The Economy (Super - Thread)

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: The Economy (Super - Thread)

Post by Leinsterman »

Dave Cahill wrote: The number of TDs is constitutionally mandated in 16.2.2, and would require a referendum to reduce it.

"The number of members shall from time to time be fixed by law, but the total number of members of Dáil Éireann shall not be fixed at less than one member for each thirty thousand of the population, or at more than one member for each twenty thousand of the population."

In any case, the number of them isn't the real problem, its what they do and why they do it that is the problem.

I'd tend to agree regarding the number. There's duplication of jobs.
We have TDs and councillors.
TDs seem to dabble in the local issues, something that the councillors should be doing. I think I've heard from two of the councillors about two or three times since the last local elections. They have their ugly mugs in the local papers often enough though.
We also have county managers employed by the lcal authorities.
Either reduce the TDs via a referendum or disband the local councils and hand over the powers to the county managers and their staff.
The councils are useless and are simply stepping stones for many of those mé féiners to becoming TDs.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

simplythebest wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:The problem is that the management we appoint, our government, is not interested in the correct provision of necessary services, its only interested in feathering its own nest and ensuring its own continuation.
Bang on there DC. I belive the reason our Politicains are "not interested in the correct provision of necessary services", is because there are too many of them. 166 TD's for a population of 4m = 1 TD per 24,000 people (the UK has 643 MPs for 60m people, i.e. 1 MP per 93,000 people). Hence our TD's know that come voting time, it is just the 24,000 people in their constituency that matter and so long as they have put in a ring road, fixed a pot hole, organised someones bus pass etc etc, then that's all they need to do to get elected. National issues? No votes in that Pal.
The answer is reduce the number of our TD's to 35 and introduce strong local Government, without cronyism. Is that an oxymoron though?
If you compare to the UK we look overrepresented. If you compare across the EU the situation is far less stark. The number is only a small part of the issue. Politicians behave that way because they're fighting for their survival, and they're doing what gets them votes. We are and have been a completely feckless electorate that have failed to hold them to account for anything, ever. Even back in 2007 there were warnings about inflationary budgets and huge spending increases just to win a small number of votes, but no one cared. Even now what we'll see at the next election is resounding success for independents and candidates focused on local issues. Independents sold out the economy on the principle that if you're going to waste money (and even if you don't really want to), do it in my constituency and I'll be happy whatever risks you take. Voters continue to vote for them, and will see nothing wrong with it. Independents will end up supporting whatever new government comes into effect (unless there really is a FG/Labour landslide) and continue to ignore national politics.

We're getting exactly the government we asked for.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
simplythebest wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:The problem is that the management we appoint, our government, is not interested in the correct provision of necessary services, its only interested in feathering its own nest and ensuring its own continuation.
Bang on there DC. I belive the reason our Politicains are "not interested in the correct provision of necessary services", is because there are too many of them. 166 TD's for a population of 4m = 1 TD per 24,000 people (the UK has 643 MPs for 60m people, i.e. 1 MP per 93,000 people). Hence our TD's know that come voting time, it is just the 24,000 people in their constituency that matter and so long as they have put in a ring road, fixed a pot hole, organised someones bus pass etc etc, then that's all they need to do to get elected. National issues? No votes in that Pal.
The answer is reduce the number of our TD's to 35 and introduce strong local Government, without cronyism. Is that an oxymoron though?
If you compare to the UK we look overrepresented. If you compare across the EU the situation is far less stark. The number is only a small part of the issue. Politicians behave that way because they're fighting for their survival, and they're doing what gets them votes. We are and have been a completely feckless electorate that have failed to hold them to account for anything, ever. Even back in 2007 there were warnings about inflationary budgets and huge spending increases just to win a small number of votes, but no one cared. Even now what we'll see at the next election is resounding success for independents and candidates focused on local issues. Independents sold out the economy on the principle that if you're going to waste money (and even if you don't really want to), do it in my constituency and I'll be happy whatever risks you take. Voters continue to vote for them, and will see nothing wrong with it. Independents will end up supporting whatever new government comes into effect (unless there really is a FG/Labour landslide) and continue to ignore national politics.

