URC 22/23

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

URC 22/23

Post by blockhead »

From URC

Over 34 million fans tuned into the inaugural United Rugby Championship season as the league set a number of major broadcast records in its first campaign.
With records set for the season-long audience, Play-Off viewers and the URC Grand Final itself, it is clear that the new 16-team league has caught the imagination of rugby fans across the northern and southern hemispheres.

Despite reducing the regular season to 18 rounds, the strong viewership numbers produced across the UK, Ireland and South Africa prove that less is more. In a further boost, Italy reported their largest audiences ever while international rights coverage and the launch of the URC.tv streaming service bolstered the global total.

In its first season, the United Rugby Championship was supported by Free-to-Air (FTA) broadcasters in the UK, Ireland and Italy – BBC Wales, BBC Northern Ireland, Mediaset, RTÉ, S4C and TG4 and by leading Pay TV companies SuperSport (South Africa) and Premier Sports (UK and Ireland).

This mix of broadcast platforms allowed fans to enjoy rising standards of production while the crossover and collaboration across different territories gave the league a truly global feel.

Martin Anayi, United Rugby Championship, CEO said: “We are blown away by the broadcast audiences in the first season of the United Rugby Championship. It is a tremendous credit to the standard of rugby displayed by our teams and players and the superb work done by our broadcasters to showcase that talent.
“The URC offers a diversity in playing styles and cultures across two hemispheres that is unique in club rugby and we can see that fans in the north and south have been attracted to that. With a mix of Free to Air and Pay TV coverage allied to our increased presence in South Africa and record figures in Italy we have found a very effective formula to grow interest in our league and the sport of rugby union.”

The numbers behind the headlines are truly stellar and set a high benchmark for the URC, its teams, players, broadcasters and partners to aim for ahead of the new 2022/23 season.
THE NUMBERS BEHIND THE RECORD-BREAKING AUDIENCES
Regular Season

Thanks to the consolidated reports from Nielsen Sports, one of the world’s leading agencies in broadcast reporting, the United Rugby Championship can confirm that the audience for the entire 2021/22 season reached a high mark of 34.6million across 7,000-plus hours of coverage.

That figure of 34.6m was an increase of 169% compared to the 2020/21 PRO14 and Rainbow Cup campaigns combined.

The cumulative average audience per game during the season was 230k which represented a 109% increase on 20/21.
A cumulative audience of almost 3 million people tuned into Round 3 with the figure of 2,892,000 setting a new record for the highest audience for a single round in the league’s history.
In total, four rounds eclipsed an audience of 2 million, seven rounds drew more than 1.5 million and 6 of the remaining 7 rounds all attracted a minimum viewership of 1 million.
The average audience per round in the regular season was 1.7 million.
The cumulative audience from Italy was 1.6 million.

URC Grand Final and Play-Offs

The first-ever United Rugby Championship Grand Final took place in Cape Town, South Africa between the DHL Stormers and Vodacom Bulls and set a new TV milestone for the league.

A total of 1.25 million watched the DHL Stormers win their first URC title and set a new record for the league decider. Although the Grand Final was an all-South African affair 41% of the audience came from outside of the territory with RTÉ’s live coverage in the Republic of Ireland accounting for 15%.

This trend of interest was a hallmark of the entire URC Play-Offs which also set a record for viewership with 3.8 million across seven games. The largest viewership for the Play-Offs came in the DHL Stormers v Ulster Final Four game where the audience hit 754k while the other Semi-Final encounter between Leinster and the Vodacom Bulls drew 472k.

Including the URC Grand Final, the average audience per game in the Play-Offs was 537k

Top 10 most watched regular season games in 2021/22

In the Top 10 most watched games of the regular season, Munster featured five times, the Cell C Sharks were involved in three with Ospreys, Ulster and the DHL Stormers appeared twice.

The most watched game in the regular season was Ospreys’ Round 3 game with Cell C Sharks which was viewed by a combined audience of 581k on BBC Wales, SuperSport and Premier Sports.

