Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Friday's rant

Post by sarah_lennon »

Leinsterman wrote:I've just realised I have a stag, wedding and wedding on the weekends of the HEC quarter final, semi final and to cap it off, the final.

FFS! :evil:
Bigamist
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

Leinsterman wrote:I've just realised I have a stag, wedding and wedding on the weekends of the HEC quarter final, semi final and to cap it off, the final.

Surely its a hen party, wedding & wedding?
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

House bound. Just out of hospital, all drugged up with no sky sports. Please god please get me a stream for the game tonight!!
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

sarah_lennon wrote:

Bigamist

It's expensive enough having one of them, how the hell do you think I could afford three of them?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Leinsterman wrote:

It's expensive enough having one of them, how the hell do you think I could afford three of them?

It's traditional for polygs to draw the dole many times over. Benefit fraud was what they mostly have been prosecuted for in the US (particularly as the state of Utah has an almost Ireland in the 1950s approach to prosecuting child abuse). Only if they bring their inbred minors across state lines can the federal government get involved.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Benefit fraud, you say.

Hmmmmmmm

"Chop chop, dig dig"
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Leinsterman wrote:Benefit fraud, you say.

Hmmmmmmm

"Chop chop, dig dig"
Yeah but they (polygynists) generally have really unattractive "wives" - see Martin Cahill for example. They totally glamourised that aspect of his life in the films. I'm told the dole etc. are pretty good here but I don't know how much I'd have to be paid for that...
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

fourthirtythree wrote:see Martin Cahill for example. They totally glamourised that aspect of his life in the films.
That aspect?

I fking detest those films. Look at Martin Cahill! Isn't he gas crack! Hurray for the drug dealing thug and his nailing people to the floor antics! Boo to those spoilsport gardaí interfering with his ordinary decent criminal lifestyle.

Filmmakers, stop glamourising crime and criminal scumbags!
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Broken Wing wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:see Martin Cahill for example. They totally glamourised that aspect of his life in the films.
That aspect?

I fking detest those films. Look at Martin Cahill! Isn't he gas crack! Hurray for the drug dealing thug and his nailing people to the floor antics! Boo to those spoilsport gardaí interfering with his ordinary decent criminal lifestyle.

Filmmakers, stop glamourising crime and criminal scumbags!
I agree with you entirely, and in fact said almost the same thing at the wrap party for one of them. It was around then I realised that Dublin was awash in cocaine.

I was trying to make unkind comments about his wives though.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

So I presume you never watched the Sopranos? and you hate most of De Niro's films?

Or is it just Irish scumbags you hate?

People can make up their own minds. Loads of little old ladies love programmes about serial killers etc.

Also, it is in doubt whether Cahill ever sold drugs.

Not defending him in any way, or saying he was not a scumbag, just debating whether people are influenced to think gangsters are great by watching films about them.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

johng wrote:So I presume you never watched the Sopranos?
You know I love them. But you also know I don't think they are an attempt at narrating gangster culture in the first place.
johng wrote:and you hate most of De Niro's films?
Actually yeah. I really don't like de Niro and I think he is possibly the most over rated actor in the history of cinema.
johng wrote: Or is it just Irish scumbags you hate?
I'm fairly equal opportunities on that one
johng wrote: People can make up their own minds. Loads of little old ladies love programmes about serial killers etc.
Point. Point.
johng wrote:Also, it is in doubt whether Cahill ever sold drugs.
I genuinely don't care whether he did or not. He was a gangster anyway. People choose to buy cocaine themselves and while they may be influenced in their belief that it is cool by cinema they are individually responsible for their choices.
johng wrote: Not defending him in any way, or saying he was not a scumbag, just debating whether people are influenced to think gangsters are great by watching films about them.
I think think the two films about him do legitimise him as a heroic figure.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Did the Sopranos glamourise crime? Tony has no redeeming qualities (he's basically a self centred bully), he can't trust anyone, he's constantly looking over his shoulder, his marriage is a mess and his criminal empire is crumbling. His crew are hardly an ad for the criminal life either. Looking at the Sopranos who would anyone aspire to be?

In films where criminals are the main characters they are usually really clever, very cool, very efficient and have a heart of gold. In reality criminals are stupid (other than the white collar and political kind) thugs with cold black hearts and an aroma of rotten herring.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:
johng wrote:So I presume you never watched the Sopranos?
You know I love them. But you also know I don't think they are an attempt at narrating gangster culture in the first place.

That is the 2nd time you have said I should "know" something about you, am I supposed to be taking notes? :)
johng wrote:and you hate most of De Niro's films?
Actually yeah. I really don't like de Niro and I think he is possibly the most over rated actor in the history of cinema.

Watch Taxi Driver and then watch the King of Comedy. He does get typecast a lot, but they are 2 good ones to contrast (and that's from someone who rarely watches films)
johng wrote: Or is it just Irish scumbags you hate?
I'm fairly equal opportunities on that one
johng wrote: People can make up their own minds. Loads of little old ladies love programmes about serial killers etc.
Point. Point.
People watch things without thinking the people in them are "Great Crack"
johng wrote:Also, it is in doubt whether Cahill ever sold drugs.
I genuinely don't care whether he did or not. Perhaps best not to comment on it so
johng wrote: Not defending him in any way, or saying he was not a scumbag, just debating whether people are influenced to think gangsters are great by watching films about them.
I think think the two films about him do legitimise him as a heroic figure.
BTW I was replying to BW. Your post got in the middle :)
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Broken Wing wrote:Did the Sopranos glamourise crime? Tony has no redeeming qualities (he's basically a self centred bully), he can't trust anyone, he's constantly looking over his shoulder, his marriage is a mess and his criminal empire is crumbling. His crew are hardly an ad for the criminal life either. Looking at the Sopranos who would anyone aspire to be?

In films where criminals are the main characters they are usually really clever, very cool, very efficient and have a heart of gold. In reality criminals are stupid (other than the white collar and political kind) thugs with cold black hearts and an aroma of rotten herring.
I love Tony Soprano waaay more than I love Martin Cahill.

I would not mess with either.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

johng wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:Did the Sopranos glamourise crime? Tony has no redeeming qualities (he's basically a self centred bully), he can't trust anyone, he's constantly looking over his shoulder, his marriage is a mess and his criminal empire is crumbling. His crew are hardly an ad for the criminal life either. Looking at the Sopranos who would anyone aspire to be?

I love Tony Soprano waaay more than I love Martin Cahill.

I would not mess with either.
Who wouldn't want to own a strip club :wink:
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:Benefit fraud, you say.

Hmmmmmmm

"Chop chop, dig dig"
Yeah but they (polygynists) generally have really unattractive "wives" - see Martin Cahill for example. They totally glamourised that aspect of his life in the films. I'm told the dole etc. are pretty good here but I don't know how much I'd have to be paid for that...
Nothing a 9mm through the head couldn't sort out ....
T - 45
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

There's fcuk all on telly in a French hotel at 6.05 am in the morning.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Bot to be fair to be fair,they do let you bring a pizza t o you'd room at this hour.& a nice pizza it is to.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Thinking your flight is at 1600hrs when it actually was at 1020 this morning.

Bollix.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Slipper1 wrote:Thinking your flight is at 1600hrs when it actually was at 1020 this morning.

Bollix.
sh!t...and you are posting at 1055 implying you mised out altogether rather than had a movie like hair racing rush to the airport? :( Gutted for ya.
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk