Rugby Pet-Hates

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Rugby Pet-Hates

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:25 pm I've never understood the idea that any sports person should have to rise above a d!%khead being a d!%khead. If they do then great, fair play to them. If they don't then I don't blame them one iota.
Everyone else has to. I've been called worse on and off the pitch.

Doesn't give me the right to beat someone up.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: September 27th, 2022, 4:06 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 3:25 pm I've never understood the idea that any sports person should have to rise above a d!%khead being a d!%khead. If they do then great, fair play to them. If they don't then I don't blame them one iota.

Did George do that? I don't remember him touching the doctor at all.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 4:20 pm

so the original point is that Jamie George is an annoying pr!*k and it's one of my pet hates.

on a follow up point, do you think that what Trevor Brennan as a professional power athlete did?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 27th, 2022, 4:31 pm

so the original point is that Jamie George is an annoying pr!*k and it's one of my pet hates.

on a follow up point, do you think that what Trevor Brennan as a professional power athlete did?
Your question isn't worded correctly but I assume you're asking me if I thought it was okay.

Firstly, there are obviously extremes to this. My point is that I think it's fine for players to react, but obviously those reactions can be over the top.

With that said, I thought the lifetime ban for Brennan was a joke and so was the reduction to five years. If I remember correctly it was always a bit ambiguous as to what had been said or done to provoke him but assuming that he was right to be pissed off then no I don't have a major issue with what he did. I can honestly say I've never abused any player at a match but if I did and got a smack in the mouth then I think I'd have deserved it tbh. I've done things as a player that resulted in getting punched or raked etc and had no problem with it, it was expected, and personally I don't see why fans or medics on the sideline should be free of consequences or that the onus should be solely on the players to take the moral high ground.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 4:52 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 27th, 2022, 4:31 pm

Your question isn't worded correctly but I assume you're asking me if I thought it was okay.

Firstly, there are obviously extremes to this. My point is that I think it's fine for players to react, but obviously those reactions can be over the top.

With that said, I thought the lifetime ban for Brennan was a joke and so was the reduction to five years. If I remember correctly it was always a bit ambiguous as to what had been said or done to provoke him but assuming that he was right to be pissed off then no I don't have a major issue with what he did. I can honestly say I've never abused any player at a match but if I did and got a smack in the mouth then I think I'd have deserved it tbh. I've done things as a player that resulted in getting punched or raked etc and had no problem with it, it was expected, and personally I don't see why fans or medics on the sideline should be free of consequences or that the onus should be solely on the players to take the moral high ground.
thanks for deciphering the question.

Trevor Brennan was a professional power athlete who also happen to hold a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, punching somebody in the gob for any provocation is absolutely not OK and never was nor will be.

you getting punched in the mouth on the pitch by a player at about the same level as you is a very different thing, and raking is part of the past but has as much place in the game as kicking someone in the head or gouging.

Players not hitting fans is not taking the "moral high ground", it's the absolute minimum expected behaviour
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My point is that actions have consequences. EDIT: Just to add to my point a bit here. What I was also getting at was that you're aware of the environment you're in. With rugby you know that brawls, stamps etc are a possibility so shouldn't be surprised that you're on the receiving end if you insert yourself into a situation there. Different story if you do the same thing in an office, but obviously that doesn't really happen because for some reason people can appreciate that they shouldn't abuse colleagues but think it's okay to do it to athletes.

Why exactly should a player be expected to take the moral high ground and not react? Again, let's not kid ourselves that jumping into the crowd and punching someone in the mouth is the standard reaction I'm talking about here. But why shouldn't George get pissed off with the Doctor? Why shouldn't a player push someone or tell them to f%~k off if they get abused?

Ever been pushed or abused on a night out? Ever seen it happen to friends? Did you react? I know I have, and I've seen it in some shape or form nearly every single time I've had a night out in town. I don't understand why rugby players should be held to a higher standard, within reason obviously.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 5:25 pm My point is that actions have consequences. EDIT: Just to add to my point a bit here. What I was also getting at was that you're aware of the environment you're in. With rugby you know that brawls, stamps etc are a possibility so shouldn't be surprised that you're on the receiving end if you insert yourself into a situation there. Different story if you do the same thing in an office, but obviously that doesn't really happen because for some reason people can appreciate that they shouldn't abuse colleagues but think it's okay to do it to athletes.

Why exactly should a player be expected to take the moral high ground and not react? Again, let's not kid ourselves that jumping into the crowd and punching someone in the mouth is the standard reaction I'm talking about here. But why shouldn't George get pissed off with the Doctor? Why shouldn't a player push someone or tell them to f%~k off if they get abused?

Ever been pushed or abused on a night out? Ever seen it happen to friends? Did you react? I know I have, and I've seen it in some shape or form nearly every single time I've had a night out in town. I don't understand why rugby players should be held to a higher standard, within reason obviously.
It’s very simple, if you’re pushed on a night out you realise you’re an adult and if there’s some div trying to start a row you let them off.

