Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Friday's rant

Post by paddyor »

Laighin Break wrote: October 14th, 2022, 10:38 pm Leinster players were recorded singing Celtic Symphony (the same song the Irish soccer team were singing) three years ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublin ... 35270.ampl
There’s no up their arse/up the ra in that though. Which shows that long time male pros have better social media awareness than their largely amateur female counterparts. As we learned when the womens rugby team launched into a social media tirade against the coaching/mgt a few months ago.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote: October 15th, 2022, 12:26 am
Laighin Break wrote: October 14th, 2022, 10:38 pm Leinster players were recorded singing Celtic Symphony (the same song the Irish soccer team were singing) three years ago

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dublin ... 35270.ampl
There’s no up their arse/up the ra in that though. Which shows that long time male pros have better social media awareness than their largely amateur female counterparts. As we learned when the womens rugby team launched into a social media tirade against the coaching/mgt a few months ago.
The one that got the guy they didn't like sacked, a huge apology and reforms that included an extra million a year?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Laighin Break wrote:Ah give over. They were singing a song. A song that groups of people (including sports teams) sing all over the country, I've even heard it at weddings.
They were having fun with clearly no bad intention
I was talking about their defenders rather than the players themselves. The reflexive insistence that casual support for the PIRA is normal is alarming. What does it say to - for example - Paul Quinn’s parents?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Should it be mandatory to record all Dressing Room celebrations, in every sport, for publication on Social Media?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Twist wrote: October 15th, 2022, 8:34 am
Laighin Break wrote:Ah give over. They were singing a song. A song that groups of people (including sports teams) sing all over the country, I've even heard it at weddings.
I was talking about their defenders rather than the players themselves. The reflexive insistence that casual support for the PIRA is normal is alarming. What does it say to - for example - Paul Quinn’s parents?
Gotcha. Tbf most of the people defending the players are doing just that - defending the players, who are celebrating a historic achievement by singing a popular song, not defending the IRA.
I know the Leinster video cuts off just before that part, but the difference in reaction between Leinster singing Celtic Symphony at the time compared to the Irish ladies soccer team is stark
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Anybody who saw the 2 mins plus segment of Irish Rugby League team celebrating (on BBC 2 last night) gets a clear view of how post-match celebration in Dressing Room should be portrayed, viz:

A. No sound;
B. Lots of smiles and dancing by players with excellent choreography BUT NO SOUND.

Well done the Irish Rugby League lads..
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Laighin Break wrote: October 17th, 2022, 8:14 am
Twist wrote: October 15th, 2022, 8:34 am
Gotcha. Tbf most of the people defending the players are doing just that - defending the players, who are celebrating a historic achievement by singing a popular song, not defending the IRA.
I know the Leinster video cuts off just before that part, but the difference in reaction between Leinster singing Celtic Symphony at the time compared to the Irish ladies soccer team is stark
I'd say the difference between singing about the IRA and not singing about the IRA is pretty stark too!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

You're a bit naive if you genuinely think that they didn't sing that part of the song
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 1:50 pm Clare Daly and Mick Wallace – a pair of Quisling f*cks. Two stooges for Putin who are a disgrace to Ireland.
Speak for yourself. I fully support their stance.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Laighin Break wrote: October 20th, 2022, 2:37 pm You're a bit naive if you genuinely think that they didn't sing that part of the song
I think Fintan O'Toole puts it very well:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2022 ... up-the-ra/

Fintan O’Toole: The full, unexpurgated version of Up the ’Ra

Up cutting the legs off young women shopping for wedding dresses. Up torturing kids with Black & Decker drills through their kneecaps...
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Podcasters and that sucking saliva sound. Probably not describing it properly. Sounds a bit like the machine in the dentists. You know the one, Fiona Hayes is probably the worst offender. F**king off-putting
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote: October 21st, 2022, 8:50 am Podcasters and that sucking saliva sound. Probably not describing it properly. Sounds a bit like the machine in the dentists. You know the one, Fiona Hayes is probably the worst offender. F**king off-putting
Salivating?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

leinsterforever wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:27 pm
hugonaut wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 1:50 pm Clare Daly and Mick Wallace – a pair of Quisling f*cks. Two stooges for Putin who are a disgrace to Ireland.
Speak for yourself. I fully support their stance.
so, exactly which piece of their stance do you fully support?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If Tory MPs re-elect Boris as leader, once again ignoring the views of the electorate, they will be preparing for their Party to follow the Whigs into oblivion.

The c.80k of Tory membership who supported Truss' election are probably the least representative segment of the English population.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 11:13 am If Tory MPs re-elect Boris as leader, once again ignoring the views of the electorate, they will be preparing for their Party to follow the Whigs into oblivion.

The c.80k of Tory membership who supported Truss' election are probably the least representative segment of the English population.
The views of the electorate? The last time their views were canvassed they gave bojo a landslide victory, to "get brexit done"!
He is the only politician in the UK with a mandate from the people.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 11:22 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 11:13 am If Tory MPs re-elect Boris as leader, once again ignoring the views of the electorate, they will be preparing for their Party to follow the Whigs into oblivion.

The views of the electorate? The last time their views were canvassed they gave bojo a landslide victory, to "get brexit done"!
He is the only politician in the UK with a mandate from the people.
I seem to remember that the Opposition to Boris was "led" by that charismatic man Corbyn who couldn't lead a stag party in a pub. The wonderful Tory victory was based on the promise of the fruits of Brexit combined with the infighting of Labour ' led' by Corbyn.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Boris is very good at convincing idiots that he's an amiable harmless buffer who they could go for a pint with. And England is peopled with a high proportion of idiots
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 2:32 pm Boris is very good at convincing idiots that he's an amiable harmless buffer who they could go for a pint with. And England is peopled with a high proportion of idiots
True, he's perfect.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Torys need a safe pair of hands to navigate them through this crisis knowing that most the electorate will move on.

They've lost the faith of markets (and the electorate) that they're financially competent. We all now know that the pension funds are vulnerable to a panic, there's a careful line to be walked between stabilising there and holding people above water in the cost of living crisis.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 1:45 am The Torys need a safe pair of hands to navigate them through this crisis knowing that most the electorate will move on.

They've lost the faith of markets (and the electorate) that they're financially competent. We all now know that the pension funds are vulnerable to a panic, there's a careful line to be walked between stabilising there and holding people above water in the cost of living crisis.
See, the thing is IMHO, the entire reason they left the EU is so they could go about mucking up their economy to the benefit of the money men who run the party. They give zero fox about the ordinary working family who have a family to raise and a home to pay for.

That Liz Trust mini budget stinks of a group of wealthy charlatans shorting the market for their own benefit and f%~k the rest of them…