Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Friday's rant

Post by Leinsterman »

We might keep this going every week.
Today's one:
Newstalk ad: "I want to tell you about a little girl called Mariama"

At this stage I couldn't give a f*ck if she has to walk 7 miles every day to get water. Talk about overkill. The ad is on several times an hour!
Still, at least it isn't an ad for GOAL :roll:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Scott »

Ye it’s doin’ my nut also! My theory is Newstalk are struggling badly to fill the ad slots and just keep playing the same ad’s over n over for pittance if not for free. If I hear that bloody ad for the pub again – the REALLY long one that’s made to sound like 3 ads ……..i swear it would drive you to drink! (sorry)
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Scott wrote: ……..i swear it would drive you to drink! (sorry)

Sounds like the ad is working. :wink:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've often wondered what charities have to pay for advertising...is there a discount or a certain amount of free advertising that a station has to provide or is it just that they have to pay the same as everybody else?
Tara
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Tara »

Yup, they have to pay same as anyone else, unless they can negotiate a better deal with the relevant media outlet. For example they could make it results based and tie it into the amount of funds they raise from the campaign. That creates an incentive for the station to repeat the ads which may explain the recent saturation.

Most charities will publish their accounts on their web-sites and you can see what they spend on marketing. It's usually a significant part of their spend as without publicity they can't raise funds.
"What is immediately striking is that as soon as an oval ball appears in a group of men there's an extraordinary release of heat." Robert Roy
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Scott wrote:Ye it’s doin’ my nut also! My theory is Newstalk are struggling badly to fill the ad slots and just keep playing the same ad’s over n over for pittance if not for free. If I hear that bloody ad for the pub again – the REALLY long one that’s made to sound like 3 ads ……..i swear it would drive you to drink! (sorry)
Well, Newstalk's big thing lately is to keep advertising themselves over and over again. The spectacularly awful Breakfast Show plays segments of "The Emergency" which isn't really that funny. And the number of competitions they run now, encouraging listeners to part with 30 cent such as the Twix Teeser thing on the Moncrief show yesterday - "Which two players have Real Madrid signed for £136 million", a complete money grabbing exercise. After the news and sport, they have an ad break, then Eamon Keane reads out a few texts, they then go on another ad break, and finally get stuck into he show. Much of Newstalk is good, but too much is bland and annoying. That voice over (like the Mariama one) "Newstalk 106-108. Different Station. Different Nation" is head-smashing-through-windscreen-stuff
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

suisse wrote:. The spectacularly awful Breakfast Show
I don't know that its awful, it just keeps getting rid of good presenters like Williams and Gilroy, whilst keeping Claire Byrne. I think Ivan Yates has real potential
I have Bumbleflex
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

suisse wrote:then Eamon Keane reads out a few texts, they then go on another ad break, and finally get stuck into he show.

You forgot the bit about Keane performing fellatio on Mick Galwey at every opportunity, or "my very good friend Mick Galwey".
"How about that game of golf Mick" :roll:
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I do like me a good irrational rant. Read in one of the free papers that PETA were p1ssed off with Barack Obama for swatting a fly. It read like a wind up but it wasn't!
http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/06/o ... _the_f.php
I can understand and agree with PETA being anti-fur etc but a defending a fly?! Dirty little vile b@stards who vomit enzymes onto food as part of their digestive process. F**king disgusting creatures. I'm sure evidence can be given to the importance of the flies role in our ecosystems but if one of them comes into my house and starts fluting about that f**ker is going down. So for being feckin eejits who stick up for flies, PETA get my Friday rate...oh and ginger people with dreadlocks you guys suck too!
Show Spoiler:
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Dave Cahill wrote:
suisse wrote:. The spectacularly awful Breakfast Show
I don't know that its awful, it just keeps getting rid of good presenters like Williams and Gilroy, whilst keeping Claire Byrne. I think Ivan Yates has real potential
Ger Gilroy was totally out of his depth. I'm not saying I'm any better, but intellectually and politically, he was a lightweight. He probably wasn't helped by Claire Byrne's daily campaign to hold the biggest fight on radio. I just hate the way the show brings on a guest, initially, say, being interviewed by Gilroy, only to be ambushed by Byrne on a totally unrelated topic. It was too magaziney as well, following up a decent interview with a very loud on air discussion about odd socks or your favourite wind direction.

