too. At 4 hours long, I reckon it'll take at least 2-3 nights to get through.
Watched it in one sitting on Friday night, it's in 6 parts and my plan was to stop at part 4 but couldn't turn it off. I loved it. I think anyone who reads comics will love it, it is the most comicy adaption ive ever seen.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Peg Leg wrote: March 28th, 2021, 4:30 pm Watched it in one sitting on Friday night, it's in 6 parts and my plan was to stop at part 4 but couldn't turn it off. I loved it. I think anyone who reads comics will love it, it is the most comicy adaption ive ever seen.
Watched the first two parts today and it's a massive improvement so far. Not crazy about the 4:3 aspect or the moany soundtrack though.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

jimbobjoe wrote: March 29th, 2021, 3:36 pm
Peg Leg wrote: March 28th, 2021, 4:30 pm Watched it in one sitting on Friday night, it's in 6 parts and my plan was to stop at part 4 but couldn't turn it off. I loved it. I think anyone who reads comics will love it, it is the most comicy adaption ive ever seen.
Watched the first two parts today and it's a massive improvement so far. Not crazy about the 4:3 aspect or the moany soundtrack though.
I threw in the towel because of the aspect ratio and the soundtrack, and just overly long establishing shots.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

RoboProp wrote: March 29th, 2021, 4:57 pm
jimbobjoe wrote: March 29th, 2021, 3:36 pm
I threw in the towel because of the aspect ratio and the soundtrack, and just overly long establishing shots.
Finished it last night - the soundtrack eases off in parts 3&4 but comes back during the last two. Aspect ratio kind of gets forgotten after a short while.

The film is obviously an improvement on Whedon's but imo it'll never be good with such bland/uninteresting protagonists. Such a shame because all the castings could've been excellent for those roles had they been written better.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Spider-Man No Way Home. Park cynicism, go and enjoy. Fun for all the family.