Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:19 pm Munster:

Joey Carbery; Conor Phillips, Malakai Fekitoa, Dan Goggin, Patrick Campbell; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Edwin Edogbo, Jack O’Sullivan, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Fionn Gibbons.

Connacht

15. Conor Fitzgerald (55)
14. John Porch (62)
13. Byron Ralston (3)
12. David Hawkshaw (3)
11. Mack Hansen (16)
10. Jack Carty (180) (C)
9. Kieran Marmion (212)
1. Denis Buckley (211)
2. Dave Heffernan (168)
3. Finlay Bealham (176)
4. Gavin Thornbury (65)
5. Oisín Dowling (27)
6. Shamus Hurley-Langton (3)
7. Conor Oliver (43)
8. Jarrad Butler (97)

16. Grant Stewart (1)
17. Peter Dooley (3)
18. Jack Aungier (34)
19. Niall Murray (37)
20. Josh Murphy (3)
21. Colm Reilly (10)
22. Tom Daly (63)
23. Paul Boyle (75)

Two fairly well matched sides. I assume Earls/Haley/Zebo are all unavailable? That Munster backline has a patched up look to it.

Pack battle should be interesting. Connacht have some good options to come in in that department too.
Carbery at FB is an interesting experiment.... :|
Dont Panic!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dexter wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:25 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:19 pm Munster:

Joey Carbery; Conor Phillips, Malakai Fekitoa, Dan Goggin, Patrick Campbell; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Edwin Edogbo, Jack O’Sullivan, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Fionn Gibbons.

Connacht

15. Conor Fitzgerald (55)
14. John Porch (62)
13. Byron Ralston (3)
12. David Hawkshaw (3)
11. Mack Hansen (16)
10. Jack Carty (180) (C)
9. Kieran Marmion (212)
1. Denis Buckley (211)
2. Dave Heffernan (168)
3. Finlay Bealham (176)
4. Gavin Thornbury (65)
5. Oisín Dowling (27)
6. Shamus Hurley-Langton (3)
7. Conor Oliver (43)
8. Jarrad Butler (97)

16. Grant Stewart (1)
17. Peter Dooley (3)
18. Jack Aungier (34)
19. Niall Murray (37)
20. Josh Murphy (3)
21. Colm Reilly (10)
22. Tom Daly (63)
23. Paul Boyle (75)

Two fairly well matched sides. I assume Earls/Haley/Zebo are all unavailable? That Munster backline has a patched up look to it.

Pack battle should be interesting. Connacht have some good options to come in in that department too.
Carbery at FB is an interesting experiment.... :|
Only took 5 years to find his best position :lol:
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

That's one of the weakest Connacht sides I've seen in a long time. I think this could be a bit of a hiding for Connacht.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I don't think there's anyone else available to start at 15 other than Joey in fairness.

Will be interesting to see how he goes though. A good performance will certainly open up a conversation.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:48 pm I don't think there's anyone else available to start at 15 other than Joey in fairness.

Will be interesting to see how he goes though. A good performance will certainly open up a conversation.
Yeah was thinking that too.
Interesting how there's never any media conversation on JC's move south being a failure.
Dont Panic!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dexter wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:55 pm
wixfjord wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:48 pm I don't think there's anyone else available to start at 15 other than Joey in fairness.

Interesting how there's never any media conversation on JC's move south being a failure.
I think whatever zip, dynamism, x-factor, call it what you will, he had is gone.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

They might be short of players but going with that centre combo again doesn’t make any sense to me. Joey at fullback might make a difference alright but that midfield has totally killed their attacking game over the last couple of games and given that Goggin has never looked like being the answer in midfield I don’t know why they’d persist with both of them. It’s very one paced now with Murray in there too.

I don’t understand why Josh Murphy is on the bench, seems made for him to play 6 and that would make for a pretty decent 4,5, 6 combination.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

blockhead wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:11 pm

I think whatever zip, dynamism, x-factor, call it what you will, he had is gone.
If he was to return to Leinster in the morning he would have that Zip back in about 3 months. Munster are a shambles and have been for about 10 years or more. I genuinely cant think of a player that has gone there and improved.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I think Campbell is mainly a fullback (played there in the famous, ligindary defeat of Wasps last year) but he's still young so probably a safer option to put him on the wing with Carbery at fullback.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Laighin Break wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:13 pm

I think Campbell is mainly a fullback (played there in the famous, ligindary defeat of Wasps last year) but he's still young so probably a safer option to put him on the wing with Carbery at fullback.
They've no other wingers fit either though right?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Indo and the Rugby Paper thinks his move to FB is very exciting.
TBF they're not a million miles away.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Hoofhearted wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:21 pm

If he was to return to Leinster in the morning he would have that Zip back in about 3 months. Munster are a shambles and have been for about 10 years or more. I genuinely cant think of a player that has gone there and improved.
Munster have made the knockouts in Europe and the league almost every season over the last 10 years, often making the last 4 in Europe in that time, all with very few internationals on their books.
If that’s a shambles of a team I’d love to hear your opinion on teams not hitting that level.
If anything I would say that Munster are a team that regularly over performed rather than underperformed.

Just some players who imo have joined Munster and improved:
Oliver
Loughman
PP
Beirne
Jones
CJ
Haley

This is a lazy and uneducated narrative that gets thrown around here by the usual ABM fans.
Joey has had rotten luck with injury which has definitely halted his progress which is very unfortunate for the player, Munster and Ireland.

