for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Mullet

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Twist »

TerenureJim wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 12:17 pm
the Jerusalema challenge, am I the only one who think this is a bit of a mad waste of time and resources in normal times never mind a pandemic, all seems a bit unnecessary and maybe not overly professional or am I mad to agree with the Coast Guard as opposed to the Garda?
No I totally agree with you. A complete waste of energy.

IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Twist wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 9:46 am
TerenureJim wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 12:17 pm
the Jerusalema challenge, am I the only one who think this is a bit of a mad waste of time and resources in normal times never mind a pandemic, all seems a bit unnecessary and maybe not overly professional or am I mad to agree with the Coast Guard as opposed to the Garda?
No I totally agree with you. A complete waste of energy.
I would like to add the Garda Band into this mix. Was told by Guards it was good for PR and fostering good relationships in the community.

Cause all the drug dealers love a brass band. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just think when you see the Garda Band at a rugby match that is 30 odd Guards getting paid to not chase criminals. Add in 2 or 3 others driving the vans/minibus. Add in rehearsal days and that seems like a complete waste of resources to me.

I think there was only one instance in the history of the state where a Garda Band would have been a good idea.

When was that Ian? I hear you say. The answer is of course....

When the Guards were following the General all over the place in the '80s. Imagine him going in to sign on with the Garda Band following behind playing 'When the Saints go Marching on'.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!

John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Just to clarify. Members of the Garda band are not members of the force plucked from various stations just because they are pretty handy at "The Birdy Song" on the trumpet or "The Macarena" on a sax. They are musicians who applied to join the Garda Band when vacancies and recruitment competitions arose. They a re members of the band of An Garda Siochana and by extension members of the force. As it happens at this moment in time these men and woman are not rehearsing Ireland's Call and tuning their instruments, but have been redeployed on the front line to cover for colleagues who have struck down by this virus.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”

IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

John23 wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 3:42 pm
Just to clarify. Members of the Garda band are not members of the force plucked from various stations just because they are pretty handy at "The Birdy Song" on the trumpet or "The Macarena" on a sax. They are musicians who applied to join the Garda Band when vacancies and recruitment competitions arose. They a re members of the band of An Garda Siochana and by extension members of the force. As it happens at this moment in time these men and woman are not rehearsing Ireland's Call and tuning their instruments, but have been redeployed on the front line to cover for colleagues who have struck down by this virus.
Still a waste of money/resources.

We don't need Guards playing musical instruments now or at any other time.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!

blockhead
Shane Jennings

Post by blockhead »

IanD wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 3:48 pm
John23 wrote:

Could be useful in certain scenarios though.
Like a seige situation for example.
"Come out with yer hands up or the the Garda Band will do a full rendition of "Now thats what I call Music 1984" using just recorders".
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!

Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

IanD wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 3:48 pm
John23 wrote:

The point is that they are musicians hired into a professional band, rather than Gardaí playing musical instruments, so the "resource" argument is void. The fact that the band still exists after so many years must indicate that there is a demand for them.

ronk
Leo Cullen

Post by ronk »

It’s arts money with the added benefit of being a friendly face of the police to help community outreach. It’s a lot less elitist than a philharmonic orchestra.

Musicians get jobs and Ireland has a brass band on retainer rather than paying ad hoc.