Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
RoboProp
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3736
Joined: December 29th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Location: Mandalore

Re: Friday's rant

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 28th, 2022, 11:14 pm Leinster and Liverpool
Are you OK, DC? Please don't be listening to Toni Braxton "Unbreak my heart" on loop
This is the way
User avatar
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner
Posts: 23921
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 3:32 pm
Location: None of your damn business
Contact:

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Dave Cahill »

Faith by The Cure, mostly.
I have Bumbleflex
User avatar
RoboProp
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3736
Joined: December 29th, 2008, 2:45 pm
Location: Mandalore

Re: Friday's rant

Post by RoboProp »

Logorrhea wrote: May 25th, 2022, 6:13 pm US conservatives jumping on the "mental health crisis" needs to be addressed ............... followed by thoughts and prayers. Not a chance they will fight the gun lobby regardless of how many of their kids get shot.

A broken country.
I was born and raised in the US, and my dad decided when I was 10 to retire and bring the family to Ireland as he thought the US was not place to raise a family due to their love of guns. This was in the late 80s. He was of the opinion that it was only going to get worse there, sadly I think he was correct.

There is a lot I love about America, there is a lot I dislike and mostly these past few years there's a lot that terrifies me. I know it's not all crippling debt to medical bills, or racism, or climate change denial, or anti-workers rights, or fentanyl addiction or gun loving bible bashers, but so much of it is.
The bit I can't wrap my head around is these "Christian" RWNJs who think guns are good and free medicine is bad; now I'm agnostic so my catechism is a little rusty, I can't remember the bit in the Bible where JC told the lepers to eff off as they weren't covered under their HMO, or when Jesus told the apostles to tool up with AR-15 with armour piercing hollow-points as they were going to take Pilate down.
This is the way
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
Posts: 12909
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Friday's rant

Post by ronk »

It's a concept of liberty where freedom meant the right to seize lands from Native Americans and treat some people as another's property.

The freedom to be a shithead trumps the idea of civic responsibility. That's why so many chafed against the thought of having to social distance, wear a mask and get vaccinated just to save other people's lives. Or why they sabotage even the most sensible gun safety restrictions. Rights aren't really rights unless you trample on someone else to get them. The pain and suffering isn't a bug, it's a feature. America could have universal healthcare for a lot less than what is currently spent there on healthcare. It's not apathy or inertia, there's visceral, vicious, scorched-earth opposition.

There are plenty of good people of faith in America. But there are also influential bad people associated with organised religion.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Cian Healy
Posts: 14539
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 7:49 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 29th, 2022, 1:10 pm The referee's decision to penalise Ross Molony at 71.38 on the match clock was wrong, just wrong. Big Mike was in a jackal position, Molony moved immediately to his feet and at no time obstructs the ball. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

In a game of tiny margins. This was a critical decision.

Rant, rant rant, etc.
That was far from the only bad decision (for both sides in fairness) but I'm at peace with them because we just played badly, I don't feel like we were robbed in any way.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Cian Healy
Posts: 14539
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 7:49 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

David Quinn.
User avatar
hugonaut
Shane Jennings
Posts: 6136
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by hugonaut »

RoboProp wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:09 am There is a lot I love about America, there is a lot I dislike and mostly these past few years there's a lot that terrifies me. I know it's not all crippling debt to medical bills, or racism, or climate change denial, or anti-workers rights, or fentanyl addiction or gun loving bible bashers, but so much of it is.
Somebody posted a snippet of the Nixon Tapes recently on Twitter where Tricky Dicky was railing against handguns: [source: https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/ ... 2500946947 ]

"I don’t know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house….Can’t we go after handguns, period?...I know the rifle association will be against it, the gun makers will be against it…People should not have handguns." - R. Nixon [ Rep.]

Sort of amazing to see how far the American right has moved right. Nixon was well before my time, but I always thought of him as being the ur-Republican. He'd be an absolute centrist in the current American political climate.
User avatar
paddyor
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4704
Joined: November 16th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote: May 30th, 2022, 9:00 pm
RoboProp wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:09 am There is a lot I love about America, there is a lot I dislike and mostly these past few years there's a lot that terrifies me. I know it's not all crippling debt to medical bills, or racism, or climate change denial, or anti-workers rights, or fentanyl addiction or gun loving bible bashers, but so much of it is.
Somebody posted a snippet of the Nixon Tapes recently on Twitter where Tricky Dicky was railing against handguns: [source: https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/ ... 2500946947 ]

"I don’t know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house….Can’t we go after handguns, period?...I know the rifle association will be against it, the gun makers will be against it…People should not have handguns." - R. Nixon [ Rep.]

Sort of amazing to see how far the American right has moved right. Nixon was well before my time, but I always thought of him as being the ur-Republican. He'd be an absolute centrist in the current American political climate.
Imagine a republican who created the EPA????
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
Oldschool
Cian Healy
Posts: 13949
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:09 am
Logorrhea wrote: May 25th, 2022, 6:13 pm US conservatives jumping on the "mental health crisis" needs to be addressed ............... followed by thoughts and prayers. Not a chance they will fight the gun lobby regardless of how many of their kids get shot.

A broken country.
I was born and raised in the US, and my dad decided when I was 10 to retire and bring the family to Ireland as he thought the US was not place to raise a family due to their love of guns. This was in the late 80s. He was of the opinion that it was only going to get worse there, sadly I think he was correct.