R3 Ospreys v Cell C Sharks 580,026
R3 Cardiff v Vodacom Bulls 560,886
R2 Munster v DHL Stormers 538,909
R6 Cell C Sharks v Scarlets 531,421
R10 Munster v Ulster 523,707
R4 Munster v Connacht 521,110
R1 Munster v Cell C Sharks 484,267
R5 Ospreys v Munster 480,652
R4 Ulster v Emirates Lions 468,993
R4 Dragons v DHL Stormers 445,471

Most Watched Clubs
Helped by their appearance in the URC Grand Final, the DHL Stormers were the most viewed team in the league with their total audience coming in at over 7.2million. The URC champions are followed by the Vodacom Bulls, Munster, Cell C Sharks and Leinster for audiences across the entire season.

The DHL Stormers and Munster were the most watched teams in South Africa and Ireland, respectively with Ospreys leading the interest in Wales, Benetton were No 1 in Italy and Edinburgh topped the pile in Scotland.

Derby matches which are at the heart of the tribal rivalries in the URC also performed well with only one South African fixture breaking the dominance of the all-Irish clashes.

Top 5 Derby Audiences
The most watched derby games of the season all took place in Ireland, with Munster’s R10 clash with Ulster drawing in 523k in a game that was also No 5 in the list of Top 10 most watched in the regular season. Munster also feature in four of the Top 5 derby audiences.

R16 Ulster v Munster 428,709
R15 Munster v Leinster 402,534
R6 Leinster v Ulster 401,603

Top 5 Games from South Africa

R6 Cell C Sharks v Scarlets 531,421
R17 DHL Stormers v Leinster 417,323
R7 Emirates Lions v Munster 394,416
R16 Cell C Sharks v Leinster 361,290
R17 Vodacom Bulls v Glasgow Warriors 323,386

Top 5 Games from Ireland
R2 Munster v DHL Stormers 538,909
R1 Munster v Cell C Sharks 484,267
R4 Ulster v Emirates Lions 468,993

Top 5 Games from Italy
R11 Zebre v Munster 439,701
R1 Zebre v Emirates Lions 295,647
R1 Benetton v DHL Stormers 213,754
R10 Benetton v Cell C Sharks 202,283
R4 Benetton v Ospreys 196,817

Top 5 Games from Scotland
R3 Edinburgh v DHL Stormers 382,185
R3 Glasgow Warriors v Emirates Lions 363,674
R4 Edinburgh v Vodacom Bulls 260,448
R5 Glasgow Warriors v Leinster 224,494
R2 Glasgow Warriors v Cell C Sharks 209,027

Top 5 Games from Wales
R3 Ospreys v Cell C Sharks 580,026
R3 Cardiff v Vodacom Bulls 560,886
R5 Ospreys v Munster 480,652
R4 Dragons v DHL Stormers 445,471
R3 Scarlets v Munster 330,313
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Re: URC 21/22

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Some major sponsorship announcements this week:

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/news ... le-sponsor

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/news ... r-sa-rugby

Not too happy with the 2nd one, seem like more sportwashing.

What do others think of it?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BOD is GOD!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Seems?
I have Bumbleflex
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Yep, damn fat fingers.
BOD is GOD!
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

RavenhillRaider wrote: September 5th, 2022, 11:01 am Some major sponsorship announcements this week:

Is it now the BKTURC Championship? (is that pronounced the same way a Chicken Squawks??)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RavenhillRaider wrote: September 5th, 2022, 2:49 pm Yep, damn fat fingers.
Sorry, wasn't questioning your spelling - was going for a Hamlet reference!
Seems madam? Nay, it is; I know not "seems."
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

brotheroffrank wrote: September 5th, 2022, 4:16 pm
RavenhillRaider wrote: September 5th, 2022, 11:01 am Some major sponsorship announcements this week:

Is it now the BKTURC Championship? (is that pronounced the same way a Chicken Squawks??)
Took me season to stop calling it the RUC. Now I'll have to remind meself that its BKT and not BTK.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Dave Cahill wrote:
RavenhillRaider wrote: September 5th, 2022, 2:49 pm Yep, damn fat fingers.
Sorry, wasn't questioning your spelling - was going for a Hamlet reference!
Seems madam? Nay, it is; I know not "seems."
Ah Sorry, a bit slow on the uptake.

