URC 22/23

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

naraic
Mullet

Re: URC 22/23

Post by naraic »

Its definitely an issue.

We should also consider the national media's stance towards the game. A major podcast was slammed recently on this forum for talking for 10 minutes each about the Munster and Ulster/Connacht games and then spending 10 seconds talking about the Leinster Sharks game (and of course Leinster will win and that was it).

Its worth noting that last years quarter final had about 8,000 Leinster fans so theres improvement.

There may not be rugby fatigue but theres definitely knockout fatigue.

The season ticket covers 11 regular season games and then theres 7 knockout games (assuming we reach the final) in addition to that in Dublin this year.
Last edited by naraic on May 7th, 2023, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

naraic wrote: May 7th, 2023, 9:43 am Its definitely an issue.

We should also consider the national media's stance towards the game. A major podcast was slammed recently on this forum for talking for 10 minutes each about the Munster and Ulster/Connacht games and then spending 10 seconds talking about the Leinster Sharks game (and of course Leinster will win and that was it).

Its worth noting that last years quarter final had about 8,000 Leinster fans so theres improvement.

There may not be rugby fatigue but theres definitely knockout fatigue.

The season ticket covers 10 regular season games and then theres 7 knockout games (assuming we reach the final) in addition to that in Dublin this year.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Fans feel they are getting screwed by Ticketmaster / URC / ERCR / 6N. To be a Leinster & Irish fan with two kids / fans is a very expensive business with current competition structures & pricing. Sure, we have less travelling but prices & attitude in Aviva is anti-fan.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Grafting on a quarter-final stage to a league is one step too f*cking far. Really don't like it.

There was a lot of criticism of the European Cup schedule for taking four rounds of pool games to eliminate eight teams out of twenty-four. The URC has taken eighteen rounds of games to eliminate eight teams out of sixteen. And then the league becomes a cup. And there's already a cup.

There's already a reward for finishing in the top half of the table: you get to play in a more prestigious and more lucrative cup competition for the following season. The idea that you can compete for a league title having finished eighth in the league ... it's ridiculous.

Either go to the barrage system, where the top two get a bye week, third place hosts sixth place and fourth place hosts fifth place; or go to semi-finals, with all four teams getting a bye week, first hosting fourth and second hosting third.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Leinster homepage doesn't immediately hit you with ticket news, even on the ticket news section.

The general sale starts on Tuesday. Season ticket holders sale starts business hours Monday morning.

Fans have missed out on Saturday evening, Sunday all day and Monday before work (+ Tuesday for a lot others). Then if they can't go online during work hours they miss out on good seats. If you take out match day purchases, that's basically half the week gone before you can log on and select a ticket. Prices aren't up on ticketmaster.

Fans hate scrambling for tickets. Make tickets cheap and easy to get and more would sell.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: May 7th, 2023, 12:41 pm Grafting on a quarter-final stage to a league is one step too f*cking far. Really don't like it.

There was a lot of criticism of the European Cup schedule for taking four rounds of pool games to eliminate eight teams out of twenty-four. The URC has taken eighteen rounds of games to eliminate eight teams out of sixteen. And then the league becomes a cup. And there's already a cup.

There's already a reward for finishing in the top half of the table: you get to play in a more prestigious and more lucrative cup competition for the following season. The idea that you can compete for a league title having finished eighth in the league ... it's ridiculous.

Either go to the barrage system, where the top two get a bye week, third place hosts sixth place and fourth place hosts fifth place; or go to semi-finals, with all four teams getting a bye week, first hosting fourth and second hosting third.
We're one of 16 teams in the league, and our perspective is often different. We might be the only team in the last ew years that would have been glad of a bye week. Maybe that's where a barrage is a better compromise.

Ultimately it's probably more about the teams fighting to get in than the ones at the top. There was a good contest to get into the top 8 and the teams in it have generally been worthy this year. I'd imagine that Leinster don't like the idea of missing getting paid for a home game on 1 level.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

hugonaut wrote: May 7th, 2023, 12:41 pm Grafting on a quarter-final stage to a league is one step too f*cking far. Really don't like it.

I can’t imagine many teams being happy to concede a big payday, which would be the case in your scenario.

Granted, after paying the rent on the Aviva, Leinster probably wouldn’t have made much off of Saturday’s game, but I’d imagine that most other teams would be delighted with it.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's only 1 less game in total. Though 2 teams lose home games. In theory, 1 game that sells well with 2 weeks of marketing might sell more than 2 that have historically been the hardest sell.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Agree. QF is too much.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 9:19 am This weekend showed a true reflection of what the general public think of the URC.

14.6k fans turned up to see one of the best teams in the world play in a quarter final.
That is following a week where 46k showed up to watch the same team play in a Euro semi, which many complained was over priced.

The league is definitely getting better, and the overall attendance is increasing, but it’s clear that fans haven’t fully bought into the league.
I expect to see a bump in attendance next week, as the derby nature of the game will generate reasonable interest, but I’d be surprised if it is a sellout.

Is this rugby saturation? Is it the fact that the result was inevitable? Or is it that the league is still not seen in the same light as other leagues?

This is not a Leinster problem, as I’m of Munster were playing Glasgow at home, they would have had a similar attendance.
The South Africans think the URC is great. 46,888 was flashed across the screen yesterday at the match in Cape Town. A record crowd for the season.
I hope their enthusiasm spreads north rather than the other way around.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

blockhead wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:25 pm
munster#1 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 9:19 am This weekend showed a true reflection of what the general public think of the URC.