There is a lot I love about America, there is a lot I dislike and mostly these past few years there's a lot that terrifies me. I know it's not all crippling debt to medical bills, or racism, or climate change denial, or anti-workers rights, or fentanyl addiction or gun loving bible bashers, but so much of it is.
The bit I can't wrap my head around is these "Christian" RWNJs who think guns are good and free medicine is bad; now I'm agnostic so my catechism is a little rusty, I can't remember the bit in the Bible where JC told the lepers to eff off as they weren't covered under their HMO, or when Jesus told the apostles to tool up with AR-15 with armour piercing hollow-points as they were going to take Pilate down.
In a way you've hit the nail on the head.
It's demonisation.
They got Trump because of a very unpalatable alternative.
They got Biden because of a very unpalatable alternative.
Their aging politicians on both sides are grimly holding on to power and their main weapon of choice is demonisation of their opponents.
Meanwhile people in Ireland pontificate about a broken American should have a look at the stye in their own eye.
Ireland isn't just broken it's dysfunctional and getting worse.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10083
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Friday's rant

Post by fourthirtythree »

hugonaut wrote: May 30th, 2022, 9:00 pm
RoboProp wrote: May 30th, 2022, 11:09 am There is a lot I love about America, there is a lot I dislike and mostly these past few years there's a lot that terrifies me. I know it's not all crippling debt to medical bills, or racism, or climate change denial, or anti-workers rights, or fentanyl addiction or gun loving bible bashers, but so much of it is.
Somebody posted a snippet of the Nixon Tapes recently on Twitter where Tricky Dicky was railing against handguns: [source: https://twitter.com/BeschlossDC/status/ ... 2500946947 ]

"I don’t know why any individual should have a right to have a revolver in his house….Can’t we go after handguns, period?...I know the rifle association will be against it, the gun makers will be against it…People should not have handguns." - R. Nixon [ Rep.]

Sort of amazing to see how far the American right has moved right. Nixon was well before my time, but I always thought of him as being the ur-Republican. He'd be an absolute centrist in the current American political climate.
He was in many ways to the "left" of the current Democratic party of Obama and Biden. What he was though was a racist who came up with the Southern Strategy, a criminal who sponsored burglary of political rivals, a traitor who opened a back channel to scupper the Paris peace talks to prolong a war he knew he was going to get out of as soon as he took office, in order to get in office, and who lied about it all.

So he really was the spiritual and intellectual founder of the modern Republican party.
User avatar
Dexter
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3512
Joined: April 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 30th, 2022, 3:03 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: May 29th, 2022, 1:10 pm The referee's decision to penalise Ross Molony at 71.38 on the match clock was wrong, just wrong. Big Mike was in a jackal position, Molony moved immediately to his feet and at no time obstructs the ball. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

In a game of tiny margins. This was a critical decision.

Rant, rant rant, etc.
That was far from the only bad decision (for both sides in fairness) but I'm at peace with them because we just played badly, I don't feel like we were robbed in any way.
In hindsight, with the way that game went we could have had a pen kick in the last minute to put 7 between us and the ball would have hit both posts before bouncing off the crossbar back into the field of play, bounced off 2 Leinster players heads, into the arms of a startled LaR player who takes off down the pitch and scores under the posts, avoiding 2 Leinster tacklers whose laces came undone at exactly the wrong moment and trip them up...
Dont Panic!
User avatar
paddyor
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4704
Joined: November 16th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by paddyor »

The blurb on the the42s post HCC podcast about the final says "you don't win a Champions Cup going 3-6-9". Thats literally how we won in 2018 and Sarcens won it 2016. I know the game has changed a bit since, and I'd liked us to play with a bit more swagger, but that's just wrong.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
ronk
Cian Healy
Posts: 12909
Joined: April 9th, 2009, 12:42 am

Re: Friday's rant

Post by ronk »

We scored the 4th highest points total for a losing side in HC history.

The blurb is fine for people who make trends out of 1 data point.

The 2001 final was an example. Stade lost with 9 penalties and a drop goal. But that was winnable too, they conceded a try at the death.

We conceded 2 soft trys off mistakes and 1 pressure one. The fact that we had a lead that was penalty proof was almost enough.
User avatar
Mags
Learner
Posts: 62
Joined: January 14th, 2008, 11:09 pm
Location: Waiting for Bodot

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Mags »

Ticketmaster
mfjoc
Graduate
Posts: 554
Joined: November 24th, 2008, 9:45 am

Re: Friday's rant

Post by mfjoc »

Mags wrote: June 8th, 2022, 5:50 pmTicketmaster
I think you meant Ticket฿asdard
User avatar
paddyor
Shane Horgan
Posts: 4704
Joined: November 16th, 2012, 11:48 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by paddyor »

AIB authenticator app. It's completely bunged up their customer service too. I spent an hour on the phone before walking into the bank only for them to have me use the phone in the bank which was a further 25 minute wait. Of course they were priotorizing the phone lines in the branch which answered before my own mobile phone was. So they want you to stay out of the branch but they priorotze the phones in the branch
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Cian Healy
Posts: 14539
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 7:49 pm

Re: Friday's rant

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

John Waters.
User avatar
Oldschoolsocks
Seán Cronin
Posts: 3501
Joined: January 4th, 2015, 10:36 am
Location: Stepping out of the Supernova

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:48 pm John Waters.
I don’t even know what he wrote or said to prompt this, but if past experience is anything to go by then yup, 100%
User avatar
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen
Posts: 10083
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Location: Eight miles high

Re: Friday's rant

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:56 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 1:48 pm John Waters.
I don’t even know what he wrote or said to prompt this, but if past experience is anything to go by then yup, 100%
Oh c'mon! The Pope of Trash is an international treasure at this stage!

There is no other.
FLIP
Rhys Ruddock
Posts: 2481
Joined: May 22nd, 2009, 1:00 am

Re: Friday's rant

Post by FLIP »

Dealing with a puppy who isn't fully grasping toilet outside, howls when she doesn't get what she wants, and is mouthy. At least she sleeps through the night
Anyone But New Zealand
Post Reply