Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by Oldschool »

ChrisUppy wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm
munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:16 pm
berliner wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:29 am Obviously it's always positive to hear about players recovering from injury, but I don't think Murray's return will be a benefit to Munster - you're better off with Casey and Patterson. Likewise, from a performance POV, you won't miss Zebo. I understood bringing him back due to his popularity with the fans, but he's not value for money and you have younger talented wingers. Munster look a lot better backing their youth, and it's better from an Irish POV as well.

Zebo is still a big game player(queue the children) who has an unbelievable eye for a try and can cover across the back 3.
He also is unreal at getting the crowd behind the team which could be invaluable should he come off the bench in the last quarter.
Saying that, I take your point, Munster have some really talented young back 3 players on their books who should be given every opportunity to progress.
Don't think anybody would deny he has an eye for a meat pie.
Cockney for Try? :lol:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ChrisUppy wrote: December 7th, 2022, 1:04 pm
berliner wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:29 am Obviously it's always positive to hear about players recovering from injury, but I don't think Murray's return will be a benefit to Munster - you're better off with Casey and Patterson. Likewise, from a performance POV, you won't miss Zebo. I understood bringing him back due to his popularity with the fans, but he's not value for money and you have younger talented wingers. Munster look a lot better backing their youth, and it's better from an Irish POV as well.

Zebo is still a big game player(queue the children) who has an unbelievable eye for a try and can cover across the back 3.
He also is unreal at getting the crowd behind the team which could be invaluable should he come off the bench in the last quarter.
Saying that, I take your point, Munster have some really talented young back 3 players on their books who should be given every opportunity to progress.
Don't think anybody would deny he has an eye for a meat pie.
Once he can wash it down with some Tanora and Mayo chips
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 3:09 am Some good news and some bad news as we head into the HC

On the injury front, Conor Murray returns to training this week after recovering from the groin injury he sustained on his 100th Ireland cap against South Africa last month.

Mike Haley is expected to complete his return to play protocols this week with a view to returning to full team training.

Simon Zebo sustained a low-grade knee injury against Edinburgh and will begin rehabilitation with the medical department. He will be unavailable for the coming weeks.

Continuing to rehab: Stephen Archer (ankle), Tom Ahern (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Fineen Wycherley (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Jack O’Sullivan (knee), Andrew Conway (knee), Keynan Knox (knee).
I personally think Murray’s lack of form is greatly exaggerated.
While the fast pace of Casey and Patterson is a brilliant tool to have, Murray’s game management, strength and kicking ability means that he is a great option for bigger opposition.

Imo Munster are very fortunate in that between their half backs they can select different horses for different courses.

Does he still cover 15? Rowntree doesn't seem to think so... getting shunted out to the wing, while Daly gets picked at 15 is pretty damning. In fact he hasn't started a game at 15 since his Racing days.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Murray is useful but not essential, Haley is important, Zebo is almost a liability.

I thought he was having his best game of the season when he went off. He was off the pace but he won a few aerial challenges.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: December 7th, 2022, 6:06 pm

While the fast pace of Casey and Patterson is a brilliant tool to have, Murray’s game management, strength and kicking ability means that he is a great option for bigger opposition.

Imo Munster are very fortunate in that between their half backs they can select different horses for different courses.

Does he still cover 15? Rowntree doesn't seem to think so... getting shunted out to the wing, while Daly gets picked at 15 is pretty damning. In fact he hasn't started a game at 15 since his Racing days.
He has a fair few caps at 15 and has played there in a hell of a lot of games for Munster and Racing. At 32 he still has a few years left in him and I’d be slow to write him off.
He might not be getting selected there for Munster at the moment, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be able to cover the back 3 if needed.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

POM saying that he’d love to play a HC knockout match in PUC.
It would be a great occasion, but I’m not sure that knockout rugby will be in the cards for Munster this season.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 22923.html
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:42 pm POM saying that he’d love to play a HC knockout match in PUC.
It would be a great occasion, but I’m not sure that knockout rugby will be in the cards for Munster this season.

