Ex-Leinster players

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Ex-Leinster players

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Flash Gordon wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Fireworks wrote:Macken may or may not be the answer but there is a question over our centre cover in next seasons squad. There does appear to be some potential coming through but I would like to see an older more experienced head in there to help guide the ship.
Macken would be an upgrade on Daly for sure, Reid too IMO.

The academys record of developing centres, outside of Ringrose, is not great.
Very true. That's the result of having had 2 of the greatest Irish centers in history occupying the spot for a decade! Losing Isa's versatility is a huge issue.
bearing in mind that this is the opinion of an old loosehead prop imho the attributes required of a good centre are skills, strength and conditioning, and perhaps most importantly rugby intelligence

S&C - relatively straightforward - eat and lift what your S&C coach tells you too and run the number of laps/sprints etc., outlined in your program

Skills - again relatively straightforward, drills and drills and drills whether designed by your skills coach, yourself or a mixture of both

Rugby intelligence - this is the difficult piece of the puzzle. So, for example, I remember reading a piece by Drico where he mentioned that during drills Ringer could just see how an attack was working and where and when to defend, also remembering how Drico and D'arce worked in tandem they just seemed to know where and when to do what - is this just experience and hard work, or is it an intuitive understanding of how the game works and all of that good stuff?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: S&C - relatively straightforward - eat and lift what your S&C coach tells you too and run the number of laps/sprints etc., outlined in your program

Skills - again relatively straightforward, drills and drills and drills whether designed by your skills coach, yourself or a mixture of both

Rugby intelligence - this is the difficult piece of the puzzle. So, for example, I remember reading a piece by Drico where he mentioned that during drills Ringer could just see how an attack was working and where and when to defend, also remembering how Drico and D'arce worked in tandem they just seemed to know where and when to do what - is this just experience and hard work, or is it an intuitive understanding of how the game works and all of that good stuff?
S&C - think of as digital input and/or serial processing.
Skills - think of as digital input and/or serial processing.
Rugby Intelligence - think of it as analogue input and/or parallel processing resulting in high speed pattern recognition.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: S&C - relatively straightforward - eat and lift what your S&C coach tells you too and run the number of laps/sprints etc., outlined in your program

S&C - think of as digital input and/or serial processing.
Skills - think of as digital input and/or serial processing.
Rugby Intelligence - think of it as analogue input and/or parallel processing resulting in high speed pattern recognition.
nah...

I just have a feeling in my waters that when the boys leave school that superior S&C and skills may just be trumping Rugby intelligence and it turned out to be a happy coincidence that Garry Ringrose went to Blackrock where his rugby intelligence was superbly augmented by the S&C and skills he picked up while growing up in the rugby culture of Blackrock College.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Nathan White new forwards coach for Waikato
Nathan White to join WRU as forwards coach for Mitre 10 Cup

The Waikato Rugby Union has appointed Nathan White as the new forwards coach for the 2018 Mitre 10 Cup replacing Carl Hoeft.

White, 36, finished playing in New Zealand at the end of the 2011 season. He moved to Europe where he played a further 82 games for two clubs, Leinster (24) and Connacht (58), before retiring from playing at the end of the 2016 season and returning to New Zealand in 2017.

Nathan White said “It is great to be back with the province that started my career. I am privileged to now have the opportunity to pass on my experience, and knowledge that I have gathered over my playing career to the up and coming players for the province.”

Waikato CEO Blair Foote said “The Waikato Rugby Union is very pleased to announce that Nathan White will be joining the Waikato Mitre 10 Cup coaching staff. Nathan is a Waikato man; he grew up in the region, he is another former player that understands the pride and passion for playing in a red, yellow and black jersey.”

Nathan and new head coach Jono Gibbes know each other well, as both men are from Te Awamutu and played together in the same Waikato teams. Nathan has also played under Jono’s leadership at Leinster when he was the coach.”

Nathan White was Waikato cap number 1007 and played a total of 77 games for Waikato between 2002 and 2011, he also has 13 International caps for Ireland.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Mark Flanagan has re-signed for Bedford Blues. I can't believe he's 30!
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

sunshiner1 wrote:Mark Flanagan has re-signed for Bedford Blues. I can't believe he's 30!
He isn't? He'll be 29 this August
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Ah ok the article I read said he was 30. Still can't beleive he's that old though I would have said 26/27 if you asked me.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

sunshiner1 wrote:Ah ok the article I read said he was 30. Still can't beleive he's that old though I would have said 26/27 if you asked me.
Time flies when you are having fun...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Only just saw that Kane Douglas has gone to Bordeaux, good to see his homesickness has been cured.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Only just saw that Kane Douglas has gone to Bordeaux, good to see his homesickness has been cured.
Wonder if it'll kick in just before the RWC again.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Jordan Coghlan has been officially signed up by Tigers
Anyone But New Zealand
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Former Leinster u20 player Sean Coughlan has signed with MLRs new franchise rugby Atlanta.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Jack McGrath came off the bench to make his debut for Ulster this afternoon in their final pre season friendly v Glasgow
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Noel Reid's puts in a man of the match performance on his debut for the Tigers in the Prem
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

22pts for Cooney today agin the Kings.
7pts for Reid in the prem.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

blockhead wrote:22pts for Cooney today agin the Kings.
7pts for Reid in the prem.
It's the Premiership Cup as opposed to the league
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Yep. Prem started last night.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Noel Reid started at 10 for Leicester in their 24-16 defeat away to Worcester. Jordan Coghlan was on the bench.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Felix Jones on the coaching panel in a World Cup Final. :happy clapper:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Noel Reid started at 10 again for Leicester as they lost 10-24 to Saracens. Scored a penalty and conversion