We're getting exactly the government we asked for.
I only partially agree with you here.
Yes we're getting the government we elected but.
But no we didn't get the electoral system we asked for.
You are right, a load of independents is anti democratic and will destablise a goverment.
National politicians should deal with national issues. Otherwise get rid of county councils.
To end my long winded point - We need an electoral system of the list type/first past the post mix.
In addition we need a constitution that prevents governments breaking a long run budget deficit average of 3% and a short run of 5%.
These are the kinds of issues that any new constitution needs to put manners on nutcases currently running this country.

In addition we need Brian Cowen to give a state of the nation address, explaining briefly why we are here and what needs to done to get us out of here.
We need leadership and hope and until the GE, he is the leader of this country and needs to stop sulking and feeling sorry for himself and to suck it in.
(Rome burning and fiddling are words taht currently described the leadership of this country)
Also he needs to listen. The people are telling him he's responsible, it doesn't matter a jot, whether he disagrees
The people, Brian, they think you got it wrong, deal with.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote: I only partially agree with you here.
You are right, a load of independents is anti democratic and will destablise a goverment.
National politicians should deal with national issues. Otherwise get rid of county councils.
To end my long winded point - We need an electoral system of the list type/first past the post mix.
In addition we need a constitution that prevents governments breaking a long run budget deficit average of 3% and a short run of 5%.
These are the kinds of issues that any new constitution needs to put manners on nutcases currently running this country.

In addition we need Brian Cowen to give a state of the nation address, explaining briefly why we are here and what needs to done to get us out of here.
We need leadership and hope and until the GE, he is the leader of this country and needs to stop sulking and feeling sorry for himself and to suck it in.
(Rome burning and fiddling are words taht currently described the leadership of this country)
Also he needs to listen. The people are telling him he's responsible, it doesn't matter a jot, whether he disagrees
I agree RE: reform of government (past the post is not the way either(I've no idea what is but the UK don't seem to happy with it and the grass always seems greener....)). But the last thing this country needs is Brian cowen giving a state of the nation address. The budget is next tuesday and it wont be going into the details of how we got here, just the net result. Cowen will stand by everything he did..... not unlike FG stating that when it left office there were x jobs been created per wk (that was the start of all this sh!t).
I like the American 2 house system but it seems to have become too elitist. But it is in-excusable to have 29 Co. Councils, a senate & and the dail. We are too small a country and are over represented. I would prefer to speak to coco's on local issues and TD's on national/international interest... I mean the fact that you can collar an MEP at mass on a sunday and threaten him with your voting preference over the state of the scouts hall is a disgrace.
Empowering coco's would be very beneficial to their areas- these guys no how to control a budget. My company does a lot of public work and there is no where else that requires such an exemplary level of quality at such an economical cost. But also I'm sure empowering coco's would mean the need for a elected mayoral system in each coco. The budgets would remain the same.
With coco's up and running their localities, the TD's are next on the block- to run the country we need the party system without the party whip! The parties would have to establish themselves behind an idea or statement of intent (which would mean FG & FF would have to fight over the same idea as they only differ on what has gone before). With that ideal established politicians row in behind the central idea but they may have different methods of achieving their ultimate goal (ie. no whip). and so much more...........

jesus there is so much to do before we can trust our own elected representatives. I hate these people (although i dont blame them entirely), I hate what they stand for. Maybe George Lee is the perfect example as to why ambition is not allowed in irish politics.

I've rambled a lot and don't know what I want to say other than to say I've lost faith in our elected representatives!!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:
Oldschool wrote: I only partially agree with you here.

