Connacht 2022/23

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Connacht 2022/23

Post by ronk »

jezzer wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 7:50 pm The announcement in the42 includes an eyebrow-raising little tidbit:

Getting Muldoon on board would be a significant coup for Connacht, not least as they are apparently pursuing a fairly rigorous locals-first policy in contract renewals and recruitment, which has led to some disquiet in the camp in recent weeks.
Sounds like agent talk.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

It must be head wrecking to be a Connacht fan. They go in level at ht when they should be at least 14 ahead. Fortunately Dragons got a red so it is still in Connacht's hands but their ineptitude in attack must go
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Connacht win 22-20 but a horrific performance. Dragons missed one penalty and 2 drops to win it. The error count was through the roof in this one
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

enby wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:26 pm It must be head wrecking to be a Connacht fan. They go in level at ht when they should be at least 14 ahead. Fortunately Dragons got a red so it is still in Connacht's hands but their ineptitude in attack must go
But if the "kick the ball away" tactics were those of the new Head Coach, they are destined to join Zebre and Dragons at the bottom of the pile. That sort of dross will lose them chances, players and fans very quickly. Lucky, lucky Connacht on this occasion.
connachta
Beginner

Post by connachta »

Plaese help us.
CC final or not, defend you unbeaten season, take revenge, please, please send a good team for Bulls on the last game of the season.
Connacht have a much harder path to Europe than any others (facing Irish provinces more, hindered by stupid sub-pools rule). So Leinster or Munster, on IRFU begging, have to give us a winning gift in South Africa this W-E
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:29 pm
enby wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:26 pm It must be head wrecking to be a Connacht fan. They go in level at ht when they should be at least 14 ahead. Fortunately Dragons got a red so it is still in Connacht's hands but their ineptitude in attack must go
But if the "kick the ball away" tactics were those of the new Head Coach, they are destined to join Zebre and Dragons at the bottom of the pile. That sort of dross will lose them chances, players and fans very quickly. Lucky, lucky Connacht on this occasion.
That was a disgraceful performance. A player up for 55 minutes and they repeatedly kick to the heavens despite the Dragons being very calm under the high ball. Win a scrum against the head and score off it, a few minutes later get a free kick from another scrum, but instead of going again to force the penalty, launch it back at the heavens. Headless.

And what an indictment of the management. Blade plays extremely poorly. Reilly has been picked on the bench, presumably because Marmion is departing, and we are begging for someone to change the game - they don't even bring Reilly on! WTF, give me strength. How many times have we seen Marmion steady the ship?

Meanwhile we now appear to have four 12s on our books, and the only announced signing for next year is Joe Joyce, a lock, where we already have the two Murrays, Thornbury, Murphy, and Dowling?

Hawkshaw has been great at 12 but has not made the grade at 10. We need another 10, Tom Daly should try out, because otherwise he doesn't really have a role.

The mismanagement would drive you mad.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by berliner

That was a disgraceful performance. A player up for 55 minutes and they repeatedly kick to the heavens despite the Dragons being very calm under the high ball. Win a scrum against the head and score off it, a few minutes later get a free kick from another scrum, but instead of going again to force the penalty, launch it back at the heavens. Headless.

And what an indictment of the management. Blade plays extremely poorly. Reilly has been picked on the bench, presumably because Marmion is departing, and we are begging for someone to change the game - they don't even bring Reilly on! WTF, give me strength. How many times have we seen Marmion steady the ship?

Meanwhile we now appear to have four 12s on our books, and the only announced signing for next year is Joe Joyce, a lock, where we already have the two Murrays, Thornbury, Murphy, and Dowling?

Hawkshaw has been great at 12 but has not made the grade at 10. We need another 10, Tom Daly should try out, because otherwise he doesn't really have a role.

The mismanagement would drive you mad.
Very much agree on Marmion. Carty goes down and you don't have a leader on the field. Butler is an alright captain but Marmion strikes me as the more forceful personality who will demand more from the people around him. Connacht can be shockingly bad sometimes.

[EDIT] Supposedly Delahunt is been released and is very unhappy about it.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

connachta wrote: March 4th, 2023, 10:20 pm Plaese help us.
CC final or not, defend you unbeaten season, take revenge, please, please send a good team for Bulls on the last game of the season.
Connacht have a much harder path to Europe than any others (facing Irish provinces more, hindered by stupid sub-pools rule). So Leinster or Munster, on IRFU begging, have to give us a winning gift in South Africa this W-E
Connacht have the toughest route no doubt, but they also have no business qualifying for the HC on that performance. Serious recruitment is needed, they need to look abroad really.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Keith wrote: March 5th, 2023, 12:40 pm . Serious recruitment is needed, they need to look abroad really.
They need to look within. If they can't get the best out of the players they have, they won't get the best out of recruits.

