Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's rant

Post by blockhead »

IanD wrote: September 28th, 2022, 8:06 am Had to wear tracksuit bottoms fleece and gillet to the match last Friday night. First time since the summer I had my legs and arms covered.

Yesterday I had to wear tracksuit bottoms and a fleece outside during the day.

Summer is definitely over.
Would ye not just wrap yourself in the big flag, wear it like a toga?
Innus Deus
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

blockhead wrote: September 28th, 2022, 8:37 am
IanD wrote: September 28th, 2022, 8:06 am Had to wear tracksuit bottoms fleece and gillet to the match last Friday night. First time since the summer I had my legs and arms covered.

Yesterday I had to wear tracksuit bottoms and a fleece outside during the day.

Summer is definitely over.
Would ye not just wrap yourself in the big flag, wear it like a toga?
Innus Deus
During the very cold winter nights in the RDS that already happens. Works too.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Nick and his Cadbury's Caramilk "awh mate!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Google.

Pixel Watch is free if you preorder a new Pixel 7 Pro in Europe. For some reason they forgot to make the offer available in Ireland.

Whatever about spending €380 on a smart watch, missing out on a discount like that is a deal breaker.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

ronk wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:09 am Google.

Pixel Watch is free if you preorder a new Pixel 7 Pro in Europe. For some reason they forgot to make the offer available in Ireland.

Whatever about spending €380 on a smart watch, missing out on a discount like that is a deal breaker.
Is there some quirk in Irish law that means that they couldn't do that? Or is it just an oversight?
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The fixing of Irish Dance competitions.
Bigger scandal than when Benson had his whistle stolen.
What's next? Drive by shootings? It'll be like Boyz in the Hood.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FLIP wrote: October 7th, 2022, 7:35 am
ronk wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:09 am Google.

Is there some quirk in Irish law that means that they couldn't do that? Or is it just an oversight?
I think it's illegal for them to charge me more in Ireland than they would if I had a French or German (or UK) address.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

"...two-match tour of the United Kingdom..." :x

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

The Kiwi's can be a bit slow. It's only been a hundred years in fairness..... :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Thank you for calling AIB, all our lines are closed. The details of our opening hours are available on our website. Goodbye.

f%~k you too.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote: October 11th, 2022, 6:07 pm Thank you for calling AIB, all our lines are closed. The details of our opening hours are available on our website. Goodbye.

f%~k you too.
Their ads "because you're brave" need to get absolutely f**ked too
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Laighin Break wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:07 am "...two-match tour of the United Kingdom..." :x

Maby history & geography just aren't the Aussie Blacks strong subjects...?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

RoboProp wrote: October 11th, 2022, 8:43 pm
ronk wrote: October 11th, 2022, 6:07 pm Thank you for calling AIB, all our lines are closed. The details of our opening hours are available on our website. Goodbye.

f%~k you too.
"Brave? Lets talk about brave...."

Nope. Unbearable.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Twist wrote: October 12th, 2022, 12:07 pm

f%~k you too.

Nope. Unbearable.
Another +1 here. Despise those ads, and don't know anybody who doesn't.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

hugonaut wrote: October 12th, 2022, 1:37 pm
Twist wrote: October 12th, 2022, 12:07 pm

Nope. Unbearable.
Another +1 here. Despise those ads, and don't know anybody who doesn't.
I was at some work thing recently and the core values were being bandied about "courage" being on of the main ones. I had to stop myself from chuckling. When I think of courage I think of my Grandfather in WWII or my mom marching on Washington in the 60s for Civil Rights, not Sorcha from Marketing streamlining whatever the fark. Excuspeak as a rule can do one
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

RoboProp wrote: October 12th, 2022, 9:45 pm
I was at some work thing recently and the core values were being bandied about "courage" being on of the main ones. I had to stop myself from chuckling. When I think of courage I think of my Grandfather in WWII or my mom marching on Washington in the 60s for Civil Rights, not Sorcha from Marketing streamlining whatever the fark. Excuspeak as a rule can do one
Courage is not something that I can even comprehend as a corporate value. Diligence, expertise, trustworthiness ... that's what the majority of people want from a bank, and it is the ad company's job to make that appealing to a wide audience.

I have literally never talked to a single person who has had a positive reaction to AIB's ad. I understand that it's aimed at getting young people inside the door and then hooked for life [because changing banks is a pain in the hole], but people younger than me seem to hate it even more than I do!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I'm seeing a lot of people defending the women's soccer team singing about the IRA online and every single excuse is f%~king asinine.

The crowning glory had to be a comment on the Irish times. UEFA are going to investigate the incident and her response ran the full gamut from;

1. Typical Irish dragging down succesful women (UEFA are not Irish, Nora)
2. When was the last time we sent a team to a World Cup? (Why is that relevant? And are we only talking about soccer WCs?)
3. What happens in dressing rooms is supposed to stay in dressing rooms (oh yeah, I forgot about that law)
4. You never see, on either national or social media, any footage of male teams celebrating in the dressing rooms in any sport (where do you even begin with that?)

Grapsing desperately for sexism where none exists.

Then there's all the apologias for the provo campaign.

"Sure didn't the Brits also kill people?"
"You say you oppose the Provisional IRA but you have a Ukranian flag on your profile, so some bombs are good, is that it? Hypocrite!"
"At least they play the national anthem, not like that rugby shower"
"Sure its a national tradition"

Smooth-brained c**ts.

I mean, do you think even 1/10th of those people would defend an NI team singing about the murdering scum of the UVF? Ironically, this reflexive defence of the indefensible is actually a barrier to re-unification.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Twist wrote: October 13th, 2022, 1:49 pm I'm seeing a lot of people defending the women's soccer team singing about the IRA online and every single excuse is f%~king asinine.

The crowning glory had to be a comment on the Irish times. UEFA are going to investigate the incident and her response ran the full gamut from;

1. Typical Irish dragging down succesful women (UEFA are not Irish, Nora)
2. When was the last time we sent a team to a World Cup? (Why is that relevant? And are we only talking about soccer WCs?)
3. What happens in dressing rooms is supposed to stay in dressing rooms (oh yeah, I forgot about that law)
4. You never see, on either national or social media, any footage of male teams celebrating in the dressing rooms in any sport (where do you even begin with that?)

Grapsing desperately for sexism where none exists.

Then there's all the apologias for the provo campaign.

"Sure didn't the Brits also kill people?"
"You say you oppose the Provisional IRA but you have a Ukranian flag on your profile, so some bombs are good, is that it? Hypocrite!"
"At least they play the national anthem, not like that rugby shower"
"Sure its a national tradition"

Smooth-brained c**ts.

I mean, do you think even 1/10th of those people would defend an NI team singing about the murdering scum of the UVF? Ironically, this reflexive defence of the indefensible is actually a barrier to re-unification.
I endorse this message
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Ah give over. They were singing a song. A song that groups of people (including sports teams) sing all over the country, I've even heard it at weddings.
They were having fun with clearly no bad intention
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Laighin Break wrote: October 14th, 2022, 4:02 pm Ah give over. They were singing a song. A song that groups of people (including sports teams) sing all over the country, I've even heard it at weddings.
They were having fun with clearly no bad intention
Singing “ooh ah up the RA” is exactly as acceptable as making racist jokes.