Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Friday's rant

Post by johng »

I'm guessing that my life will be richer if i don't google that?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

It’s a bit like marmite johng, you won’t know whether you like it until you try it
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A great old friend of mine died yesterday, of a decent age but still with much life to live. He used always tell me that Ireland had four classes, those who loved sport, those who thought politics was an essential food of life, those who believed that the arts fed their body and soul and those who thrived only on the horses.

The groups are not mutually exclusive but when you scratch the service, you'll always get to kernal which betrays the absolute essence of each individual's true fascination.

I was particularly reminded of him last night when I read of the 'hurricane in a tea cup' that some journos are trying to stir up about Varadker's supply of a supposedly confidential document relating to negotiations between one group of GPs with the Department and the alternate GP negotiating body. Anybody who understands why there are two bodies representing GPs will fully understand the stupidity of both the existance of the two groups and the venality of Varadkar's disclosure.

This is a non-story of ridiculous proportion and a demonstration of just what how disproportionate our judgement has become under this pandemic. My sadly deceased friend, who despite his ardent love of sport, was an avowed and committed 'political animal', would have devoured every word and rumour and endulged himself in a rake of pints whilst speculating on the potential implications.

Rest well my friend and be assured that the political games will continue long beyond us all and will rarely be important, except to keep us fascinated and giving us a reason for a decent thirst
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 31st, 2020, 12:18 am It’s a bit like marmite johng, you won’t know whether you like it until you try it
The smell from it would be a clue.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 1st, 2020, 9:30 am A great old friend of mine died yesterday, of a decent age but still with much life to live. He used always tell me that Ireland had four classes, those who loved sport, those who thought politics was an essential food of life, those who believed that the arts fed their body and soul and those who thrived only on the horses.

The groups are not mutually exclusive but when you scratch the service, you'll always get to kernal which betrays the absolute essence of each individual's true fascination.

I was particularly reminded of him last night when I read of the 'hurricane in a tea cup' that some journos are trying to stir up about Varadker's supply of a supposedly confidential document relating to negotiations between one group of GPs with the Department and the alternate GP negotiating body. Anybody who understands why there are two bodies representing GPs will fully understand the stupidity of both the existance of the two groups and the venality of Varadkar's disclosure.

This is a non-story of ridiculous proportion and a demonstration of just what how disproportionate our judgement has become under this pandemic. My sadly deceased friend, who despite his ardent love of sport, was an avowed and committed 'political animal', would have devoured every word and rumour and endulged himself in a rake of pints whilst speculating on the potential implications.

Rest well my friend and be assured that the political games will continue long beyond us all and will rarely be important, except to keep us fascinated and giving us a reason for a decent thirst
Firstly Varadkar, you are correct.
However Ireland has always being like that, the pandemic hasn't changed anything.
With regard to your friend.
Lovely heartfelt sentiments and expressed very sincerely.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote: October 30th, 2020, 11:39 pm I'm guessing that my life will be richer if i don't google that?
Joe Rogan is the most popular podcast on the planet who frequently gives airtime to Alex Jones and his ilk. He's a big advocate of broscience, telling people "Hey you know what will see off Corona, your immune system" just a grade A d0ucheweasal. They're a nut's hair width away from anti-vaxxers
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

People who say 'form is temporary, class is permanent' when talking about sports people.

If it is true we should start Darcy and BOD tonight in the centre with ISA at fullback.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RoboProp wrote: November 2nd, 2020, 8:43 am
johng wrote: October 30th, 2020, 11:39 pm I'm guessing that my life will be richer if i don't google that?
Joe Rogan is the most popular podcast on the planet who frequently gives airtime to Alex Jones and his ilk. He's a big advocate of broscience, telling people "Hey you know what will see off Corona, your immune system" just a grade A d0ucheweasal. They're a nut's hair width away from anti-vaxxers
And if the Donald says some bullsh!t, which he does of course, JoeRogan will be saying it too later.
Although he does have some good science chats with real scientists, and he has had Bill Burr on at least once, he's a fan of Dave Chappelle too, so there's that.
He's worth a watch I'd say.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sitting here with my pasta titties really wishing the gyms were open again. Head f%~king wrecked now.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Peg Leg wrote: November 19th, 2020, 2:34 pm Sitting here with my pasta titties really wishing the gyms were open again. Head f%~king wrecked now.
Snapped a belt today.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Are Teaching Unions the biggest moaners during Covid-19.