But yep its ridiculous how many pies they have their fingers in now.

URC just after the money with these sponsors, no link to the sport what so ever.

Not that banking or drink were any better.

BOD is GOD!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RavenhillRaider wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:21 am

In fairness, bad and all as Rockshore is, Diageo didn't execute 81 people in a day!
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 6th, 2022, 10:39 am

In fairness, bad and all as Rockshore is, Diageo didn't execute 81 people in a day!
Pardon my ignorance. The reference is to - what? The striking South African miners, who got shot up by the cops a few years ago? If so, what's the URC connection?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

From 2021:

Revealed: 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since World Cup awarded

Guardian analysis indicates shocking figure over the past decade likely to be an underestimate

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... d-cup-2022
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 12:59 pm

Pardon my ignorance. The reference is to - what? The striking South African miners, who got shot up by the cops a few years ago? If so, what's the URC connection?
I think Dave is mixing up his States in the Arabian Peninsula
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 6th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Perhaps he is, but it's not exactly like there's a paragon of a state with a good human rights track in that area, just varying degrees of awful to pure evil.
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Gotcha. The reference was to Saudi Arabia; so when he wrote "execute", that's actually what he meant!!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

riocard911 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Gotcha. The reference was to Saudi Arabia; so when he wrote "execute", that's actually what he meant!!
Nope - Dave didn’t mix up his states:
Amnesty International wrote:
Saudi Arabia: Mass execution of 81 men shows urgent need to abolish the death penalty

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/ ... h-penalty/
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Xanthippe wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:01 pm
riocard911 wrote: September 6th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Nope - Dave didn’t mix up his states:
Amnesty International wrote:
Saudi Arabia: Mass execution of 81 men shows urgent need to abolish the death penalty

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/ ... h-penalty/
I could be way off Xan, but i think DC was referencing this particular Saudi atrocity while talking about Qatar?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I presumed the 'they' who have their fingers in pies refered to sportswashing gulf states in general - UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia

Qatar isn't big into executions, not with the eyes of the world on it, it prefers to work de facto slaves to death
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm I presumed the 'they' who have their fingers in pies refered to sportswashing gulf states in general - UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia

Qatar isn't big into executions, not with the eyes of the world on it, it prefers to work de facto slaves to death
I stand corrected, you can see the room for error there though, I presume
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

While it is correct and perfectly legitimate to criticise and condemn the abysmal human rights situation in the member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, we shouldn't forget, that it was the government of Nobel peace prize winner Barack Obama, which greenlighted the Saudi and Emirati invasion/naval blockade of Yemen in 2015 and that without British and American weapons, military advice and assistance - jet refueling, satellite reconnaissance, SAS commando raids etc - the Saudis and Emiratis would not have been able to create there, what UNICEF has described as the worst humanitarian disaster in the world with tens of thousands of dead and millions of people starving. In this context it would be remiss of me not to mention those ex-RUC Special Branch members, who since 2011 played a prominent role in suppressing the Shiite majority in Bahrain at the behest of the Sunni ruling clique; no doubt they were able to apply the methods they learnt in our very own "Troubles" to good use.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 7th, 2022, 6:11 am
Dave Cahill wrote: September 6th, 2022, 8:42 pm I presumed the 'they' who have their fingers in pies refered to sportswashing gulf states in general - UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia

I stand corrected, you can see the room for error there though, I presume
yep, it was badly and unclearly phrased on my part
I have Bumbleflex