Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by Hoofhearted »

munster#1 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:13 am :clap:
Hoofhearted wrote: October 6th, 2022, 10:58 pm :roll:
munster#1 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 4:39 pm

Munster have made the knockouts in Europe and the league almost every season over the last 10 years, often making the last 4 in Europe in that time, all with very few internationals on their books.
If that’s a shambles of a team I’d love to hear your opinion on teams not hitting that level.
If anything I would say that Munster are a team that regularly over performed rather than underperformed.

Just some players who imo have joined Munster and improved:
Oliver
Loughman
PP
Beirne
Jones
CJ
Haley

This is a lazy and uneducated narrative that gets thrown around here by the usual ABM fans.
Joey has had rotten luck with injury which has definitely halted his progress which is very unfortunate for the player, Munster and Ireland.

Edit: for context, Munster have been in the last 4 in Europe 5 of the last 10 years.
If you consider that to be a successful run for a team of Munsters stature then that's fine with me. There are not many teams in the last ten or fifteen years that have had the money, time and effort thrown at them that Munster have had. They are a shambles of an organisation. Rotten from head to toe.

The supposed best supporters in the game who booed their own players. They turned on poor Axel too. Thats all swept under the carpet isnt it?

The people running the team tried to resign Van Granwho was woefully out of his depth.

Let's not forget the people running the team signed a known drugs cheat too! Munster are in my humble

opinion a shambles from head to toe.

How many years now since you won a trophy? Tell me again about how many quarters and semi finals they have gotten too? Laughable.
I never claimed that it was a successful run, as that is something that is subjective, but I would argue that it is far from being a shambles, as my version of a shambles would not include a team that regularly, as in 1 in every 2 years makes the top 4 in Europe, to be a shambles, but your metrics may differ from mine.
Imo what Munster have done would be considered as successful comparative to many clubs

In relation to your comment on money, time and effort,
Can you please quantify your statement?

How many clubs have had less/more money thrown at them?
How much have Munster had thrown at them?
What has the relative return been for each club?

Please provide data for each Irish franchise and their respective competitors as this would provide backup to your seemingly outlandish claims.

Yeah I'll go waste my day pulling figures out for you to prove what the dogs in the street know. Typical Munster fan. Head in the sand.

Ronk has summed it up nicely anyway.

Away with you now.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

The Doc wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:54 am
Hoofhearted wrote::roll:
munster#1 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 4:39 pm

Munster have made the knockouts in Europe and the league almost every season over the last 10 years, often making the last 4 in Europe in that time, all with very few internationals on their books.
If that’s a shambles of a team I’d love to hear your opinion on teams not hitting that level.
If anything I would say that Munster are a team that regularly over performed rather than underperformed.

Just some players who imo have joined Munster and improved:
Oliver
Loughman
PP
Beirne
Jones
CJ
Haley

This is a lazy and uneducated narrative that gets thrown around here by the usual ABM fans.
Joey has had rotten luck with injury which has definitely halted his progress which is very unfortunate for the player, Munster and Ireland.

Edit: for context, Munster have been in the last 4 in Europe 5 of the last 10 years.
If you consider that to be a successful run for a team of Munsters stature then that's fine with me. There are not many teams in the last ten or fifteen years that have had the money, time and effort thrown at them that Munster have had. They are a shambles of an organisation. Rotten from head to toe.

The supposed best supporters in the game who booed their own players. They turned on poor Axel too. Thats all swept under the carpet isnt it?

The people running the team tried to resign Van Granwho was woefully out of his depth.

Let's not forget the people running the team signed a known drugs cheat too! Munster are in my humble opinion a shambles from head to toe.

How many years now since you won a trophy? Tell me again about how many quarters and semi finals they have gotten too? Laughable.
Maybe tone things down a bit?

