Friday's rant

for general chat about stuff

Moderator: moderators

offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Re: Friday's rant

Post by offshorerules »

the spoofer wrote: January 24th, 2024, 2:17 pm Brid Smith running for Europe for PBP. On the one hand it would be great to be rid of her whining but have we not inflicted enough on the poor residents of Brussels?
It'd be great to be rid of her all the same and let's face it politics in Brussels is pretty dull so she might liven it up.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Those RTE top 10 earnings are crazy, as proved by demise of Tubridy.

Despite much hot air, there's very limited evidence of link between any one Presenter and Advertising revenue. RTE audiences are based around time of day and the daily new agenda. e.g. Paying Joe Duffy that sort of money is madness.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0129/1429143-rte-top-ten/

And as for George Lee...........what are they at in RTE Management?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The weather. Will it ever stop raining?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

offshorerules wrote: January 25th, 2024, 10:37 am
the spoofer wrote: January 24th, 2024, 2:17 pm Brid Smith running for Europe for PBP. On the one hand it would be great to be rid of her whining but have we not inflicted enough on the poor residents of Brussels?
It'd be great to be rid of her all the same and let's face it politics in Brussels is pretty dull so she might liven it up.
Good to see the 2 profit before people parties doing so well in the last 10 years with the housing crisis all the same.......
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Have we learned nothing from elevating Daly and Wallace from national embarrassments to international ones?
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

domhnallj wrote: February 14th, 2024, 10:29 am
Have we learned nothing from elevating Daly and Wallace from national embarrassments to international ones?
Probably not.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

domhnallj wrote: February 14th, 2024, 10:29 am
Protest votes do less damage in European elections.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

A day early ... but journalists giving out about the atmosphere in Lansdowne Road for a Sunday afternoon game against Italy.

I'm not sure what they expect: Anfield on a European night? It's a Sunday afternoon in February against a team we routinely demolish. There's no jeopardy involved whatsoever. We played a strong, competent game but we didn't blow the doors off. We've beaten Italy 29 of the last 30 times we've played them. The last loss was over a decade ago. Since that loss, we've won by an average of almost 31 points.

In this game, Italy failed to score a single point in this one and essentially failed to create a point-scoring chance. When Ireland played well, people got excited. When there was nothing to get excited about, nobody got excited.

I was at the game. There were very, very few Italians at the game, and the stadium was still essentially full. There was a nice mother behind us who was explaining to her daughter beside her [I dunno what age, 8-10] why penalties were being given. She knew what was going on, knew all the players names, they were obviously watching the game intently and they even carried all their empty chip boxes and water bottles out of their seats at the end to the bins [true sweeping the sheds moment]. But they weren't singing or shouting or making noise except when Ireland scored. They were there to watch the game. Are they bad fans?

I was also at some of World Cup games, and had the penance of sitting in front of a load of absolutely sh*t-faced non-charmers who were as obnoxious as f*ck to the Irish-American couple [in their 60s] sitting beside us who had come across from California to go to the Romania game ["you're not really Irish" etc.]. They had their faces painted and jerseys on and barely knew who we were playing against. Good fans?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Good ranting.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: February 15th, 2024, 8:02 am A day early ... but journalists giving out about the atmosphere in Lansdowne Road for a Sunday afternoon game against Italy.

I'm not sure what they expect: Anfield on a European night? It's a Sunday afternoon in February against a team we routinely demolish. There's no jeopardy involved whatsoever. We played a strong, competent game but we didn't blow the doors off. We've beaten Italy 29 of the last 30 times we've played them. The last loss was over a decade ago. Since that loss, we've won by an average of almost 31 points.

In this game, Italy failed to score a single point in this one and essentially failed to create a point-scoring chance. When Ireland played well, people got excited. When there was nothing to get excited about, nobody got excited.

I was at the game. There were very, very few Italians at the game, and the stadium was still essentially full. There was a nice mother behind us who was explaining to her daughter beside her [I dunno what age, 8-10] why penalties were being given. She knew what was going on, knew all the players names, they were obviously watching the game intently and they even carried all their empty chip boxes and water bottles out of their seats at the end to the bins [true sweeping the sheds moment]. But they weren't singing or shouting or making noise except when Ireland scored. They were there to watch the game. Are they bad fans?

I was also at some of World Cup games, and had the penance of sitting in front of a load of absolutely sh*t-faced non-charmers who were as obnoxious as f*ck to the Irish-American couple [in their 60s] sitting beside us who had come across from California to go to the Romania game ["you're not really Irish" etc.]. They had their faces painted and jerseys on and barely knew who we were playing against. Good fans?
I'm thinking of giving up going to the Irish games as I go to watch the games and support the team but don't really see my job as to add to the atmosphere. Lots of the whinging coming from lads from a soccer background where the need to chant shite is greater due to the lack of action on the pitch.

I do like the sketch going around where the lad is looking to become a rugby supporter and the fact that you can bring a pint to your seat is the one that seals the deal.