Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Sugary tae
Bookworm

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by Sugary tae »

There’s a lot of promising changes. Especially in terms of developing an attack. Can’t see our pack having the physicality to come out on top against a full strength pack like Leinster last night but I do think there’s guys there who can challenge

In 18 months I’d be assuming a pack of let’s say
Wycherley/loughman
Barron
Salanoa/knox
Ahern/beirne
Edogbo/kleyn
Kendellan
Hodnett
Quinn/Coombes

To be a lot closer. Personally I’ve been very impressed with Barron. Tends to have (typically)good darts and makes very good yards for a guy that doesn’t look massive.
Thought Buckley would have been seen more by now.
Very hard to know about the 4 props apart from the fact that they must be invested in with game time and see if they can develop. Munster as a pack lack the massive ball carrying size required of the front row….of that 6 only salanoa and perhaps Buckley have that size.
Looks to be a couple of tidy backrowers in production.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting to hear on the 42 podcast today Murray K saying he's heard Munster are trying to get out of the Fekitoa deal early.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: December 5th, 2022, 3:18 pm Interesting to hear on the 42 podcast today Murray K saying he's heard Munster are trying to get out of the Fekitoa deal early.
What a surprise - not! Guy's a waste of space, IMO.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

He’s certainly been uninspiring in nearly all his performances so far but I had hoped he would settle in. He’s had a good career so far and you’d home himself and Frisch would dovetail well. However considering the kings ransom I’d rather they jettison if they felt it was being phoned in.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

It would say at this stage it is nothing but rumours, but if it were or is true then this could be a dangerous move.

It could send out a message to all future prospects that should they not perform after a few weeks then then will be cut.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:39 pm It would say at this stage it is nothing but rumours, but if it were or is true then this could be a dangerous move.

It could send out a message to all future prospects that should they not perform after a few weeks then then will be cut.
Well he doesn't mean cut ties now, he means at end of the season. They're hardly going to cancel a guys contract after 3 months!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Part of the problem is Munster. They try and sign a world class centre to do an impossible job.

They need to be 16 stone plus, able to run through brick walls all day long, make line breaks on their own and pass so well that they fix the Munster backline on their own.

They never stay and Munster don't try too hard to keep them when they disappoint. Munster won't fully fix their backline until they give up that dream and take a more realistic approach.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

When is Farrell back?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:18 pm
munster#1 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:39 pm It would say at this stage it is nothing but rumours, but if it were or is true then this could be a dangerous move.

Well he doesn't mean cut ties now, he means at end of the season. They're hardly going to cancel a guys contract after 3 months!
Where did you see me say when they were planning on letting him go?

If it’s next week or at the end of the season it will send out a negative message.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

blockhead wrote: December 5th, 2022, 8:23 pm When is Farrell back?
The last timeline I read was

Appeal against being tried: March 2023
If a decision is made to try the case: Autumn 2023

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/co ... -to-trial/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:46 pm Where did you see me say when they were planning on letting him go?

If it’s next week or at the end of the season it will send out a negative message.

He's not being cut after a few weeks.

It doesn't send out a negative message to get rid of a guy who isn't performing after a season either btw. It's exactly what they should be doing if they can get someone else to take him.

They might've learned some lessons from Snyman.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: December 6th, 2022, 10:23 am
munster#1 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 10:46 pm Where did you see me say when they were planning on letting him go?

It doesn't send out a negative message to get rid of a guy who isn't performing after a season either btw. It's exactly what they should be doing if they can get someone else to take him.

Again you are reading something that is not there.
Me saying that after a few weeks of underperforming they are looking into cutting him, is not me applying a timeline into when he will actually be cut. You are the one putting a timeline on it, and this may be based on knowledge that you have, but I am completely unaware of the content of any ongoing discussions.
I am just saying that looking into the possibility of cutting a player after only a few weeks into a season sends a negative message.

If you believe that it doesn’t, then we will have to agree to disagree, but if I were a player on the lookout for a club, with options, I would look negatively on this president.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Me saying that after a few weeks of underperforming they are looking into cutting him, is not me applying a timeline into when he will actually be cut. You are the one putting a timeline on it, and this may be based on knowledge that you have, but I am completely unaware of the content of any ongoing discussions.
I am just saying that looking into the possibility of cutting a player after only a few weeks into a season sends a negative message.

If you believe that it doesn’t, then we will have to agree to disagree, but if I were a player on the lookout for a club, with options, I would look negatively on this president.
Mad the way posters keep misconstruing your posts and you have to point out that's not what you meant isn't it?
I wonder why that is.

Fekitoa hasn't performed at all, is on big money and Munster, who like all provinces are beginning contract/signing mode are rumoured to be looking to get rid him after one year.