POM is the Neymar of rugby, without the talent.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:42 pm POM saying that he’d love to play a HC knockout match in PUC.

incredible downplaying,
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

blockhead wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:16 pm

I know very little about soccer but I have at least heard of Neymar and his faking injury/showboating. Couldn't think of anyone more different to POM!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: December 8th, 2022, 8:33 am
blockhead wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:16 pm

I know very little about soccer but I have at least heard of Neymar and his faking injury/showboating. Couldn't think of anyone more different to POM!
Me either!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Rowntree indicated that Ryan may have his contract extended.
He has put in a great shift since returning, his scrummaging and play around the park is very good, and he is probably the ideal player to bring on the 2 young THs coming through.
Ryan was an unfortunate victim of the financial issues brought about by Covid, meaning that as his contract was up and Archer’s wasn’t, Ryan was the one to be let go.

Salanoa unfortunately has shown that he is not there yet, Knox has struggled to stay fit and Archer is likely to be finishing up at the end of the season, so a 2 year deal for Ryan would be a good move imo.

I knew that question was coming,” Rowntree said with a wry smile yesterday, when asked about whether Ryan would be kept beyond that point. “Potentially, potentially. We’re looking at it.

“He’s been excellent, excellent. That happened very quickly. He became available, sad state of affairs that was with Wasps, a great club.

Rowntree said “He became available and we needed cover in that position, and he’s fitted straight in. He’s been good to have around, good craic, and he’s playing well. He’s durable as well, rarely gets injured, and his game input’s huge.”
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

munster#1 wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:20 pm

He has a fair few caps at 15 and has played there in a hell of a lot of games for Munster and Racing. At 32 he still has a few years left in him and I’d be slow to write him off.
He might not be getting selected there for Munster at the moment, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be able to cover the back 3 if needed.
A good pro wing who keeps himself in top shape may survive into his thirties ((Earls). One who doesn't won't (Zebo).
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

the spoofer wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:13 pm
A good pro wing who keeps himself in top shape may survive into his thirties ((Earls). One who doesn't won't (Zebo).
Round is a shape
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:23 pm
the spoofer wrote: December 8th, 2022, 12:13 pm

Round is a shape
Quip of the day! Take a bow!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

The media and some fans seem to be pushing that Munster have almost no chance in this game, which I can't understand at all. French teams are notoriously poor away from home in the group stages. This should be a tight game, the only surprise would be if Munster are hammered. I'm backing a Munster win here to be honest.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Keith wrote: December 9th, 2022, 10:18 am The media and some fans seem to be pushing that Munster have almost no chance in this game, which I can't understand at all. French teams are notoriously poor away from home in the group stages. This should be a tight game, the only surprise would be if Munster are hammered. I'm backing a Munster win here to be honest.
Totally agree. Toulouse are 3 point favourites, probably rightly.

But Thornley is 100% right that Thomond on a Euro night is always a very tough place to get a win. Toulouse don't have a brilliant record in Thomond and Munster have always pushed them close or won.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

No Fekitoa. Looks like the rumours could be true but Scannell fits the new system well.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Is that a selection call of Murray over PP I wonder? Massive one if it is.

Munster
15. Mike Haley
14. Calvin Nash
13. Antoine Frisch
12. Rory Scannell
11. Shane Daly
10. Joey Carbery
9. Craig Casey
1. Jeremy Loughman
2. Niall Scannell
3. John Ryan
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Tadhg Beirne
6. Peter O’Mahony (Captain)
7. John Hodnett
8. Gavin Coombes
Replacements:

16. Diarmuid Barron
17. Josh Wycherley
18. Roman Salanoa
19. Jack O’Donoghue
20. Alex Kendellen
21. Paddy Patterson
22. Jack Crowley
23. Keith Earls
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I really like the look of that team, especially with Earls making a welcome return to HC rugby.

The selected back 3 are exciting, and will hopefully give trouble to the Toulouse team.

PO coming on to further increase the tempo for the last 15 along with Crowley will be exciting, but I worry about our sun front row, especially when you consider how destructive Toulouse can be.
I suspect we may see Ryan putting in a longer than usual shift, injury permitting.

No Fekitoa is a big call, and based on how well Scans and Fresh have went together, it is on the face of it, the right call.