blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Friday's Rave

Post by blockhead »

An entire month of football is just around the corner. :D
Watch out for those Danes.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave in the leadup to every world cup since 78 -

As soon as the dates for the games are announced Dave books annual leave/plans holiday summer camps and activities so he can watch every match.

Dave in the leadup to this World Cup -

Not sure when the games are on or what times they are on.

I'll watch a fair bit of it, but it's the least connected I've ever felt to a tournament (and for a global corporate behemoth like the world cup that's saying something). I guess ambivalent and conflicted anticipation would be the feeling
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: November 17th, 2022, 8:56 am Dave in the leadup to every world cup since 78 -

As soon as the dates for the games are announced Dave books annual leave/plans holiday summer camps and activities so he can watch every match.

I'll watch a fair bit of it, but it's the least connected I've ever felt to a tournament (and for a global corporate behemoth like the world cup that's saying something). I guess ambivalent and conflicted anticipation would be the feeling
I remember my father buying a colour TV in 1982 for the world cup. That was a huge deal. I don't even know what channels it is on or who has qualified.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote: November 17th, 2022, 9:20 am
Dave Cahill wrote: November 17th, 2022, 8:56 am Dave in the leadup to every world cup since 78 -

I remember my father buying a colour TV in 1982 for the world cup. That was a huge deal. I don't even know what channels it is on or who has qualified.
In 1990 my grandmother was staying with us for the summer. She, a former C na mB member, was less than fond of soccer and was not happy that my Dad and I had charted out every game we were watching. So, to keep her quiet, my Dad bought a colour portable for the Kitchen where she could watch not soccer. It lasted well until the last round of games where Brazil were playing Scotland and Costa Rica were playing Sweden with Scots qualification on the line. We put one game on in the sitting room and one on in the Kitchen. She had mellowed at that stage though because of Ireland's exploits.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

78 was my first too
But Brazil in 82-the beautiful game indeed-couldn't process that they lost to Italy

All games are on RTE btw, and probably a lot of other channels too. There is no other football on the tele until Christmas. All those people who say that they're not gonna watch this time.....liars.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

blockhead wrote: November 17th, 2022, 10:34 am

78 was my first too
But Brazil in 82-the beautiful game indeed-couldn't process that they lost to Italy

All games are on RTE btw, and probably a lot of other channels too. There is no other football on the tele until Christmas. All those people who say that they're not gonna watch this time.....liars.
I watched the 78 WC final in a bar in Fuengirola with my Dad and brother. The Spanish bar men were more impressed by my fathers ability to drink litre glasses of beer than they were the football but the football was magical.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I was in Holland watching outdoors on a big screen in a yacht club. Great atmosphere. Within 5 minutes the air went out of the balloon and almost everyone had left.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The rest is history podcast has done a good series on the previous world cups and the history of Qatar. Only up to the 2nd history pod now but they make the point that the low point was the 82 WC in Argentina which was under a brutal military dictatorship at the time. When the RGs won the prisoners in the nearby torture centre could hear the cheers of the crowds in concert with their torturers(some of whom let them watch the game). It's fairly bleak but not new. Argentina wasn't the only dictatorship to host the WC but it was considered the closest in political terms to the German olympics in 38(?).

I get that it's not just the reputation laundering, but it's really not new. Like the Susie scandal has nothing on the rumoured scandals of the football WC.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Argentina in 78 is probably the lowest point in World Cup history alright - it'll be hard to go lower if only because Josef Mengele is rumoured to have attended a number of games.

That torture centre was the naval prision ESMA, of the 5000 people taken there only 150 survived
I have Bumbleflex
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Italy in 1934 was hardly a shining moment either.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In fairness, trying to find a country that wasn't under some kind of ultra nationalist (shall we say) government in the 30s would have been tricky!
I have Bumbleflex
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Argentina 78 was my first memory of a WC too, still remember the theme music, the exploits of Scotland and Mario Kempes! I was, of course, much too young to understand the political/human rights situation in Argentina.
The 86 WC is my high point of WC tournament memories.. I did love that Danish team
Dont Panic!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Ye lads are all old. My first world cup memory is 86.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Avenger wrote: November 18th, 2022, 2:16 pm Ye lads are all old. My first world cup memory is 86.
Was that Maradonna’s World Cup? Thats the first one I remember
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:20 pm
Avenger wrote: November 18th, 2022, 2:16 pm Ye lads are all old. My first world cup memory is 86.
twas
I have Bumbleflex
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

1970 is the first Soccer World Cup that I remember. I can still see Gordon Banks's wonder save in the match against Brazil. It was if he had wings to propel himself across the goal to stop what should have been a great score.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Dave Cahill wrote: November 18th, 2022, 9:30 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:20 pm
twas
'86 was the world Cup that Maradona won, but he also played in 1982.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

berliner wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: November 18th, 2022, 9:30 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 18th, 2022, 6:20 pm Was that Maradonna’s World Cup? Thats the first one I remember
twas
'86 was the world Cup that Maradona won, but he also played in 1982.
And in 1990 and 1994 (for part of it anyway)

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Fuppin awesome World Cup so far!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

The Dublin Canvas project in general. Great idea to brighten up the city.

But this one in particular stands out.

https://www.dublincanvas.com/dublin-can ... /david-lee
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!