I agree RE: reform of government (past the post is not the way either(I've no idea what is but the UK don't seem to happy with it and the grass always seems greener....)). But the last thing this country needs is Brian cowen giving a state of the nation address. The budget is next tuesday and it wont be going into the details of how we got here, just the net result. Cowen will stand by everything he did..... not unlike FG stating that when it left office there were x jobs been created per wk (that was the start of all this sh!t).
I like the American 2 house system but it seems to have become too elitist. But it is in-excusable to have 29 Co. Councils, a senate & and the dail. We are too small a country and are over represented. I would prefer to speak to coco's on local issues and TD's on national/international interest... I mean the fact that you can collar an MEP at mass on a sunday and threaten him with your voting preference over the state of the scouts hall is a disgrace.
Empowering coco's would be very beneficial to their areas- these guys no how to control a budget. My company does a lot of public work and there is no where else that requires such an exemplary level of quality at such an economical cost. But also I'm sure empowering coco's would mean the need for a elected mayoral system in each coco. The budgets would remain the same.
With coco's up and running their localities, the TD's are next on the block- to run the country we need the party system without the party whip! The parties would have to establish themselves behind an idea or statement of intent (which would mean FG & FF would have to fight over the same idea as they only differ on what has gone before). With that ideal established politicians row in behind the central idea but they may have different methods of achieving their ultimate goal (ie. no whip). and so much more...........

jesus there is so much to do before we can trust our own elected representatives. I hate these people (although i dont blame them entirely), I hate what they stand for. Maybe George Lee is the perfect example as to why ambition is not allowed in irish politics.

I've rambled a lot and don't know what I want to say other than to say I've lost faith in our elected representatives!!!
OK - I got it wrong about Cowen, but we need a leader who is prepared to crack the whip, take no sh!te and get the country moving.
To do this we need a state of the nation address at least every 3 or months, to tells how we're doing and build confidence. Call it a pep talk if you want.
As Ciaran fitzgerald might put it, Where's your F^cking pride"

Right now I feel, we're drifting, no direction coming from anyone and as BC is still "holding" the reins, I felt he had to at least maintain a mirage of authority.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote:[/img][/img]
OK - I got it wrong about Cowen, but we need a leader who is prepared to crack the whip, take no sh!te and get the country moving.
To do this we need a state of the nation address at least every 3 or months, to tells how we're doing and build confidence. Call it a pep talk if you want.
As Ciaran fitzgerald might put it, Where's your F^cking pride"

Right now I feel, we're drifting, no direction coming from anyone and as BC is still "holding" the reins, I felt he had to at least maintain a mirage of authority.

Sorry, we are drifting from the thread title, back to the topic:

We're fukd!
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Peg Leg wrote: I like the American 2 house system but it seems to have become too elitist. But it is in-excusable to have 29 Co. Councils, a senate & and the dail. We are too small a country and are over represented. I would prefer to speak to coco's on local issues and TD's on national/international interest... I mean the fact that you can collar an MEP at mass on a sunday and threaten him with your voting preference over the state of the scouts hall is a disgrace.
But that's what we elect MEPs for. There's no interest in what they're doing in Europe. You could work 18 hour days legislating in Europe and stand zero chance of re-election. People view it as a way to give a vote to some kooky candidate who they kinda like but wouldn't trust in the Dail where they might actually do something. That or something to keep a politician busy while they prepare for another crack at the Dail.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: I like the American 2 house system but it seems to have become too elitist. But it is in-excusable to have 29 Co. Councils, a senate & and the dail. We are too small a country and are over represented. I would prefer to speak to coco's on local issues and TD's on national/international interest... I mean the fact that you can collar an MEP at mass on a sunday and threaten him with your voting preference over the state of the scouts hall is a disgrace.
But that's what we elect MEPs for. There's no interest in what they're doing in Europe. You could work 18 hour days legislating in Europe and stand zero chance of re-election. People view it as a way to give a vote to some kooky candidate who they kinda like but wouldn't trust in the Dail where they might actually do something. That or something to keep a politician busy while they prepare for another crack at the Dail.
Maybe we shouldn't elect them so. as little faith as i have in the elected, I am close to equally sceptical about the electorate.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Wankin Bankers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koY6kXhQDQo
Amen, to that!
:clap: :clap:
Daniel Sullivan
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

A receiver has been appointed by AIB to Celtic Bookmakers, the independent bookmaking group led by former minister and Newstalk broadcaster, Ivan Yates, with 237 jobs at risk.

