Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: Friday's rant

Post by Xanthippe »

johng wrote: November 24th, 2021, 8:19 am
Oldschool wrote: November 12th, 2021, 9:40 am
Xanthippe wrote: November 11th, 2021, 5:07 pm

Disappointed in Mrs. School - the electronic handbrake in my VW is the best thing ever and I absolutely love it. Mind you, when I got my first VW with an electronic handbrake (2010 I think) it took a little while to actually trust the car!!!
TBF she's left handed which makes it a little more difficult for her.
Reminds me of a guy I know who buys a new beemer every 2 years. I asked him about some of the cool tech features and how he liked them.

Turned out he used practically none of them. Even focking cruise control :shock:

Jaysus I use that going to out for a pint of milk.

That lead to a conversation on why he bothered buying a new one every 2 years.

"Sure it costs next to nothing"

Let's just say his concept of next varies a little from mine.

By his metric I could live next to the president of the USA.
I can't believe that someone could have cruise control (or adaptive cruise control) and not use it. As you said - I use mine even if I'm just going to the shops - in fact I find it especially brilliant in low speed areas where its so easy to break speed limit without knowing. I know you're not supposed to use it like that but for the 30km and 50km areas its fantastic
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Eggs act lee
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

And he's probably sitting there going "I'm glad he's impressed by my car but why does he keep asking me about the focking buttons".
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

People taking ages at ATMs. :twisted:
I mean, wtf are ye doin? Put in your pin, then how much, then, no I dont want a reciept, then get yer card back, get yer money and get out of the fupping way.
Jeez!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote: November 26th, 2021, 3:43 pm People taking ages at ATMs. :twisted:
I mean, wtf are ye doin? Put in your pin, then how much, then, no I dont want a reciept, then get yer card back, get yer money and get out of the fupping way.
Jeez!
Cash is a pain in the hoop
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote: November 24th, 2021, 7:15 pm And he's probably sitting there going "I'm glad he's impressed by my car but why does he keep asking me about the focking buttons".
I wasn't even impressed by his car. Just asking questions to be polite. :lol:

Was fairly impressed by the money he was wasted on stuff he never used though. Don't get me started on folks who buy butt ugly industrial looking high sided vehicles with shite handling and 4 wheel drive that never get out of south Dublin or see a muddy field. :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Bet they go over loads of ramps though.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I didn't realise that you needed all those disadvantages just to go over a few ramps. :shock: :)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote: November 26th, 2021, 6:31 pm
ronk wrote: November 24th, 2021, 7:15 pm And he's probably sitting there going "I'm glad he's impressed by my car but why does he keep asking me about the focking buttons".
I wasn't even impressed by his car. Just asking questions to be polite. :lol:

Was fairly impressed by the money he was wasted on stuff he never used though. Don't get me started on folks who buy butt ugly industrial looking high sided vehicles with shite handling and 4 wheel drive that never get out of south Dublin or see a muddy field. :lol:
+1
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: November 26th, 2021, 4:24 pm
blockhead wrote: November 26th, 2021, 3:43 pm People taking ages at ATMs. :twisted:
Jeez!
Cash is a pain in the hoop
Cash is king.
It's the most powerful symbol of your freedom.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Bias is a noun or a verb. It is not an adjective. The adjective is biased.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

youngfella wakes puppy up at 6:30 am to play with it, gets bored at 6:45 and goes back to bed after bringing puppy up to mammy and daddy's room so we can take over.

if he ever has kids and I'm lucky enough to see them I'm going to wind them up terribly
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:04 am youngfella wakes puppy up at 6:30 am to play with it, gets bored at 6:45 and goes back to bed after bringing puppy up to mammy and daddy's room so we can take over.

if he ever has kids and I'm lucky enough to see them I'm going to wind them up terribly
Cherish the time you have with him now, he'll be grown up soon enough and then you'll think back to these times with him and you'll be glad of the memories.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 4:07 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:04 am youngfella wakes puppy up at 6:30 am to play with it, gets bored at 6:45 and goes back to bed after bringing puppy up to mammy and daddy's room so we can take over.

Cherish the time you have with him now, he'll be grown up soon enough and then you'll think back to these times with him and you'll be glad of the memories.
What was OSS like when he was a snotty nosed little pup Grandad OS?
Or have I answered my own question?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 4:22 pm

It's how I would have imagined him to be too. :wink:
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 4:22 pm

just got sick in my mouth a little bit there, thanks Blocky!!!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Dave Cahill wrote:Bias is a noun or a verb. It is not an adjective. The adjective is biased.
YES! THANK YOU!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Twist wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 12:27 am
Dave Cahill wrote:Bias is a noun or a verb. It is not an adjective. The adjective is biased.
YES! THANK YOU!
The one that really sets my blood boiling is the use of 'ask' as a noun instead of a verb in crappy corporate jargon speak. What is wrong with 'request'? I find 'to make an ask' especially insidious, given that it's a verb already and you can just say, 'to ask'.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

CiaranIrl wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:33 pm
YES! THANK YOU!
The one that really sets my blood boiling is the use of 'ask' as a noun instead of a verb in crappy corporate jargon speak. What is wrong with 'request'? I find 'to make an ask' especially insidious, given that it's a verb already and you can just say, 'to ask'.
... or the existing English word "request"

"Learnings" - there is already a word for this - "Lessons". Rugby is particularly bad for this one

"Reach out" for "contact"
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:33 pm
YES! THANK YOU!
Think, expecting that to change is too big an ask tbh.