My dislike for George is not for having verbals with a Munster doc, it’s because he behaves like a total nobber on the pitch.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That’s a Disneyesque version of reality tbh.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 6:43 pm That’s a Disneyesque version of reality tbh.
Bollix, I have a brown belt in kenpo and a blue belt in BJJ, and I’ve been in proper fights. There’s nothing easier than walking away from a fight.

If you feel the need to fight somebody who’s pushes you I’d suggest you stop going out.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 27th, 2022, 7:54 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 6:43 pm That’s a Disneyesque version of reality tbh.
Bollix, I have a brown belt in kenpo and a blue belt in BJJ, and I’ve been in proper fights. There’s nothing easier than walking away from a fight.

If you feel the need to fight somebody who’s pushes you I’d suggest you stop going out.
That’s a mad comment, I haven’t mentioned fighting anyone.

Again you’re assuming that a reaction has to mean some kind of extreme violence. One example I’m thinking of is when a guy was being overly aggressive/pushy with a female friend of mine and I ended up pushing him away. So don’t paint me as some kind of maniac FFS :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He was physically restrained by other players who took exception with that sort of behaviour and defended the Dr.

George had the option of making a complaint through the disciplinary process, which he did in the end. So there were consequences for the Dr.

George kicked a water bottle to start the whole thing. He was trying to cause trouble and when he found some he escalated hugely. Because he was a thug looking for an excuse to be a thug. That sort of stupid thuggish behaviour persists because of a cohort of fans who actually like seeing thuggery.

Rugby will be a better game to watch when we see less cr@p rugby and good angry face.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: September 27th, 2022, 11:07 pm

He was physically restrained by other players who took exception with that sort of behaviour and defended the Dr.

George had the option of making a complaint through the disciplinary process, which he did in the end. So there were consequences for the Dr.

George kicked a water bottle to start the whole thing. He was trying to cause trouble and when he found some he escalated hugely. Because he was a thug looking for an excuse to be a thug. That sort of stupid thuggish behaviour persists because of a cohort of fans who actually like seeing thuggery.

Rugby will be a better game to watch when we see less cr@p rugby and good angry face.
No it was started by the doctor calling him a “fat pr!*k”. He was physically restrained? So what? That doesn’t mean he was going to attack the doc if he wasn’t. Hardly George’s fault that he was called a fat pr!*k and a brawl ensued, unless he’s responsible for everyone else’s actions?

How is he a thug exactly? I haven’t looked too extensively but haven’t been able to find any mention of George ever copping a ban or getting a red card. The one mention I can find in regard to a citing is when he says he forgives Dylan Hartley for head butting him. If I have missed any thuggery then I can’t have missed much of it but please link me to it. He really seems like one of rugby’s good guys, I find this a really strange take.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 27th, 2022, 11:23 pm

No it was started by the doctor calling him a “fat pr!*k”. He was physically restrained? So what? That doesn’t mean he was going to attack the doc if he wasn’t. Hardly George’s fault that he was called a fat pr!*k and a brawl ensued, unless he’s responsible for everyone else’s actions?

How is he a thug exactly? I haven’t looked too extensively but haven’t been able to find any mention of George ever copping a ban or getting a red card. The one mention I can find in regard to a citing is when he says he forgives Dylan Hartley for head butting him. If I have missed any thuggery then I can’t have missed much of it but please link me to it. He really seems like one of rugby’s good guys, I find this a really strange take.
Yeah, I don't think Jamie George is a thug at all. Any interview I have read with him he seems like a nice guy, and the Irish players who have toured with him speak highly of him. He's a good player as well.

I understand why the whooping and the hollering from the England pack during internationals winds people up, because I don't like to see it myself. When it happens once or twice in a game you get that it could be spontaneous and forgivable, but because it happens all the time its clearly pre-planned and it just seems pretty oafish. It doesn't wind me up that much as a fan because I have come to expect it, but would I prefer not to see it in the game? I would.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yeah, that's how I remember it. Munster had Saracens by the short and curlys and then the good Doctor intervened, the sarries lads woke up, munster missed an easy pen and then conceded 2 quick tries.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: September 28th, 2022, 8:43 am

Yeah, that's how I remember it. Munster had Saracens by the short and curlys and then the good Doctor intervened, the sarries lads woke up, munster missed an easy pen and then conceded 2 quick tries.
In retrospect, the Munster quack cost his own team, who were in the ascendency at that point, the match, by not just keeping his big mouth shut.

On that point, I hate to see soccer sideline shenanigans increasingly creep into rugby with the likes of Hugo Mola, RO'G, Eddie Jones and Rassie Erasmus doing their best Alex Ferguson, Pepe Guardiola - take your pick - imitations, i.e. losing the head, barking at the ref, their own players, rowing with the linesmen, getting into argy-bargies after the final whistle with the opposition coach etc. etc. etc. I know the TV directors see it differently, but that is not my idea of entertainment. Head coaches and their immediate assistants should all be restricted to observing the match from the stands, IMO.
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

Rugby fans complaining about pundits/commentators.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Rugby fans complaining about rugby fans.
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

People
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Dave Cahill wrote:People