AIB has appointed Neil Hughes of Hughes Blake Accountants to act as receiver on its behalf.

Celtic said that it is intended that he will seek to sell as many of the shops as possible as a going concern.

Other shops will close in the coming days, but the receiver will be making every effort to assign those leases where possible, it said.

Celtic said that all bets will be honoured and paid to customers and that there is adequate working capital available for the period of the receivership to ensure this.

"While there will be inevitable significant job losses, we are endeavouring with the receiver, to try and retain as many of the 237 jobs as possible throughout the 47 betting shops in Ireland. In the case of redundancies, we have an undertaking from the receiver which ensures that affected staff members will get their full statutory entitlement."

Revenue at Celtic Bookmakers has fallen by an unsustainable 50pc since mid-2007, having previously achieved an annual income of E180 million and an operating profit of E4 million.

Since then, it has reduced its cost base from E17 million to less than E12 million, including the closure of twelve loss-making shops. "Trading conditions in 2010 continued to deteriorate and have prevented the company from securing a suitable merger, refinancing or restructuring despite many months of management effort in this regard." The general decline of disposable income and the surrender cost of leasehold interests meant that the company expected that it would not be able to meet payments as they fall due in the future. Given its significant bank debt (of about E6 million), together with rents owing to landlords for "top of the market" rents on shops throughout the country, the Directors have concluded that the company is insolvent as its liabilities exceed its assets. The Directors sought this receivership in advance of the situation deteriorating further, a statement said. Celtic Bookmakers' two betting shops in South Wales are not impacted by the receivership. However, these shops are now on the market. "Today is a profoundly sad day for our employees, for our families and for ourselves," said Ivan Yates. "I take this opportunity to express our deep appreciation to all of our wonderful staff, managers, great customers, landlords and suppliers for their support and loyalty over the past 23 years." "Like many, we did not anticipate the rapid decline in the economy, but I acknowledge that the accelerated growth of the business placed the company in a difficult position given the extent of the recession," he said. "The Directors have supported the company from their personal resources and have outstanding unpaid loans with the company. But due to personal guarantees with the banks, the Directors expect to face further significant financial challenges beyond the lifetime of the company. Throughout the lifetime of the business, the Directors have kept their salaries to an absolute minimum. They have not drawn any remuneration for the past three years. There have been no rash decisions, diversifications or investments that have contributed to the current difficulties. As Directors, they have always acted in full compliance with their fiduciary and legal responsibilities." "I intend to continue with my other non-bookmaking commitments as the affairs of Celtic Bookmakers are concluded. Over the next fortnight I will assist the receiver in his operations of the business and I will resume broadcasting on the Newstalk Breakfast Show on Monday, 17th January," said Ivan Yates.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Apparently they tried to get Ladbrokes to buy them a year or twoao but Ladbrokes turned down the offer.
I can see why. There are bookies everywhere and why would you bother buying a rival if you can just wait for them to fold ad you can then open a bookies on their patch.
Real cut-throat business.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RE: Celtic Boomakers,

Listened to I. Yates interview and although I do not like the guy- my heart went out to him. No creditors debt, no unpaid employees, a relative tax bill of €200,000 but the clincher is that when he attempted to close shops down over the years some of his landlords are expecting buy-outs (contractual). Stupid to ever sign up to but in his own words, he believed he had built up the family business to a point where it could not fail.
Daniel Sullivan
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Leinsterman wrote:Apparently they tried to get Ladbrokes to buy them a year or twoao but Ladbrokes turned down the offer.
I can see why. There are bookies everywhere and why would you bother buying a rival if you can just wait for them to fold ad you can then open a bookies on their patch.
The shop near the office is now a Paddy Power - so he obviously flicked some of them.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

HMV group to close 60 stores, unknown effect on Irish outlets

Music and books retailer HMV Group today revealed a raft of cost-cutting measures – including store closures and redundancies – as it battles with tumbling sales.