And given the difficulty of their schedule they are not a good use of the IRFU's player acquisition budget, most of the time.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

They are capable of far better than the appalling dross they served up last night with the players that they have. They do need quality at half back and a proper leader in the forwards. They have never really replaced Muldoon in his role as the enforcer.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by enby

They are capable of far better than the appalling dross they served up last night with the players that they have. They do need quality at half back and a proper leader in the forwards. They have never really replaced Muldoon in his role as the enforcer.
I agree to an extent but the management is not smart either. Some of the sub decisions last night were not good. Connacht need to be smarter and use the resources and budget they have.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 3:08 pm
by enby

I agree to an extent but the management is not smart either. Some of the sub decisions last night were not good. Connacht need to be smarter and use the resources and budget they have.
In the forwards I could see Boyle or Thornbury taking on that role, although GT has been damned with injuries the last two seasons.

At 10 Carty is good, but we're too dependent on him and need a challenger. Conor Fitzgerald filled that role for a while but couldn't take it to the next level, and will probably get cut. That leaves two options. Forde has made impressive progress this season and earned his wings at 12. Maybe he can take another bite at 10, his preferred position underage, whoch works because we have Hawkshaw/Bundee at 12 as well. The other option is Tom Daly. Now it's late in his career for such a conversion, but he has experience, a big boot and can kick from the tee as well. The emergence of Forde/Hawkshaw is the end of TD's career at 12, so either he switches or leaves. Harry West should get a shot at some point, but as second choice in the U20s he'll need to have a rapid metamorphosis to be an option in the next couple of years.

I am having a lot of difficulty reconciling myself with the Marmion decision, it feels like vandalism. As mentioned above there are other places where savings could have been made to balance the budget. I know there are very high hopes for Devine but that's going to take time. Beyond the immediate impact, it raises questions about the coaching teams' judgment at the very beginning f a new administration. When combined with the talk about 'local preference' in contact renewals, it makes a bad impression - are we now being run by a bunch of incompetent chauvinists?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Connacht winger Alex Wootton has announced his intention to retire from professional rugby at the end of the season.

The 28-year-old, who spent five years at Munster before joining Connacht in 2021, has decided to bow out on his own terms and focus on life outside of rugby.

Wootton was born in England, but is Irish-qualified through his dad, who hails from Down. The winger represented Ireland Sevens and the Ireland U-20s.

He recently scored a hat-trick in Connacht’s Challenge Cup win over Brive, but he has been in and out of the team this season.

In his three years at the Sportsground, having joined initially on a one-year long deal from Munster in 2020 before signing a two-year contract, Wootton has played 40 times for Connacht, scoring 18 tries.

He will hope to play a part in Connacht’s run-in before he hangs up his boots.

"After 11 incredible years playing professionally for Northampton Saints, Munster, Connacht and representing Ireland 7s,” Wootton said.

“I have decided to retire from professional rugby on my own terms at the end of the 2022/23 season.

“I am extremely grateful for the opportunities that rugby has afforded me and I would like to express my gratitude to my teammates, coaches, support staff and fans over the years who have been with me every step of the way. Playing alongside such talented and dedicated individuals has been an absolute privilege.

“I would also like to give a special mention to my wife and my family, who have been a constant source of love, support and encouragement throughout my rugby career. Their unwavering presence and understanding have been instrumental in my success.

“Retiring from rugby is the right decision for me and my loved ones. I am excited about the opportunities that await me in the next chapter of my life and I look forward to embracing new challenges with the same passion and dedication that I brought to the rugby field.

“I want to extend my appreciation to everyone who has been a part of my journey. It has been an incredible ride, one that I will always cherish and hold dear to my heart."

A statement from the western province added:

“Everyone at Connacht Rugby thanks Alex for his contribution to the club during his time here and we wish him and his family every happiness in the future.”

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 72515.html
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I wonder why he decided to call it now. I'm not saying there is a grand conspiracy or anything but he was fit and doing well. Regardless good luck to him post rugby.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:15 am I wonder why he decided to call it now. I'm not saying there is a grand conspiracy or anything but he was fit and doing well. Regardless good luck to him post rugby.
If he has a good opportunity outside of rugby it's going to be a much much easier time than finding a new contract elsewhere currently. Contracts are racing to the bottom for squad players/journeymen.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Morf wrote: March 8th, 2023, 2:57 am
sunshiner1 wrote: March 7th, 2023, 3:15 am I wonder why he decided to call it now. I'm not saying there is a grand conspiracy or anything but he was fit and doing well. Regardless good luck to him post rugby.
If he has a good opportunity outside of rugby it's going to be a much much easier time than finding a new contract elsewhere currently. Contracts are racing to the bottom for squad players/journeymen.
Or if his wife is settled in Galway and gainfully employed and Connacht didn't offer a contract moving/long distance relationship might not be an option.

For midlevel players who wouldn't be on massive salaries an employed spouse might earn more than a professional rugby player.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

RTE news : Connacht add Irish-qualified Jansen to their ranks

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/0310 ... eir-ranks/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

IanD wrote: March 10th, 2023, 3:39 pm RTE news : Connacht add Irish-qualified Jansen to their ranks

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/0310 ... eir-ranks/
doesn't really support the "pursuing a fairly rigorous locals-first policy in contract renewals and recruitment" talk
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

He's a very good player, but we have an ex academy player who has stepped up and is starting to pull up some trees, hope he does well for Connacht.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

tigerburnie wrote: March 10th, 2023, 5:19 pm He's a very good player, but we have an ex academy player who has stepped up and is starting to pull up some trees, hope he does well for Connacht.
👍🏻