Edit: for context, Munster have been in the last 4 in Europe 5 of the last 10 years.
Last edited by munster#1 on October 6th, 2022, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Looking at the Munster team, it is great to see Knox getting ready to make his 4th appearance of the season, and third start.
He is getting some very valuable minutes early on in the season, which if he stays fit will really assist him at the business end of the season.

Also getting to see the likes of Philips and Edogbo playing again along with Fionn coming into the squad in this must win derby is great to see.

I am also delighted to see Coombes name back on the team sheet.
I really hope he pushes on this season and manages to earn a couple of caps along the way, leading into the RWC.

Munster:

Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

What about the young lad who played against Wasps last year? Looked like an exciting young lad. Played with the 20's.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

the spoofer wrote: October 6th, 2022, 4:50 pm

What about the young lad who played against Wasps last year? Looked like an exciting young lad. Played with the 20's.
That’s Campbell, he’s on the wing. He looks like a serious prospect, but Munster are also down wingers, so Campbell will start there.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

:roll:
munster#1 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 4:39 pm

Munster have made the knockouts in Europe and the league almost every season over the last 10 years, often making the last 4 in Europe in that time, all with very few internationals on their books.
If that’s a shambles of a team I’d love to hear your opinion on teams not hitting that level.
If anything I would say that Munster are a team that regularly over performed rather than underperformed.

Oliver
Loughman
PP
Beirne
Jones
CJ
Haley

This is a lazy and uneducated narrative that gets thrown around here by the usual ABM fans.
Joey has had rotten luck with injury which has definitely halted his progress which is very unfortunate for the player, Munster and Ireland.

Edit: for context, Munster have been in the last 4 in Europe 5 of the last 10 years.
If you consider that to be a successful run for a team of Munsters stature then that's fine with me. There are not many teams in the last ten or fifteen years that have had the money, time and effort thrown at them that Munster have had. They are a shambles of an organisation. Rotten from head to toe.

The supposed best supporters in the game who booed their own players. They turned on poor Axel too. Thats all swept under the carpet isnt it?

The people running the team tried to resign Van Granwho was woefully out of his depth.

Let's not forget the people running the team signed a known drugs cheat too! Munster are in my humble opinion a shambles from head to toe.

How many years now since you won a trophy? Tell me again about how many quarters and semi finals they have gotten too? Laughable.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

:clap:
Hoofhearted wrote: October 6th, 2022, 10:58 pm :roll:

Oliver
Loughman
PP
Beirne
Jones
CJ
Haley

If you consider that to be a successful run for a team of Munsters stature then that's fine with me. There are not many teams in the last ten or fifteen years that have had the money, time and effort thrown at them that Munster have had. They are a shambles of an organisation. Rotten from head to toe.

The supposed best supporters in the game who booed their own players. They turned on poor Axel too. Thats all swept under the carpet isnt it?

The people running the team tried to resign Van Granwho was woefully out of his depth.

Let's not forget the people running the team signed a known drugs cheat too! Munster are in my humble

opinion a shambles from head to toe.

How many years now since you won a trophy? Tell me again about how many quarters and semi finals they have gotten too? Laughable.
I never claimed that it was a successful run, as that is something that is subjective, but I would argue that it is far from being a shambles, as my version of a shambles would not include a team that regularly, as in 1 in every 2 years makes the top 4 in Europe, to be a shambles, but your metrics may differ from mine.
Imo what Munster have done would be considered as successful comparative to many clubs

In relation to your comment on money, time and effort,
Can you please quantify your statement?

How many clubs have had less/more money thrown at them?
How much have Munster had thrown at them?
What has the relative return been for each club?

Please provide data for each Irish franchise and their respective competitors as this would provide backup to your seemingly outlandish claims.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:13 am
I never claimed that it was a successful run, as that is something that is subjective, but I would argue that it is far from being a shambles, as my version of a shambles would not include a team that regularly, as in 1 in every 2 years makes the top 4 in Europe, to be a shambles, but your metrics may differ from mine.
Imo what Munster have done would be considered as successful comparative to many clubs

In relation to your comment on money, time and effort,
Can you please quantify your statement?

How many clubs have had less/more money thrown at them?
How much have Munster had thrown at them?
What has the relative return been for each club?

Please provide data for each Irish franchise and their respective competitors as this would provide backup to your seemingly outlandish claims.
Munster were bailed out on and off the field because they haven't been particularly well run. The IRFU stepped in repeatedly to funnel IQ players to them, help fund signing players to improve the squad to prevent a collapse in performance/attendance and also bailed out their stadium loan, which they are still struggling to pay off.

Munster (along with Ulster and Leinster) have a financial model that hinges on home QFs. The IRFU intervene if and when it looks like a team is slipping below that level.

Hopefully that's all history and Munster can go back to pushing things along rather than being pulled. Doesn't look like Connacht are set to present much difficulty to them this weekend.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Hoofhearted wrote::roll:
Hoofhearted wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:21 pm If he was to return to Leinster in the morning he would have that Zip back in about 3 months. Munster are a shambles and have been for about 10 years or more. I genuinely cant think of a player that has gone there and improved.

Oliver
Loughman
PP
Beirne
Jones
CJ
Haley

Let's not forget the people running the team signed a known drugs cheat too! Munster are in my humble opinion a shambles from head to toe.

Maybe tone things down a bit?

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Chris Busby with the whistle could be an important figure based on his style from last season.