Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Movie Thread

Post by JB1973 »

I really liked American sniper but tbh I'm a bit of a sucker for war films, thought the ongoing sniper duel was a bit of enemy at the gate poach tbh.

The imitation game is a another must see, really well written and acted and if you want a bit of mindless action John Wick is spot on for that type of thing
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Kingsman - WTF?

and if you have children, especially young ones, that want to bring you to see 'Into the Woods' just prepare them that even though its based on fairytales, (*very minor spoiler alert)
Show Spoiler:
that doesn't mean there's always a happy ending
There was a fair amount of explaining to be done to an unhappy 7yr old girl in Wagamamas after seeing it.
Get in the f%~king bag.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

"Ex Machina". Low key but pretty good. Thought provoking. Domhnall Gleeson v convincing. Alicia Vikander a real talent.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Slipper1 wrote:Kingsman - WTF?
In a good or bad way?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

John Wick - Most enjoyable action film I've seen in years. Keanu Reeves mercifully gets all his "acting" out of the way in the first ten minutes and then just goes around killing Russian gangsters in a cool-as-f**k suit. Stylishly shot, some good jokes and a fine supporting cast as well. Decent Friday night entertainment.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Donny B. wrote:John Wick - Most enjoyable action film I've seen in years. Keanu Reeves mercifully gets all his "acting" out of the way in the first ten minutes and then just goes around killing Russian gangsters in a cool-as-f**k suit. Stylishly shot, some good jokes and a fine supporting cast as well. Decent Friday night entertainment.

the night club scene is quality :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

IanD wrote:
In a good or bad way?

I'm still not quite sure! Its a spoof, fine I get that. But at times you think they are trying hard to make a good (spoof) movie, then all of a sudden they just throw something in and you go wonder what just happened there?

I think it was directed by the same lad who directed KickAss so theres a fair amount of violence thrown in too.

I enjoyed it and it served a purpose of filling in time on a free Friday night. Glad I spent a tenner on the seat rather than upgrade to the 20quid ones.
Get in the f%~king bag.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Slipper1 wrote: I think it was directed by the same lad who directed KickAss so theres a fair amount of violence thrown in too.
It was Directed by Matthew Vaughn and written by him and Jane Goldsman (Mrs. Jonathan Ross) from a Mark Millar comic book. Exact same team as with Kick Ass (but not Kick Ass 2 which was god awful). Vaughn and Goldsmith were also behind Stardust, XMen First Class (she also had a hand writing Days of Future Past) and Layer Cake. So serious run of quality going on there IMO.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Slipper1 wrote:
IanD wrote:
In a good or bad way?

I'm still not quite sure! Its a spoof, fine I get that. But at times you think they are trying hard to make a good (spoof) movie, then all of a sudden they just throw something in and you go wonder what just happened there?

I think it was directed by the same lad who directed KickAss so theres a fair amount of violence thrown in too.

I enjoyed it and it served a purpose of filling in time on a free Friday night. Glad I spent a tenner on the seat rather than upgrade to the 20quid ones.
Really uneven. Quite enjoyed it though!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

TerenureJim wrote:
Slipper1 wrote: I think it was directed by the same lad who directed KickAss so theres a fair amount of violence thrown in too.
It was Directed by Matthew Vaughn and written by him and Jane Goldsman (Mrs. Jonathan Ross) from a Mark Millar comic book. Exact same team as with Kick Ass (but not Kick Ass 2 which was god awful). Vaughn and Goldsmith were also behind Stardust, XMen First Class (she also had a hand writing Days of Future Past) and Layer Cake. So serious run of quality going on there IMO.
I really liked Kick Ass.

I got 20 minutes into Kick Ass 2 and had to turn it off.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Morf wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
I really liked Kick Ass.

Different director and writer and yeah a complete piece of sh!t.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:
Morf wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
I really liked Kick Ass.

Different director and writer and yeah a complete piece of sh!t.
Different x (director + writer) = sh!t
Nicholas Cage
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

I would happily pay an extra Euro to Netflix if they allowed me to filter all Nicholas Cage movies out of suggestions.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Yeah Kick-ass 2 was a bit unnerving. Some comedy schtick followed by some gruesome/gorey violence. It didn't work at all.

Is anyone finished with Netflix? Watched everything worth watching and isn't prepared to pay for the rest of it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

paddyor wrote:Yeah Kick-ass 2 was a bit unnerving. Some comedy schtick followed by some gruesome/gorey violence. It didn't work at all.

Is anyone finished with Netflix? Watched everything worth watching and isn't prepared to pay for the rest of it.
Never started with it. I'm my own Netflix and a better one at that! 8)
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

Alain Resnais' Providence...what an absolute work of genius.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:
paddyor wrote:Yeah Kick-ass 2 was a bit unnerving. Some comedy schtick followed by some gruesome/gorey violence. It didn't work at all.

Which flix are you on these days John? There's been a glut of shut downs.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Which flix are you on these days John? There's been a glut of shut downs.
The smart people still know where to look! 8)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Found this piece about Sean Young to be a good read

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... -interview

btw, the 'low-budget rustic horror called Jug Face' is well worth a watch, both for Young and for a great performance from Lauren Ashley Carter
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Live action Robotech movie? Please and thank you.
I have Bumbleflex