Ivan Yates is OK, but they are bordering on the edge of impartiality with regards to their Fine Gael interviews. They'd wanna be careful. A few people will contemplate writing to the BCI
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

RoboProp wrote:I do like me a good irrational rant. Read in one of the free papers that PETA were p1ssed off with Barack Obama for swatting a fly. It read like a wind up but it wasn't!
http://blog.peta.org/archives/2009/06/o ... _the_f.php
I can understand and agree with PETA being anti-fur etc but a defending a fly?! Dirty little vile b@stards who vomit enzymes onto food as part of their digestive process. F**king disgusting creatures. I'm sure evidence can be given to the importance of the flies role in our ecosystems but if one of them comes into my house and starts fluting about that f**ker is going down. So for being feckin eejits who stick up for flies, PETA get my Friday rate...oh and ginger people with dreadlocks you guys suck too!
Show Spoiler:

I have nothing against insects. Most insects do their thing and go about their day and don't bother me.
I don't want to see them and they don't want to see me and we are mutually happy with this arrangement.
I respect their right to exist and wish these creatures no harm.

But flies!!!!! :evil:

F**KING b$&%@#ds!!!!!

Evil little scumbags, the dirty little skangers of the insect world.

They just won't let it be will they?

You're sitting in your living room enjoying a warm day with the windows open on a rare day that you can actually wear shorts in this country. As you're slowly dozing off you sense a presence in the room. A f%~king fly!!!!!

Now you can ignore the noise and continue your slumber but the little b$&%@#d (with his miniture burberry cap) is determined to piss you off no matter what. So he deliberately flies near you and then lands on your bare legs just to piss you off even more. After ten minutes of this, even the f%~king Dalei Lama would be driven homicidal and you seek out the nearest rolled up paper to seek vengence.

The broader insect community look at this despondantly - "look at these scumbag chav insects giving us all a bad name!"

So I propose that in the interests of insect-human relations I suggest the permanent genocide of the fly. These disease ridden b$&%@#ds are no use to man nor beast.

KILL 'EM ALL!!!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Here's a little pointer for you Donny, kill the alpha-fly and put his head on a toothpick outside your window to serve as a warning to the others! :twisted:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

RoboProp wrote:Here's a little pointer for you Donny, kill the alpha-fly and put his head on a toothpick outside your window to serve as a warning to the
others! :twisted:
Son, when I kill flies, there's nothing but a mushy stain on the wall left!!! :twisted:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

There i was last saturday afternoon. Just put the little girl to bed. Logged on to t'internet. Loud buzzing at the window/door out to the yard. Look up see a big arse bee there. Ignore it. Noise gets louder.

eventually it sounds like one of those films where it's attack of the killer bees. Wander over to the windows. Yard black with a swarm of BEES.
Loud. Kind of frightening really, slammed the door shut and ran upstairs to make sure the window wasn't open in the girls room.

Flies are horrible, but swarms of bees are primally frightening. I know we're supposed to be worried about the collapse of bee colonies but I have never seen a colony reach saturation and swarm to another site. It's kind of awesome.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

RoboProp wrote:I do like me a good irrational rant. Read in one of the free papers that PETA were p1ssed off with Barack Obama for swatting a fly. It read like a wind up but it wasn't!
dont get me started on PETA. Eating a nice steak makes you as bad as Nazis in Autzwich? Horse-racing is akin to legalised slavery? Owning a pet makes you an evil person?

Idiots with too much time on their hands
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

gfo wrote:
dont get me started on PETA. Eating a nice steak makes you as bad as Nazis in Autzwich? Horse-racing is akin to legalised slavery? Owning a pet makes you an evil person?

Idiots with too much time on their hands
Heard a story from a lecturer now who used to work in Dublin Zoo (running the place rather than cleaning up sh!t), he was walking his dog in the Phoenix Park one day and spotted protesters outside the zoo, so he decided to go talk to them, as he reached them he told his dog to sit or stay or something upon which they hurled abuse at him such as "how dare you tell you dog what to do", etc etc. They are some of the most irrational people on the planet.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Leinsterman wrote:We might keep this going every week.
Today's one:
Newstalk ad: "I want to tell you about a little girl called Mariama"

At this stage I couldn't give a f*ck if she has to walk 7 miles every day to get water. Talk about overkill. The ad is on several times an hour!
Still, at least it isn't an ad for GOAL :roll:

http://twentymajor.net/mariana_mix.mp3

brilliant!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Yanky Fachler :evil:
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
rex banner
Mullet

Post by rex banner »

''Human slaves in an insect nation.........woahooohooohh''
`````````\|||/
`````````(o o)
,--ooO-----(_)-------------l
| ```````PAINT ```````l
| ````````THE````````l
| `````` `RDS````````l
| ```````BLUE````````l
'--------------Ooo---------l
````````|__|__|
`````````||``||
````````ooO Ooo
Sarphil
Enlightened

Post by Sarphil »

Look, pissed off that the most important leader in the world gets his kicks from killing flies. I always open my bloody windows and spend a long time getting them out, But I am not going to swat them as they have their place in the same way that humans do. What makes us so bloody special?
'la vista che m'apparve d'un leone
Questi parea che contra me venisse
con la test'alta e con rabbiosa fame,
sì che parea che l'aere ne tremesse'
INFERNO CANTO 01

http://www.bornfree.org.uk