The I fought the Law and the thread one.

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

The I fought the Law and the thread one.

Post by ronk »

New law application guidelines to speed up the game.

https://www.world.rugby/news/778344/wor ... guidelines

Mostly around times for different ways for restarting the game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: The I fought the Law and the thread one.

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Henderson's body language with referee Murphy in the last quarter of Connacht v Ulster portrayed complete distain. Murphy for his part shouted "No hands" at almost every breakdown or tackle in the final quarter - no jackaling for this former scrum-half. Were those actions related?

Henderson was blessed not to have been yellow carded twice in the second-half. He kicked the ball away, well after the whistled sounded, when a penalty had been awarded to Connacht. The second occasion he slapped the ball out of Blade's hands, whilst on his feet in a ruck, about 15m from the Ulster line. Both of these offenses have been yellow carded by other, more eminent referees.

We didn't have the benefit of Murphy's ref mic throughout the game but it was clear he intended to bring a 'souped-up' version of winter rugby to the URC - without any communal line-out gatherings and with every effort to avoid reset scrums. Good sentiments and intentions, but only if other referees are going to do the same.

Murphy has improved as a referee, but that doesn't give him licence to re-write the laws. A 'jackle' turnover at a tackle is legitimate and it is completely legal for a No 8 to control the ball at his feet whilst his scrum moves forward. There is no stipulation it should be passed out within a specific time limit, just because the referee shouts "Use It". That ruling applies to breakdowns, rucks or mauls.

There's lots of changes possible under these new directives, but there's a huge difference between URC in Durban in December and URC in Connacht on the same date. Common sense should prevail, "Le pause boisson" is a nonsense in mid-winter France or Ireland.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The I fought the Law and the thread one.

Post by ronk »

I didn't get to watch that match. Coming off the recent defeats is sounds like internal trouble in Ulster more than an issue with the ref. They make obvious targets when there's frustration to go around.

Some of the new interpretations are sensible. Doing water breaks around trys makes for a natural break, fits with the way the game has been played and, at worst, gives more time for TV replays.