The group will close 60 stores over the next 12 months after it reported a 13.6% slump in HMV’s like-for-like sales in UK and Ireland in the five weeks to January 1 and revealed it was struggling to meet the terms of a bank loan.

A spokeman for HMV was not immediately available to say how many, if any, of the group's Irish stores would be affected.

Shares plummeted 24% after the company, which has some 600 HMV and Waterstone’s stores in the UK and Ireland, warned profits for the year to April would be near the bottom of the current range of market forecasts.

David Jeary, a retail analyst at the UK's Investec Securities, said the company failed to improve UK sales despite easier comparatives with a year ago.

He added: “While adverse weather undoubtedly was unhelpful to the business in the UK, the core HMV division remains under considerable stress as a format and this must raise questions over its long-term future.”

As well as the disruption caused by snow and ice before Christmas, HMV said its core entertainment markets remained weak and underlined the urgency with which it needed to carry out its turnaround strategy, which focuses on broadening the product mix.

Faced with competition from supermarkets in its core CD and DVD markets, the group has branched into new areas such as technology sales, recently including Apple’s iPad, as well as entertainment-related products. It has also pushed into fashion, mobile phones and Blu-ray discs, while its swoop for festivals and gig venue owner MAMA Group cemented its position in the fast-growing live market.

But it also pledged aggressive action on costs and said it would close 60 stores across its UK businesses over the next 12 months and seek a further £10m (€11.8m) a year of cost savings. Some closures will include lapsed leases and stores in locations where there is more than one outlet.

The group confirmed there would be redundancies, but the number of job losses had not been determined. A number of staff will be offered positions in other stores.

HMV admitted it is facing a battle to meet a test on its bank covenants in April, which is linked to its rental bill.

But a spokeswoman for the group said HMV was still confident over its long-term future and believed the cost-cutting measures would help it meet the bank covenant test.

She said the turnaround strategy was working, with strong sales in its live music division and in technology products, which were up 20% in the period.

Waterstone’s also showed improved sales, with a 0.4% drop on a like-for-like basis in the five weeks to January 1.

HMV had hoped that a line-up including Take That and Cheryl Cole albums, DVD releases such as 'Toy Story 3' and 'Shrek 4', and new games 'Call Of Duty: Black Ops' and 'FIFA 11' would boost trading over Christmas after a 16.1% drop in like-for-like sales in the six months to the end of October.

But chief executive Simon Fox said the anticipated improvement in sales failed to materialise due to the weather and challenging markets.

He added: “Whilst HMV has had a challenging year to date, it remains a profitable and cash-generative business and a powerful entertainment brand.

“The pace of change in the markets in which we operate underlines the urgency with which we must continue to transform this business.”

HMV said profits for the year to April were likely to be around the lower end of current market expectations of between £46m (€54m) and £60m (€70.7m).

Despite HMV reporting a weak entertainment market, a survey by the British Video Association (BVA), showed consumers spent £2.6bn (€3bn) last year on video entertainment – including DVD, Blu-ray and digital services. The BVA said 'Avatar' was the most popular title sold during the year, followed closely by 'Toy Story 3'.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hmv- ... z1AGBVVdX2
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Leinsterman wrote:Apparently they tried to get Ladbrokes to buy them a year or twoao but Ladbrokes turned down the offer.
Simple really.

Buy them to ensure that no one else does, change them to a butcher, baker, candlestick maker and ensure that all of their previous business crosses the street and collect the rent from the B.B.CM.

Cut throat, as with many other trades out there.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Yes but in the case of bookies, you'll find them all clustered together, e.g. you'll have a Ladbrokes across the road from a Paddy Power or a Celtic or a Boyle Sports.
Lucan is a great example - there are at least three bookies within 150m of each other.

