Movie Thread

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Amz »

I hope you're right.

I can think of so many other actresses who would have been a more instinctive choice.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Anyone been to the new cinema down at the Point Depot?
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Yeah I was there a few weeks ago. Went to see Clash of the Titans. (it was a dry run, to see if we were gonna risk it for the Avengers!) and I have to say I don't think I'll be back any time soon. The seats were perfectly comfy (we paid the extra euro for the premium ones like suckers!) loads of leg room etc but the main point of contention and you see this is a pretty big one, is that the front row of the seats is too close to the screen, and the pitch of the subsequent rows is too shallow, meaning that where we were sitting, about 2/3s of the way back, there was about 1/4 of the screen blocked by lower seats and the heads of the patrons in them. It was annoying enough for the movie we were watching but if you have to read subs you are screwed.

The sound however was amazing. True surround sound, real head turning effects, to the point where I was ducking and leaning away from incoming sounds! I heard tell of an iSense that is in Blanch UCi / Odeon that doesnt suffer from the screen issues like the Point Cinema. Maybe try there instead.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RavenhillRaider wrote:Cant wait for Prometheus now, but i'm a bit afraid that all the hype will have me disapointed after seeing it.
What do other peeps think? Movie of the year or massive flop?
Wow :shock:

What a steamy pile of sh!t that turned out to be!
Prometheus:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

It was visually very good, but the story, or pretty much lack thereof was annoying. Fassbender was the only good thing in it. Theron was underused and the less said about some of the other "characters" the better.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Amz wrote:It was visually very good, but the story, or pretty much lack thereof was annoying. Fassbender was the only good thing in it. Theron was underused and the less said about some of the other "characters" the better.
Rapace was alright and Elba hinted at a larger role cut on the floor, Scott is a great visual artist but the writers let the film down. Check out their history on IMDB Lost and The Darkest Hour are the highlights. Not great credentials really to be doing script work on such an event movie.

It's worth seeing on the big screen for Scott's visual styel and Fassbender's unnerrving turn but could have been so much more
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:
Amz wrote:It was visually very good, but the story, or pretty much lack thereof was annoying. Fassbender was the only good thing in it. Theron was underused and the less said about some of the other "characters" the better.
Rapace was alright and Elba hinted at a larger role cut on the floor, Scott is a great visual artist but the writers let the film down. Check out their history on IMDB Lost and The Darkest Hour are the highlights. Not great credentials really to be doing script work on such an event movie.

It's worth seeing on the big screen for Scott's visual styel and Fassbender's unnerrving turn but could have been so much more
Larger roles would have been great, but I couldn't have given a fuk as to who died!

They had to outline the story of 1 No. Space Jockey and they made a balls of it. They tried to show the evolution of too many things in the hope of having further episodes.
Having said all that, the cutting room scissors was probably the worst thing to happen to the film - at a lean 2 or so hrs-, I'd say the 4hrs+ Directors cut might be a better film!
Finally, the original 2 Scott films used the claustrophobic environment itself as a character, which I felt was missing (along with any expected tension)in this film!
Daniel Sullivan
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

I have to say when I was walking out of it I was smiling. I did enjoy it. But it shouldnt be labelled as a preqel. And on the walk home, it took all of 10 minutes, when one doubt was voiced, it led to another one and another and in a snowball effect it was suddnly all very ... what just happened?

The writing started off so good and then turned cowardly and indecisive ending in a confusing ending. Some bits were thrown together as if after the fact and a lot of it just didnt make any sense. Disappointed.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

I think Scott himself has said that the film, while originally planned as a prequel, is now not meant to be one.

It's in the same universe as Alien, but it's a totally different story.

WARNING: the link contains lots of spoilers for Prometheus, so if you haven't seen it yet and plan to see it then I'd advise not clicking the link.
Interview with Ridley Scott
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

An accurate but spoilerish Review
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Henry Hill RIP
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:Henry Hill RIP
Should this not be in the "Dead Gangsters" thread?
Not a very nice guy either, I'd go so far as to say he was a murdering pr!*k who only looked out for No.1 whatever the cost......

I didn't see an RIP up here for Gadaffi after inspiring the powerhouse "Delta Force", what gives?
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Peg Leg wrote:
Not a very nice guy either, I'd go so far as to say he was a murdering pr!*k who only looked out for No.1 whatever the cost......

I didn't see an RIP up here for Gadaffi after inspiring the powerhouse "Delta Force", what gives?
Nope, he was never done or instead even suspected of murder.

Certainly he wasn't always a very nice man but his life did inspire for me the greatest film of all time so I kinda have a soft spot for him.

And inspiring Delta Force was another in Gadaffi's long list of crimes! :wink:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Nope, he was never done or instead even suspected of murder.

Certainly he wasn't always a very nice man but his life did inspire for me the greatest film of all time so I kinda have a soft spot for him.

And inspiring Delta Force was another in Gadaffi's long list of crimes! :wink:
Good film
Bad guy
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... lease.html
Daniel Sullivan
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

John Carter (of Mars) - actually quite fun, the lead is poor and clearly won't be in anymore blockbusters after towo of the biggest flops in history but this film is decent enough popcorn fodder.

Green Lantern - yep bit behind only catching this now but wow is it poor, honestly it makes the 1990's Capt. America and Flash movies look like masterpieces. Serious turkey with no redeeming features.

Also there some promontional event tomorrow for a small indie release out in Dundrum....

http://www.dundrum.ie/events/moviesdund ... nd-batpod/
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:Serious turkey with no redeeming features.
It was hugely disappointing, but I thought that Mark Strong was good as Sinestro.
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
It was hugely disappointing, but I thought that Mark Strong was good as Sinestro.
True, he's one of those 15%ers who add quality to any film. That said even here he's a bit lost.
Show Spoiler:
I know they were setting up the Sinestro Corps but he sort of just turns bad without much motivation]
The animated film from Warners Green Lantern: First Flight is worth checking out if you want to see how a Lantern film should have been made.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
True, he's one of those 15%ers who add quality to any film. That said even here he's a bit lost.
Show Spoiler:
I know they were setting up the Sinestro Corps but he sort of just turns bad without much motivation]
The animated film from Warners Green Lantern: First Flight is worth checking out if you want to see how a Lantern film should have been made.
Oh thats one of my favourites alright. Agree on what you say in the spoiler
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

A lot of noise coming out of comic con this week but I think Marvel may have jumped the shark (or talking racoon) with this one....

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34593
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

TerenureJim wrote:A lot of noise coming out of comic con this week but I think Marvel may have jumped the shark (or talking racoon) with this one....

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=34593
:shock:
Must be a joke!
Daniel Sullivan