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Lads like him need the truth given with both barrels.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Hoofhearted wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:42 am
munster#1 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:13 am :clap:
Hoofhearted wrote: October 6th, 2022, 10:58 pm :roll:

Let's not forget the people running the team signed a known drugs cheat too! Munster are in my humble

opinion a shambles from head to toe.

I never claimed that it was a successful run, as that is something that is subjective, but I would argue that it is far from being a shambles, as my version of a shambles would not include a team that regularly, as in 1 in every 2 years makes the top 4 in Europe, to be a shambles, but your metrics may differ from mine.
Imo what Munster have done would be considered as successful comparative to many clubs

In relation to your comment on money, time and effort,
Can you please quantify your statement?

How many clubs have had less/more money thrown at them?
How much have Munster had thrown at them?
What has the relative return been for each club?

Please provide data for each Irish franchise and their respective competitors as this would provide backup to your seemingly outlandish claims.

Yeah I'll go waste my day pulling figures out for you to prove what the dogs in the street know. Typical Munster fan. Head in the sand.

Ronk has summed it up nicely anyway.

Away with you now.
Well to be honest, I didn’t expect you to back up your claim that not many teams have had the money, time and effort thrown at them that Munster have, as that statement is hard to back up as it is woefully untrue, especially when you take a quick look at some of the more successful privately owned clubs in Europe.

Typical Munster fan? That’s another strange and unnecessary comment and shows the level you operate at.

Thankfully you are not the typical Leinster fan.
Have a nice day bud.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

blockhead wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:34 pm
Dexter wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:55 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:48 pm I don't think there's anyone else available to start at 15 other than Joey in fairness.

Will be interesting to see how he goes though. A good performance will certainly open up a conversation.
Yeah was thinking that too.
Interesting how there's never any media conversation on JC's move south being a failure.
The Indo and the Rugby Paper thinks his move to FB is very exciting.
TBF they're not a million miles away.
I saw that and yes they have a point. The thing is, this was a valid point 5 years ago, why roll it out now like it's a new thing?
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dexter wrote: October 7th, 2022, 9:11 am
Dexter wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Yeah was thinking that too.
Interesting how there's never any media conversation on JC's move south being a failure.
I saw that and yes they have a point. The thing is, this was a valid point 5 years ago, why roll it out now like it's a new thing?
A: "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." - Karl Marx, 1852
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

riocard911 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 10:20 am

A: "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce." - Karl Marx, 1852
I am fairly sure that this move is being made due to a lack of fit back 3 players available at the moment, but I also wonder if Farrell has anything to do with this move.

Daly has also been looked at at 15 this season.
I wonder if Ireland are trying to see if they can have a ready to go replacement for Keenan if he needs replacing at the RWC.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

munster#1 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:22 am
riocard911 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 10:20 am
I am fairly sure that this move is being made due to a lack of fit back 3 players available at the moment, but I also wonder if Farrell has anything to do with this move.

Daly has also been looked at at 15 this season.
I wonder if Ireland are trying to see if they can have a ready to go replacement for Keenan if he needs replacing at the RWC.
Simply a case of Munster running out of FBs IMO.
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Even if it is just out of necessity surely they’d play him there more if he does well? I don’t see him being a top class outhalf at this stage but have long thought that playing fullback and getting his confidence back there could be a way to improve his form at ten.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Joey would do really well to displace Haley at fullback.
But with 3 good options at 10 on their books, having Joey move to 15 from time to time would allow all 3 to gain valuable minutes.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

munster#1 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:40 pm Joey would do really well to displace Haley at fullback.
But with 3 good options at 10 on their books, having Joey move to 15 from time to time would allow all 3 to gain valuable minutes.
He's moved clubs at least twice because he couldn't shift the incumbent 10. Now he has the added embarrassment of being usurped by a kid. Odds are that he'll bail. Again.

Great that so many local youngsters are getting the nod under Rowntree by the way.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

deco wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:22 pm
munster#1 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:40 pm Joey would do really well to displace Haley at fullback.
He's moved clubs at least twice because he couldn't shift the incumbent 10. Now he has the added embarrassment of being usurped by a kid. Odds are that he'll bail. Again.