Also, the likes of LAdbokes etc are having trouble maintaining profits at the moment. It's all about survival for many bookie outlets these days.
Even a small increase in betting tax will see many bookie close.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Mackman15 wrote:
Simple really.

Buy them to ensure that no one else does, change them to a butcher, baker, candlestick maker and ensure that all of their previous business crosses the street and collect the rent from the B.B.CM.

Cut throat, as with many other trades out there.
Their problem stemmed from rent agreements that they couldn't renegotiate. Another bookmaker buying them wouldn't have solved that problem. Once you go into administration, you can go back to the lease holder and say that you're negotiating for another bookie to take over the shop, are they willing to reduce their rate because the alternative is a vacant shop.
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Next Monday will be a dark day for many employees of struggling companies as bosses consider the first full week of the year as the best time to lay off staff, a new survey shows.

Research carried out by Peninsula Ireland found that 76pc of bosses who contacted the firm are likely to dismiss on Monday 10th January :shock: and 68pc cannot rule out more redundancies as 2011 progresses.

The firm has taken 3,296 calls to their advice line from clients with regards to dismissals between 1st December 2010 and Thursday 6th January 2011, with 76pc of this figure claiming they would be looking to begin dismissing on Monday 10th January, the start of the first full working week of 2011.

"The festive cheer has now come to an end and some employees will be bought back down to earth with a bump when they are told they're told their services are no longer required. Bosses don't want to be the scrooge before Christmas and whilst it seems that they are being sympathetic by holding off dismissals it seems that they are only delaying the inevitable," said Alan Price, managing director of Peninsula Ireland.

"With businesses still struggling financially it is more important than ever that bosses stop carrying passengers in order to improve cash flow. The festive break provides bosses with time in which to evaluate their businesses performance and more often than not they decide the best way in which to cut expenditure is to cut their payroll. We've received a record number of calls from Irish businesses since the beginning of December regarding dismissals and this is a sign of things to come for 2011. A new year can spell a new start for businesses, especially if things aren't going as well as expected. For a business to start a fresh in 2011 it is important for some restructuring to take place and unfortunately some employees will feel the brunt of these changes when they are shown the door."

"To avoid facing the chop employees need to make themselves an invaluable part of a business. Giving 110pc to the cause and showing a great willingness to succeed will help to show bosses that their business cannot function without these employees," he said.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

The Universal Social Charge, reduction in tax bands, increase in VHI, increase due in Mortgage and the above! Any one else have anymore good news this week :cry:
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Waterstone's to close 11 stores by end of the week

Eleven Waterstone's stores will close by the end of this week. The outlets are spread across the UK and are mostly in locations where more than one Waterstone's store currently exists.

Staff at the affected Waterstone's stores have now entered into a period of consultation, but may be redeployed to other locations. Current stock at all 11 outlets will be removed and "where possible" recycled.

The HMV Group, which owns both HMV and Waterstones, made the decision to shut stores after a tough trade performance over the Christmas period. The book retailer has earmarked 20 sites for closure. Today’s news follows the closure of nine HMV stores on Sunday.

A spokesperson said: “Further to Waterstone's recent announcement regarding a review of our store estate, we can now confirm that the following stores have been informed that they will cease trading on the 6th February 2011.

“As a result of these store closures, affected colleagues have now entered into a period of consultation and are at risk of redundancy. We hope to re-deploy many affected colleagues to stores as possible.” She refused to disclose how many staff would be affected.

Waterstones has previously announced its outlets in Slough, Maidenhead and Edinburgh East End were three of the twenty venues to wind down over the course of the year, leaving six store closures yet to be disclosed.

Store Closures:
Dublin, Dawson Street
Dublin, Jervis Street

Colchester, Culver Square
Worcester, High Street
Guildford, North Street
Stafford, Guildhall
Hemel Hempstead, Marlowes Centre
Coventry, Cathedral Lanes
Tiverton
Luton
Chelmsford, Meadows