URC 22/23

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: URC 21/22

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: September 7th, 2022, 7:54 am While it is correct and perfectly legitimate to criticise and condemn the abysmal human rights situation in the member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, we shouldn't forget, that it was the government of Nobel peace prize winner Barack Obama, which greenlighted the Saudi and Emirati invasion/naval blockade of Yemen in 2015 and that without British and American weapons, military advice and assistance - jet refueling, satellite reconnaissance, SAS commando raids etc - the Saudis and Emiratis would not have been able to create there, what UNICEF has described as the worst humanitarian disaster in the world with tens of thousands of dead and millions of people starving. In this context it would be remiss of me not to mention those ex-RUC Special Branch members, who since 2011 played a prominent role in suppressing the Shiite majority in Bahrain at the behest of the Sunni ruling clique; no doubt they were able to apply the methods they learnt in our very own "Troubles" to good use.
Whataboutery.

This is a deal that is morally wrong for my sport and my team, what themmuns did is irrelevant.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

riocard911 wrote: September 7th, 2022, 7:54 am While it is correct and perfectly legitimate to criticise and condemn the abysmal human rights situation in the member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, we shouldn't forget, that it was the government of Nobel peace prize winner Barack Obama, which greenlighted the Saudi and Emirati invasion/naval blockade of Yemen in 2015 and that without British and American weapons, military advice and assistance - jet refueling, satellite reconnaissance, SAS commando raids etc - the Saudis and Emiratis would not have been able to create there, what UNICEF has described as the worst humanitarian disaster in the world with tens of thousands of dead and millions of people starving. In this context it would be remiss of me not to mention those ex-RUC Special Branch members, who since 2011 played a prominent role in suppressing the Shiite majority in Bahrain at the behest of the Sunni ruling clique; no doubt they were able to apply the methods they learnt in our very own "Troubles" to good use.
So like just pretend that the Houthi rebellion isn't being funded by Iran? Also yeah nah, believe UNICEF about as much as I beleive Amnesty on Ukraine.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Yeah but good news everyone, they'll serve beer at the football world cup, that makes everything ok right?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62794507
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2022, 10:13 am
Whataboutery.

This is a deal that is morally wrong for my sport and my team, what themmuns did is irrelevant.
I think the charge of "whataboutery" is somewhat unfair, as I wasn't in any way attempting to minimize the critisms of Qatar and the URC's deal with their airline or to deflect from them. In fact, earlier on this thread, I was the one posted a link to a Guardian article about the horrific loss of life among exploited foreign labourers, primarily from the Indian Subcontinent, involved in building the soccer world cup stadia in Qatar. It was only after Saudi Arabia had indirectly been brought up in the discussion, that I thought to make the observation, that it doesn't exactly behove us, as citizens of a Western industrialised nation, to be criticising the human rights abuses being carried out in and by the member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, while simultaneously ignoring the involvement of our own governments and citizens in said abuses. I'm in full agreement, that the deal is "morally wrong" for our sport and our team.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Fair enough Riocard, withdrawn happily!
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 7th, 2022, 2:18 pm Fair enough Riocard, withdrawn happily!
Maith fear, Dave. Respect!!! :D
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: URC 22/23

Post by Twist »

I'm surprised Israel Folau's name hasn't come up in this discussion. How can the game shun him but do a deal with the Qataris?
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:39 am
RavenhillRaider wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:21 am
Not that banking or drink were any better.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
In fairness, bad and all as Rockshore is, Diageo didn't execute 81 people in a day!
Their ads are more objectionable than the death penalty
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Might be the wrong thread but has anyone received their season ticket yet?
Paid for mine in April, heard nothing since.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Barry wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:09 pm Might be the wrong thread but has anyone received their season ticket yet?

There's no physical season ticket anymore. You just download the matchday tickets from your Leinster season ticket account on to your phone.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Twist wrote: September 12th, 2022, 1:33 pm I'm surprised Israel Folau's name hasn't come up in this discussion. How can the game shun him but do a deal with the Qataris?
Exactly. We don't live in a perfect world but this deal is odd even in an imperfect world. As Dave said, Qatar stands for everything that rugby in general and Leinster particular stand against.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

cormac wrote:
Barry wrote: September 12th, 2022, 2:09 pm Might be the wrong thread but has anyone received their season ticket yet?

There's no physical season ticket anymore. You just download the matchday tickets from your Leinster season ticket account on to your phone.
Thanks, thought we might have gone back to physical tickets post Covid

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Barry wrote: September 12th, 2022, 3:21 pm
cormac wrote:

Thanks, thought we might have gone back to physical tickets post Covid

Checked yesterday, the tickets for the 1st 3 games are up on the app
Dont Panic!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

RTE Sport on the news this evening:
They announce that the Emerging Ireland tour squad has been selected.. and we talk to one of the selections who gives his views on Munsters chances in the URC, where they start their campaign on Saturday playing in Ulster...

Can they not even get the fixtures right?
Dont Panic!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Cardiff lead 23-0 in Durban at HT
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

And now they’re in for a bonus point try. Cardiff pack absolutely schooling the Sharks.

Cardiff lead 35-0 after an hour.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Quite some encounter with Frank Murphy making himself as popular in Durban as he is in the RDS
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sharks 0-35 Cardiff :shock: :?
WTF?
Mad Ted!
Probably the best result down there to date by anybody.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

blockhead wrote: November 27th, 2022, 9:13 pm Sharks 0-35 Cardiff :shock: :?
WTF?
Mad Ted!
Probably the best result down there to date by anybody.
That is a wild result. The Sharks looked like a really good team against us up here. Cardiff have been useful this season, but I wouldn't expect us to go down to Durban and win 35-0!

The SA teams have switched off a few times though, especially in the wet. The Bulls were tragic down in Thomond Park recently, for example. After that match, I couldn't understand how we had lost to those guys – at home, in a knock-out match – four months earlier.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The SA sides think they can and sometimes get away with sleepwalking through games.

The change in the Bulls last season from a team that lost in the first game to the one that travelled on a short turnaround and smashed us in the URC semi was remarkable. Everyone is up and down to some extent, they do it a lot and are a little out of phase while they adapt to NH rugby.