14.6k fans turned up to see one of the best teams in the world play in a quarter final.
That is following a week where 46k showed up to watch the same team play in a Euro semi, which many complained was over priced.

The league is definitely getting better, and the overall attendance is increasing, but it’s clear that fans haven’t fully bought into the league.
I expect to see a bump in attendance next week, as the derby nature of the game will generate reasonable interest, but I’d be surprised if it is a sellout.

Is this rugby saturation? Is it the fact that the result was inevitable? Or is it that the league is still not seen in the same light as other leagues?

This is not a Leinster problem, as I’m of Munster were playing Glasgow at home, they would have had a similar attendance.
The South Africans think the URC is great. 46,888 was flashed across the screen yesterday at the match in Cape Town. A record crowd for the season.
Enjoy it while it lasts lads. The Saffers will dominate Europe totally within 5 years.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

jezzer wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:37 pm
blockhead wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:25 pm

Enjoy it while it lasts lads. The Saffers will dominate Europe totally within 5 years.
As long as Leinster are dining at the top table too, that's grand with me. The Saffers are URC, like the provinces!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:55 pm
jezzer wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:37 pm
blockhead wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:25 pm The South Africans think the URC is great. 46,888 was flashed across the screen yesterday at the match in Cape Town. A record crowd for the season.
As long as Leinster are dining at the top table too, that's grand with me. The Saffers are URC, like the provinces!!!
Yeah, the Saffers, French and Leinster dominating European rugby would be very satisfying indeed. The English would be bitchin and screamin, and complaining about Leinster. :lol:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Saffers won't dominate Europe. The French have sorted out their act with limits on foreign players in club teams, strong underage and senior-level national sides, and big t.v. and private sector money. Not to mention a huge population where rugby is the second most popular sport.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

munster#1 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 1:25 pm

I can’t imagine many teams being happy to concede a big payday, which would be the case in your scenario.

Granted, after paying the rent on the Aviva, Leinster probably wouldn’t have made much off of Saturday’s game, but I’d imagine that most other teams would be delighted with it.
It's the only downside of being so successful, Leinster have had an abnormal amount of knockout games in the Aviva this year. No club team can shift the volume of tickets week after week, required to make an attendance in the Aviva look even respectable. Club rugby is a niche sport played in small stadiums.

These QFs don't sell, I was shocked to see plenty of empty seats at the Glasgow and Ulster games. We now basically have 5 days to sell tickets for two massive stadiums, there's simply not enough space in the calendar for this format.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Keith wrote: May 7th, 2023, 6:09 pm

It's the only downside of being so successful, Leinster have had an abnormal amount of knockout games in the Aviva this year. No club team can shift the volume of tickets week after week, required to make an attendance in the Aviva look even respectable. Club rugby is a niche sport played in small stadiums.

These QFs don't sell, I was shocked to see plenty of empty seats at the Glasgow and Ulster games. We now basically have 5 days to sell tickets for two massive stadiums, there's simply not enough space in the calendar for this format.
When it was the Pro12 we played 22 League game + SF and Final. Now we play 18 games the QF, SF and Final. 3 games less for a finalist. In the Heino it takes 8 games to win the title instead of 9.
We are down 6 groups games over both tournaments, that's 6 weekends freed up. There should be plenty of space.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

blockhead wrote: May 9th, 2023, 11:39 pm
Keith wrote: May 7th, 2023, 6:09 pm

When it was the Pro12 we played 22 League game + SF and Final. Now we play 18 games the QF, SF and Final. 3 games less for a finalist. In the Heino it takes 8 games to win the title instead of 9.
We are down 6 groups games over both tournaments, that's 6 weekends freed up. There should be plenty of space.
A lot of those league games were played during the 6 nations and AIs though weren't they?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Keith wrote: May 10th, 2023, 9:39 am
blockhead wrote: May 9th, 2023, 11:39 pm
Keith wrote: May 7th, 2023, 6:09 pm It's the only downside of being so successful, Leinster have had an abnormal amount of knockout games in the Aviva this year. No club team can shift the volume of tickets week after week, required to make an attendance in the Aviva look even respectable. Club rugby is a niche sport played in small stadiums.

A lot of those league games were played during the 6 nations and AIs though weren't they?
Yeah, they got rid of them in part due to us. While I agree with it, going forward it makes our and Ireland's pathways for player development more difficult.
Also, they were on the season ticket. All the games with six days to sell the tickets, aren't. Quarter finals in a league are taking the absolute piss.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

SATURDAY, MAY 13

DHL Stormers v Connacht
DHL Stadium, Cape Town – KO 15.00 IRE & UK / 16.00 ITA & SA
Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU, 72nd league game)
AR 1: Sam Grove-White (SRU) AR 2: Hollie Davidson (SRU)
TMO: Ben Blain (SRU)

Best referee as a AR v in the middle, mystery how Mad Mike gets these gigs.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I genuinely give Connacht a shout in this one. Can be tricky to back up a big, intense performance with another one, but Stormers are in the same boat.

Seems like Connacht as a team and the players individually are peaking at the right time. Not many senior players you would say aren't on an upward trajectory, 4 or 5 at most.

It's not at altitude and shouldn't be hot. Full deck to pick from. They have a puncher's chance