Teachers do a great job. Their Union Reps are a constant pain, always looking for coverage in media.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So anyone know what happened to the internet in Ireland, tonight, Friday 27Nov?
Was it just Vodafone?
Perhaps a new COVID mutation - COVOD.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote: November 27th, 2020, 10:14 pm So anyone know what happened to the internet in Ireland, tonight, Friday 27Nov?
Was it just Vodafone?
Perhaps a new COVID mutation - COVOD.
No, between 5.30 & approx. 8.00 pm, Eir, Virgin & Vodafone were all reporting outages in SW Dublin.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sad to hear overnight of the death of former French centre Jean Pierre Lux. A good friend of Irish rugby and close collaborator with Kiernan, Millar and Dawson in the origination of the European Cup. He was particularly screwed by the English and French alicadoos when they hijacked the Heineken Cup organisation to Switzerland and dismantled the best ever European Club competition.

He should have been President of the FFR but Blanco out-politicked him in the Pyrennes Region and then messed up his own campaign.

He loved Irish rugby and particularly the rivalry between Leinster and Munster, which he always compared to that between Biarritz and Perpignan. Rugby-wise, he considered both Perpignan & Munster to be "the dark side".

RIP Jean Pierre.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I saw him at one of our Christmas games in Lansdowne a few years back. I can't remember who we were playing, it might have been Toulon.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Stream-of-conciousness-word-salads!!!
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Banks at it again.
Equity Release - Equity Rip off would be more accurate.
Joe Duffy had a section on this.
The phrase Caveat Emptor" doesn't even come close.
Interest rate of 7%. I'd love to know how they came up with that rate given what the ECB base rate is.
What exactly do our financial ombudsman and central bank get paid for? Not to protect you or me that's for sure.
Take a bow Joe and the people who brought it to his attention.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A post-prandial reflection on a piece I heard on OTB about what was in the sports sections today.

OMG, what drivel was talked about Irish team selections. "I'm not against selecting players like JGP, who have come here to make a tidy living out of their rugby talent, but when they have two players with equal talent, I always like to see the Irish-born player, like John Cooney, get the call-up".

No selection at any level in Irish rugby ever gives two brass farthings where a player was born. There is a list of eligible players and a corresponding list of what the Head Coach / Coaches think of their abilities, rugby-wise, personality and temperament. The latter is unwritten, largely because of the laws of libel, and the former is cast in stone and widely published.

Coaches picks Squads and even individual players, purely on the basis of what they perceive the players will bring to match day. Nothing else.

So can every Journo / Broadcaster / Keyboard Warrior get it into their noggin. No Coach of any National team of any sport in Ireland gives a flying f#uk where any eligible player was born. If they're on the list of those eligible, it's only about what they can deliver on the day in question. Nothing else and nor should it be.

Now, where's the rest of that bottle of Merlot?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 31st, 2021, 7:57 pm A post-prandial reflection on a piece I heard on OTB about what was in the sports sections today.

OMG, what drivel was talked about Irish team selections. "I'm not against selecting players like JGP, who have come here to make a tidy living out of their rugby talent, but when they have two players with equal talent, I always like to see the Irish-born player, like John Cooney, get the call-up".

No selection at any level in Irish rugby ever gives two brass farthings where a player was born. There is a list of eligible players and a corresponding list of what the Head Coach / Coaches think of their abilities, rugby-wise, personality and temperament. The latter is unwritten, largely because of the laws of libel, and the former is cast in stone and widely published.

Coaches picks Squads and even individual players, purely on the basis of what they perceive the players will bring to match day. Nothing else.

So can every Journo / Broadcaster / Keyboard Warrior get it into their noggin. No Coach of any National team of any sport in Ireland gives a flying f#uk where any eligible player was born. If they're on the list of those eligible, it's only about what they can deliver on the day in question. Nothing else and nor should it be.

Now, where's the rest of that bottle of Merlot?
Parking the bit about origins etc have you never wondered what is going through the coaches minds when you see some of the selections they make.
So long as they pick the best 23 available I'd be happy but the large number of times they get this wrong is unfathomable.
Issues that come to mind such as, selecting sacred cows, selecting players who are patently not fit, selecting players out of position, selecting players who are past it and perhaps worst of all selecting players who are obviously out of form, happen far too often.
Perception is truly a remarkably unreliable method to use when making selection decisions because quite frankly there seems to be a huge mismatch between what they perceive and what the reality is.
PS, hope you enjoyed the Merlot.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

the Jerusalema challenge, am I the only one who think this is a bit of a mad waste of time and resources in normal times never mind a pandemic, all seems a bit unnecessary and maybe not overly professional or am I mad to agree with the Coast Guard as opposed to the Garda?