Munster 2023/2024 - Return of the Jedi????

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Munster 2023/2024 - Return of the Jedi????

Post by munster#1 »

While it pains me to draw a close to Munster’s most successful season since 2011, I do so with great excitement about what is to come.

Munster progressed massively this season in terms of player development, skill sets and style of play.

Imo Munster still have a very shallow squad, and may struggle next season unless this issue is resolved.
This will hopefully be largely addressed internally, and given that Wig has said that they are done with signings for next season, this would appear to be the case.

What I want for next season is more of the same.
This season Munster rotated heavily in most positions, which is growing a certain bit of depth.
Looking at positions like 1,2,3,5,6,7,9,10 and 12 there was considerable rotation, but injuries, lack of depth and the need to win most games at the tail end of the season meant that Kleyn, Coombes, Frisch, Haley, Daly and Nash played most games.

Hopefully next season we get to see EdEd step up at TH lock a good bit more, and it is likely we will see RG play a bit there too.

At 8, my hope is that Gleeson sees some good minutes there, and while quinn is seen as a 7 for the U20s I would like to see him ran at 8 too.

The introduction of SOB and Nankivell will likely see Frisch’s minutes reduced.

15 is a position where we have options in Daly and Crowley, but both require positional changes, so I would hope that an alternative 15 is found. Campbell looks best placed, but for whatever reason, he doesn’t seem to be backed.

If Conway can make a strong return the wing depth will be strengthened. I’m also hearing that Zebo is making great strides in training, and looked in good shape yesterday.
Liam Coombes also looked like a real bolter prior to his injury, so imo even with the loss of Earls and Philips, Munster should be ok on the wings.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster 2023/2024 - Return of the Jedi????

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

The Phantom Menace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A proud Winsome Fluter
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Jesus, not much love for the great white hope that is Thomas Ahearn.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

the spoofer wrote: May 30th, 2023, 11:53 am Jesus, not much love for the great white hope that is Thomas Ahearn.
I wouldn’t say that at all, but with RG and Beirne we are fairly well stocked with international standard LH locks.

Ahern is coming back from an injury setback, and to me could be RG good, but he needs an injury free run.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A pair of close losses was disappointing (& how) but doesn't erase the memory of what had been been a thoroughly satisfying season. In the same way, a few close wins rightfully gives cause for celebration, but doesn't address that Munster did have issues with how they played for much of the season and limped into the playoffs.

If Munster don't build on this window fast they will sink back down quickly.

Munster have developed, but this was a season where they were carried by acquisitions: Frisch and Fekitoa in midfield, Beirne and Synman for the late run. They've also kicked the tighthead problem down the road for another year at least. They've already signed 2 centres.

Validating that Munster have changed really needs addressing those positions and getting someone under 30 into the Ireland starting XV, or even 23.

If Earls has confirmed his departure, then Munster still are relying on 6 players over 33 going into the season.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Mods please change the thread title.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

RoboProp wrote: May 30th, 2023, 1:31 pm Mods please change the thread title.
:D
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Munster 1983/2024 - Return of the Jedi????

Post by Oldschool »

Fixed
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster 1983/2024 - Return of the Jedi????

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote: May 30th, 2023, 2:08 pm
Fixed
:twisted:
:clap:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

This is obviously not a guarantee, but I would love to see Earls stay on for another season.

By all accounts he is a massively influential person around the training field, and with his experience he would have a lot to pass on to the next generation.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/united-r ... 65142.html
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

When Earlsy lifted the trophy with POM I thought immed that it meant he was retiring, similarly to how Leo did it with retiring Leinster players. But maybe not
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Interesting to hear that Ben O Connor has decided to go the rugby route after just winning the U20s All Ireland with Cork.

The lad is clearly a very talented hurler, with a very bright future ahead of him.

Hopefully that talent translates to the rugby field, and we see him picking up silverware with Munster in the near future.

I haven’t heard any official announcements on the remaining academy players but I’ve been told that Gleeson, another inter county hurler and Danny Sheehan will be added.

https://extra.ie/2023/06/04/sport/gaa/c ... reland-win
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

munster#1 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:17 pm This is obviously not a guarantee, but I would love to see Earls stay on for another season.

By all accounts he is a massively influential person around the training field, and with his experience he would have a lot to pass on to the next generation.

Earlsy has been one of my favourite players for Ireland over the years. Obviously I'd prefer it if Leinster had won the URC but the consolation is that he gets a medal.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote: June 7th, 2023, 5:58 pm
munster#1 wrote: May 30th, 2023, 9:17 pm This is obviously not a guarantee, but I would love to see Earls stay on for another season.

Earlsy has been one of my favourite players for Ireland over the years. Obviously I'd prefer it if Leinster had won the URC but the consolation is that he gets a medal.
Earls can't really get a central contract. Even that would be too far.

Munster's track record for paying players in his situation with their own money is far from promising. Sure they'd love it to happen and they'll make warm noises and they'll be thrilled if someone funds it or he'll take buttons. But they sign centres, not wingers.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

And fullbacks! Remember that promising young fullback they had called Daley? They signed three fullbacks ahead of him…
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Flash Gordon wrote: June 7th, 2023, 5:58 pm

Earls is my favourite Munster player over the last decade.
He is one of the most unassuming people I have ever had the privilege of meeting.

I really hope that he stays on for another year, and to be fair I really don’t think it would just be a nostalgia contract.
He has looked impressive any time he had taken to the field.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

fourthirtythree wrote: June 7th, 2023, 8:15 pm And fullbacks! Remember that promising young fullback they had called Daley? They signed three fullbacks ahead of him…
Who’s this Daley lad you speak of?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some interesting additions to the Munster academy.
Sheehan has not been given a spot yet, which to me is a bit odd.

The signing of Hadden is a great addition.
It would be interesting to hear the back story of this.

McCarty looks like a serious prospect.

Hicks at 18 is a young addition to the academy.
I know nothing about this lad, but I wonder if his position is being accelerated based on the lack of 10s at Munster at the moment.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/06/07/ ... r-2023-24/
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

munster#1 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 9:11 pm Some interesting additions to the Munster academy.
Sheehan has not been given a spot yet, which to me is a bit odd.

The signing of Hadden is a great addition.
It would be interesting to hear the back story of this.

McCarty looks like a serious prospect.

Hicks at 18 is a young addition to the academy.
I know nothing about this lad, but I wonder if his position is being accelerated based on the lack of 10s at Munster at the moment.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/06/07/ ... r-2023-24/
I find it odd that Munster give academy contracts straight out of school. Seems a much bigger risk to me rather than waiting a year to develop post schools level and accessing then.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

munster#1 wrote: June 7th, 2023, 8:42 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: June 7th, 2023, 8:15 pm And fullbacks! Remember that promising young fullback they had called Daley? They signed three fullbacks ahead of him…
Who’s this Daley lad you speak of?
I don’t know he was a promising player called into the Irish squad but then Munster had three fullbacks bought in from abroad so that stymied his career.