Saying that getting rid of a highly paid under perfomer early sends a 'dangerous, negative message' is pretty symptomatic of Munster's approach to players over the last decade though.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If it were anyone other than Murray K with this I'd dismiss it entirely. It almost always takes players coming from the outside to settle in to a new team, and that would be compounded for Fekitoa by everyone else around him also coming to terms with new systems and tactics.

But it was Murray K so...
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: December 6th, 2022, 7:41 pm
munster#1 wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:30 pm

Mad the way posters keep misconstruing your posts and you have to point out that's not what you meant isn't it?
I wonder why that is.

Fekitoa hasn't performed at all, is on big money and Munster, who like all provinces are beginning contract/signing mode are rumoured to be looking to get rid him after one year.

Saying that getting rid of a highly paid under perfomer early sends a 'dangerous, negative message' is pretty symptomatic of Munster's approach to players over the last decade though.
To be fair, it is mostly you who wants to misunderstand what they are reading. Nowhere have I said that I have knowledge that Munster are going to end a contract within weeks, months or even this year. It is you who is stating that you have knowledge that talks are ongoing for his contract to be cut up at the end of the season.

Again, if you believe that there is no negative message sent from cancelling players contracts early after a few weeks and very few games, then you are welcome to your opinion.
I personally don’t agree with your opinion and am surprised that more posters on here aren’t slating Munster for considering it.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some good news and some bad news as we head into the HC

On the injury front, Conor Murray returns to training this week after recovering from the groin injury he sustained on his 100th Ireland cap against South Africa last month.

Mike Haley is expected to complete his return to play protocols this week with a view to returning to full team training.

Simon Zebo sustained a low-grade knee injury against Edinburgh and will begin rehabilitation with the medical department. He will be unavailable for the coming weeks.

Continuing to rehab: Stephen Archer (ankle), Tom Ahern (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Fineen Wycherley (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Jack O’Sullivan (knee), Andrew Conway (knee), Keynan Knox (knee).
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Obviously it's always positive to hear about players recovering from injury, but I don't think Murray's return will be a benefit to Munster - you're better off with Casey and Patterson. Likewise, from a performance POV, you won't miss Zebo. I understood bringing him back due to his popularity with the fans, but he's not value for money and you have younger talented wingers. Munster look a lot better backing their youth, and it's better from an Irish POV as well.
munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:09 am Some good news and some bad news as we head into the HC

On the injury front, Conor Murray returns to training this week after recovering from the groin injury he sustained on his 100th Ireland cap against South Africa last month.

Mike Haley is expected to complete his return to play protocols this week with a view to returning to full team training.

Simon Zebo sustained a low-grade knee injury against Edinburgh and will begin rehabilitation with the medical department. He will be unavailable for the coming weeks.

Continuing to rehab: Stephen Archer (ankle), Tom Ahern (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Fineen Wycherley (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Jack O’Sullivan (knee), Andrew Conway (knee), Keynan Knox (knee).
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

berliner wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:29 am Obviously it's always positive to hear about players recovering from injury, but I don't think Murray's return will be a benefit to Munster - you're better off with Casey and Patterson. Likewise, from a performance POV, you won't miss Zebo. I understood bringing him back due to his popularity with the fans, but he's not value for money and you have younger talented wingers. Munster look a lot better backing their youth, and it's better from an Irish POV as well.
munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:09 am Some good news and some bad news as we head into the HC

I personally think Murray’s lack of form is greatly exaggerated.
While the fast pace of Casey and Patterson is a brilliant tool to have, Murray’s game management, strength and kicking ability means that he is a great option for bigger opposition.

Imo Munster are very fortunate in that between their half backs they can select different horses for different courses.

Zebo is still a big game player(queue the children) who has an unbelievable eye for a try and can cover across the back 3.
He also is unreal at getting the crowd behind the team which could be invaluable should he come off the bench in the last quarter.
Saying that, I take your point, Munster have some really talented young back 3 players on their books who should be given every opportunity to progress.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:16 pm
berliner wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:29 am Obviously it's always positive to hear about players recovering from injury, but I don't think Murray's return will be a benefit to Munster - you're better off with Casey and Patterson. Likewise, from a performance POV, you won't miss Zebo. I understood bringing him back due to his popularity with the fans, but he's not value for money and you have younger talented wingers. Munster look a lot better backing their youth, and it's better from an Irish POV as well.

Zebo is still a big game player(queue the children) who has an unbelievable eye for a try and can cover across the back 3.
He also is unreal at getting the crowd behind the team which could be invaluable should he come off the bench in the last quarter.
Saying that, I take your point, Munster have some really talented young back 3 players on their books who should be given every opportunity to progress.
Don't think anybody would deny he has an eye for a meat pie.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ChrisUppy wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm
munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:16 pm

Don't think anybody would deny he has an eye for a meat pie.
He certainly doesn't have the gas anymore. That's obvious.