Great that so many local youngsters are getting the nod under Rowntree by the way.
I honestly feel for the lad, he was not served well by Graham Henry proclamation of him as the future of Leinster Rugby, and he was dicked about by Joe Schmidt "encouraging" the move away from Leinster.

He was a classy player who always looked like he had time on the ball, now I wonder will he ever fulfil his early potential. I'd fear it might be a bit too late...
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on October 7th, 2022, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:53 pm

I honestly feel for the lad, he was not served well by Graham Henry proclamation of him as the future of Leinster Rugby, and he was kicked about by Joe Schmidt "encouraging" the move away from Leinster.

He was a classy player who always looked like he had time on the ball, now I wonder will he ever fulfil his early potential. I'd fear it might be a bit too late...
He has terribly unlucky with injury which has really restricted his minutes over the last few years.
All this happened at a time when he would have been developing his game.

He definitely seems like a player lacking in confidence which is really understandable.

At Munster he now has 2 young outhalves nipping at his heals.
Hopefully this competition and pressure is the making of him rather than the breaking of him.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bizarre comment.

In what way has he been usurped by a kid at Munster?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There's precedent, and remarkably similar, Ian Madigan.

The difference is Jackson. He meant that Madigan was allowed leave Ireland, he also is the reason Ireland have persisted with Carbery.

It took years for many fans to come to accept that Madigan was a different player. Carbery is still fast, he still steps, he can put as much pace on the ball as ever, he's a better kicker than he was. He just doesn't play all that effectively that often.

Some players like Beirne and Prendergast (& Keenan) seize that 2nd chance, they fight so hard to keep their career that they overshoot and become elite. Some move to be handed privileges and rewarded for their reputations. They've never quite the same.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looks like pretty good weather in Galway.

Bealham this week has talked about the new pitch allowing Connacht to play their attacking game.

With three playmakers in the backline and Hansen/Ralston/Porch playing with them, I'm fascinated to see how they go.

Without a Daly/Bundee at 12, Connacht look a little light in the backline against Goggin/Fekitoa, but conversely if they have their patterns right they should be able to really challenge both of those guys and make the novice wingers make decisions.

Munster are relying a lot on that 4-8 to get the upper hand over their counterparts because I don't see that 9/10/12/13 being very impactful in attack personally without really good ball.
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

I think injuries have been a far bigger contributor to Carbery's struggles than the coaching/player development down at Munster. It was team Ireland that seemingly rushed him back from injury twice (?), not Munster. When he first signed he was getting consistent game time at 10 which he may not have got elsewhere, and played some good stuff at the start of the 18/19 as far as I recall. Then came the injuries.

Even as a Connacht fan I hope he goes well tonight. He seems absolutely shot of confidence, but I can imagine him being almost relieved playing fullback and freed of the demands of controlling the team from 10. At this stage of career, he is not a good outhalf whatsoever, nor do I believe he has the potential to be. He is however a uniquely talented footballer and there may still be a role for him in the international setup.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

"Worst province in Ireland at the moment. Believe it."

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/statu ... 2537267200
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

wixfjord wrote: October 7th, 2022, 9:27 pm "Worst province in Ireland at the moment. Believe it."

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/statu ... 2537267200
Hard to believe with the Don of the West Cork Mafia and the War God playing.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Munster now have Bulls (H), Leinster (A), Ulster (H) before the Autumn Internationals.

Big pressure on the coaching team to produce something.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don’t know what Jackman is seeing to think that the attack will come good. All they can do is truck it up the middle and hope they can get some momentum to get their pick and go game going off it.

Coombes breaking blind off the scrum and not having any team mates on that side before kicking it long when they needed a score is pretty much as bad as it gets. They obviously lacked quality tonight but you couldn’t even see what they were trying to do.