Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Twist »

TerenureJim wrote: February 9th, 2021, 12:17 pm the Jerusalema challenge, am I the only one who think this is a bit of a mad waste of time and resources in normal times never mind a pandemic, all seems a bit unnecessary and maybe not overly professional or am I mad to agree with the Coast Guard as opposed to the Garda?
No I totally agree with you. A complete waste of energy.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Twist wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:46 am
TerenureJim wrote: February 9th, 2021, 12:17 pm the Jerusalema challenge, am I the only one who think this is a bit of a mad waste of time and resources in normal times never mind a pandemic, all seems a bit unnecessary and maybe not overly professional or am I mad to agree with the Coast Guard as opposed to the Garda?
No I totally agree with you. A complete waste of energy.
I would like to add the Garda Band into this mix. Was told by Guards it was good for PR and fostering good relationships in the community.

Cause all the drug dealers love a brass band. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just think when you see the Garda Band at a rugby match that is 30 odd Guards getting paid to not chase criminals. Add in 2 or 3 others driving the vans/minibus. Add in rehearsal days and that seems like a complete waste of resources to me.

I think there was only one instance in the history of the state where a Garda Band would have been a good idea.

When was that Ian? I hear you say. The answer is of course....

When the Guards were following the General all over the place in the '80s. Imagine him going in to sign on with the Garda Band following behind playing 'When the Saints go Marching on'.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Just to clarify. Members of the Garda band are not members of the force plucked from various stations just because they are pretty handy at "The Birdy Song" on the trumpet or "The Macarena" on a sax. They are musicians who applied to join the Garda Band when vacancies and recruitment competitions arose. They a re members of the band of An Garda Siochana and by extension members of the force. As it happens at this moment in time these men and woman are not rehearsing Ireland's Call and tuning their instruments, but have been redeployed on the front line to cover for colleagues who have struck down by this virus.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

John23 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:42 pm Just to clarify. Members of the Garda band are not members of the force plucked from various stations just because they are pretty handy at "The Birdy Song" on the trumpet or "The Macarena" on a sax. They are musicians who applied to join the Garda Band when vacancies and recruitment competitions arose. They a re members of the band of An Garda Siochana and by extension members of the force. As it happens at this moment in time these men and woman are not rehearsing Ireland's Call and tuning their instruments, but have been redeployed on the front line to cover for colleagues who have struck down by this virus.
Still a waste of money/resources.

We don't need Guards playing musical instruments now or at any other time.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

IanD wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:48 pm
John23 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:42 pm Just to clarify. Members of the Garda band are not members of the force plucked from various stations just because they are pretty handy at "The Birdy Song" on the trumpet or "The Macarena" on a sax. They are musicians who applied to join the Garda Band when vacancies and recruitment competitions arose. They a re members of the band of An Garda Siochana and by extension members of the force. As it happens at this moment in time these men and woman are not rehearsing Ireland's Call and tuning their instruments, but have been redeployed on the front line to cover for colleagues who have struck down by this virus.

Could be useful in certain scenarios though.
Like a seige situation for example.
"Come out with yer hands up or the the Garda Band will do a full rendition of "Now thats what I call Music 1984" using just recorders".
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

IanD wrote: February 10th, 2021, 3:48 pm

The point is that they are musicians hired into a professional band, rather than Gardaí playing musical instruments, so the "resource" argument is void. The fact that the band still exists after so many years must indicate that there is a demand for them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It’s arts money with the added benefit of being a friendly face of the police to help community outreach. It’s a lot less elitist than a philharmonic orchestra.

Musicians get jobs and Ireland has a brass band on retainer rather than paying ad hoc.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Being a neophyte in matters of Stockbrokers but reading the various episodes of the latest scandal, how is the behaviour of the 'Committee of 16' not straight fraud against their fellow shareholders (and fellow employees)?

They 'stole' the transaction from the company;
They 'stole' the fee for the transaction;
They 'stole' the profit from the transaction.

However, that isn't the full story. What about these items;

The firm had to make a 'substantial settlement' with Mr Kearney in 2016;
The firm had to pay all the legal costs for that action;
The firm was fined more than €4m by the Central Bank in 2021;
The firm had to pay all CB and own legal costs in 2021;
The actions of the "Committee of 16" reduced the goodwill value of the firm, due to the reputational damage in public trust?

Am I missing something, or have they just not announced yet that the owners are suing the 'Committee' for all of the above losses? If the firm was valued as surmised by the IT at a minimum of €350m in 2020, I reckon the losses at a minimum of €50m but possibly closer to €100m
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

2014 is a long time ago. Why did it take so long?
A lot of deep regret, which is mostly about being caught, I imagine, but then I've a vivid imagination.
Anyway it's only chicken feed, a mere €50m/€100m, small change to most of us.
And the worst thing of the lot is to have to listen to Mary Lou and the her army going on about golden circles.
Mind you, you'd buy a fair few ounces of gold for €100m or even €50m.
C'mon Leinster
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The papers are full of this megan markel/harry sh!te. The Irish papers. I mean really, who gives a flying fcuk!
BTW did oprah ask harry about his daddy, y'know what I mean.
Lad hasn't an once german bloood in him.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

blockhead wrote:The papers are full of this megan markel/harry sh!te. The Irish papers. I mean really, who gives a flying fcuk!
BTW did oprah ask harry about his daddy, y'know what I mean.
Lad hasn't an once german bloood in him.
Yeah... I was wondering if he misunderstood the question. I reckon they weren't asking what colour the kids skin would be... They were wondering what colour the hair would be.

Not too many gingers in that family

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Loads in the Spencer and Roche families though
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Mike's Catt
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote: March 14th, 2021, 7:58 pmMike's Catt
Chap is stealing a living, reminds of Homer as a football coach.

Time for one last play, Coach.

Hold on. I'm working it out.

[Vibrating]

Okay, half of you vibrate that way, two of you fall down...Sexto, you just spin around in a circle.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Listening to OTB Rugby podcast and in the opening soundbites I hear what I guess is some soccer player threatening to slap another soccer player.
Soccer players trying so hard to sound like tough men SMH, lads give it up, it's just sad.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Had an appalling dream that Toulon hockeyed us off the pitch only to wake up and find out that Lifestyle Sports has attempted to send my order to Andorra, charged me 25 quid delivery, dispatched the item and now UPS have returned same to Lifestyle Sports.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:21 am Had an appalling dream that Toulon hockeyed us off the pitch only to wake up and find out that Lifestyle Sports has attempted to send my order to Andorra, charged me 25 quid delivery, dispatched the item and now UPS have returned same to Lifestyle Sports.
UPS are utterly terrible. Mining bitcoin is easier than communicating with them.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So are the f^cking dandelions. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Player ratings. Utterly f*cking stupid.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Teacher's conferences in Easter week.

Year after year, teachers devote 51 weeks to acquiring the admiration of their students and their parents by their dedication, only for their Trade Union leaders to p#$s it away in one week after Easter by their claims of 'entitlement' to something or another, accompanied by their allies in RTE.

WHAT A PAIN.