Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Friday's rant

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:Tbh I didn’t know what to expect, but there’s something seriously wrong with a population that can’t stay at home for a bit during a global f%~king pandemic
It's not unique to us though. It happened in Northern Italy recently.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:Tbh I didn’t know what to expect, but there’s something seriously wrong with a population that can’t stay at home for a bit during a global f%~king pandemic
Seems trite, but look at northern Italy now. We’ve had months to look at this.

PLUS it’s now officially a WHO GLOBAL PANDEMIC
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
It demonstrates a complete failure of our education system to explain to students/pupils what an exponential curve is and more particularly the fact that it has practical uses.
Chernobyl was another very good example of what happens when an exponential curve gets out of hand.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:
paddyor wrote:
It demonstrates a complete failure of our education system to explain to students/pupils what an exponential curve is and more particularly the fact that it has practical uses.
Chernobyl was another very good example of what happens when an exponential curve gets out of hand.
Well said
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Friday's rant

Post by Twist »

Oldschool wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I think it shows what happens when people live for too long in a country that’s sheltered from disaster and the effects of political trauma. Ireland has been a very safe place for a long time, especially since the GFA. We seem to think of ourselves as immune to big events.

In the days before the pandemic came to dominate the news cycle Russian bombers flew up and down our west coast. There was barely a flicker of concern about it in the media.

“It’ll be grand”, because it always has been before. That doesn’t mean it always will be.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
paddyor wrote:
Seems trite, but look at northern Italy now. We’ve had months to look at this.

PLUS it’s now officially a WHO GLOBAL PANDEMIC
I didn't mean to be glib. This is a good thread on why Eatern countries have handled it better than western ones. They've been burned before by these epidemics. The Japanese and the chinese at least are that bit more deferential to authority than most western countries IMO. All I meant was I'm not surprised the govt said jump and lots of us went "Give us a minute"

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scholars_Sta ... 7367643139

Don't agree we had months. GE only happened on the 8th february and it's dominated the news cycle up until about 2 weeks ago. There is an element of circumstance to it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschool wrote: It demonstrates a complete ailure of our education system to explain to students/pupils what an exponential curve is and more particularly the fact that it has practical uses.
Not having that at all. This is about personal responsibility(which I think we're generally bad about) rather than the failure of the education system or the state.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

paddyor wrote:
Oldschool wrote: It demonstrates a complete ailure of our education system to explain to students/pupils what an exponential curve is and more particularly the fact that it has practical uses.
Not having that at all. This is about personal responsibility(which I think we're generally bad about) rather than the failure of the education system or the state.
Agree with you, my own comment isn't relevant.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Xanthippe wrote:
Twist wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:Congrats
Thanks, but to be honest I'm terrified!
Ah we all are first time around - whether we're about to be a new mammy or a new daddy. Don't worry - babies are normally quite resilient and are well able to let you know if you're doing something they don't particularly like!!!

Give your self a chance, don't forget to breathe and most importantly - enjoy yourself. They are only tiny helpless things for a very short time
Update; the tiny helpless thing arrived a couple of weeks early. So that’s taking the edge off any boredom!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

nice - congrats and enjoy your time with your baby
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Peg Leg wrote:
Twist wrote:This 'impending fatherhood' caper is really taking the shine off the Six Nations for me. She's starting off on the wrong foot.
Congrats
Xanthippe wrote:
Twist wrote: Thanks, but to be honest I'm terrified!
Ah we all are first time around - whether we're about to be a new mammy or a new daddy. Don't worry - babies are normally quite resilient and are well able to let you know if you're doing something they don't particularly like!!!

Give your self a chance, don't forget to breathe and most importantly - enjoy yourself. They are only tiny helpless things for a very short time
Twist wrote:
Update; the tiny helpless thing arrived a couple of weeks early. So that’s taking the edge off any boredom!
Oh congratulations - I know it’s a very difficult time but hopefully the silver lining is all the time you’ll get to spend with the new baba.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Xanthippe wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
Twist wrote:This 'impending fatherhood' caper is really taking the shine off the Six Nations for me. She's starting off on the wrong foot.
Congrats
Xanthippe wrote:
Twist wrote: Thanks, but to be honest I'm terrified!

Twist wrote:
Oh congratulations - I know it’s a very difficult time but hopefully the silver lining is all the time you’ll get to spend with the new baba.
Cheers Xan. It’s her first night home from hospital tonight. So far she’s as placid as a sloth on xanax. Hope our luck holds for the next 20-something years!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Many congratulations.

Our second arrived two months ago, we didn't go for Corona, or Covid, as names.....

First one is absolutely climbing the walls. Thank-fock we have a garden as otherwise infanticide may have already taken place. Feel for those cooped up in apartments.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Day 21 without rugby. I went to my wife's side of the bed just so I could hear someone say "Roll away" again.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

John23 wrote:Day 21 without rugby. I went to my wife's side of the bed just so I could hear someone say "Roll away" again.
Maybe next time she'll shout "In at the side"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll get my coat.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

blockhead wrote:
John23 wrote:Day 21 without rugby. I went to my wife's side of the bed just so I could hear someone say "Roll away" again.
Maybe next time she'll shout "In at the side"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll get my coat.
"In through the gate"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Ryanair....again!
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ups twice delivered same package to the wrong address and uncontactable.

Who woulda thunk a courier company couldn’t competently use an eircode
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

domhnallj wrote:Ryanair....again!
Agreed
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:ups twice delivered same package to the wrong address and uncontactable.

Who woulda thunk a courier company couldn’t competently use an eircode
I'm just off the phone to another "major international delivery firm" enquiring why a package destined to Ireland made it to Dublin through Brussels (their hub) only to be sent on to Copenhagen and then back to Brussels :roll:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you