Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

naraic
Mullet

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by naraic »

munster#1 wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:48 pm Really have to feel for Farrell. Granted I don’t have all the facts of his case, but from what I’ve heard, he is being prosecuted for something that wouldn’t be considered a crime in Ireland, but Ireland is the country that deems him as surplus to requirements.

I really believe that Farrell is a player who could have really pushed on under the Munster coaching structure, and from what I’ve heard he’s been working really hard up until a couple of weeks ago with a view to returning to action with Munster in the near future.

Munster are now minus a very good player, and will be worse off without him.
I suspect that the biggest reason for this release is that Munster can't plan for next season. His case won't be heard till sometime between September and December and Munster probably don't want to go into a new season with a maybe asterix attached to one of their centers. They needed to know. We had this discussion here recently when Fekitoa was released and were discussing if Munster needed a new signing. I said yes and someone else said no mentioning that Farrell could come back.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Farrells salary is cheaper than the bad press from a rape trial. It becomes a smaller deal in the press here and stops the IRFU from having to get out in front of a story or development. They can stand the crisis PR team down they don't need to risk being sued by him.

Pay him off and let him fend for himself with his next contract. He might even have offers on the table and be able to play sooner.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Without speculating on the circumstances I wonder does it mean another signing?? Frisch and nankivell would be the expected starters. Crowley can play 12 but with Healy off I suspect he’ll only play 10. Scannell has barely played under rowntree while goggin is game but a bit back in terms of quality. There had been a rumour of jake flannery returning?
Earls n Conway are barely seen these days. Nash and daly have made the wing spots their own. Zebo is fit for pasture I suspect. Campbell looks an excellent player.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Sugary tae wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 8:58 pm Without speculating on the circumstances I wonder does it mean another signing?? Frisch and nankivell would be the expected starters. Crowley can play 12 but with Healy off I suspect he’ll only play 10. Scannell has barely played under rowntree while goggin is game but a bit back in terms of quality. There had been a rumour of jake flannery returning?
Earls n Conway are barely seen these days. Nash and daly have made the wing spots their own. Zebo is fit for pasture I suspect. Campbell looks an excellent player.
With Frisch and Nankivell Munster will have 2 centres who are close to international standard.
IMO Frisch could have slotted in for Ireland ahead of Aki and would have done better.

The problem Munster have, and you mention it also, is that there is a big drop off after these 2.
Looking further down the line, there isn’t much else coming through.

If Munster want to really compete for silverware they will need to strengthen their options in the centre.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the back 3.
Even without Earls and Conway, Munster have performed really well using Nash, Daly, Haley, Campbell and Coombes
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

munster#1 wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 10:02 pm
Sugary tae wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 8:58 pm Without speculating on the circumstances I wonder does it mean another signing?? Frisch and nankivell would be the expected starters. Crowley can play 12 but with Healy off I suspect he’ll only play 10. Scannell has barely played under rowntree while goggin is game but a bit back in terms of quality. There had been a rumour of jake flannery returning?
With Frisch and Nankivell Munster will have 2 centres who are close to international standard.
IMO Frisch could have slotted in for Ireland ahead of Aki and would have done better.

The problem Munster have, and you mention it also, is that there is a big drop off after these 2.

If Munster want to really compete for silverware they will need to strengthen their options in the centre.

Even without Earls and Conway, Munster have performed really well using Nash, Daly, Haley, Campbell and Coombes
Connacht aren't keeping all their centres. Might be a decent bargain pickup to be had.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

jezzer wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 10:26 pm
munster#1 wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 10:02 pm

Connacht aren't keeping all their centres. Might be a decent bargain pickup to be had.
Who would you add to the list of potential signings?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Sean O'Brien of Exeter is the only one who jumps out at me in an IQ setting. Daly is rumoured to be moving who could be good but that's just rumour.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Bad injury profile but Peter Robb would be worth a look to get back to Ireland
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 3:18 am Sean O'Brien of Exeter is the only one who jumps out at me in an IQ setting. Daly is rumoured to be moving who could be good but that's just rumour.
Tom Daly? That would be a good move.

Exeter's SOB hasn't been playing much this season, has he been injured?

Maybe the fabled Piers O'Connor might be back as an option.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by wixfjord

I thought Piers O'Connor already signed for them for next season?
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

jimbobjoe wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 7:53 am Bad injury profile but Peter Robb would be worth a look to get back to Ireland

Didn’t he retire due to injury ?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Sugary tae wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 9:03 am
jimbobjoe wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 7:53 am Bad injury profile but Peter Robb would be worth a look to get back to Ireland

Didn’t he retire due to injury ?
Playing with Ealing Trailfinders from what I can see.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

wixfjord wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 8:09 am
sunshiner1 wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 3:18 am Sean O'Brien of Exeter is the only one who jumps out at me in an IQ setting. Daly is rumoured to be moving who could be good but that's just rumour.

I remember that rumour about a month ago. He’s IQ isn’t he as well as English aussie and Welsh?? But only wants to wear white which is fair enough.
Seemed to be highly rated. Premiership player of the month and touted as an international

We do our shopping in Bloemfontein anyway
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Sugary tae wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 10:04 am
wixfjord wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 8:09 am

I remember that rumour about a month ago. He’s IQ isn’t he as well as English aussie and Welsh?? But only wants to wear white which is fair enough.
Seemed to be highly rated. Premiership player of the month and touted as an international

We do our shopping in Bloemfontein anyway
😂🤣😂 very good
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Tom Daly is under contract for next season. Only centre out of contract (Bundee situation aside) is Shayne Bolton. Imo it would be a shame for such a good athlete to be lost to Irish rugby after only two years, even if his fundamentals aren't the best. Perhaps this Munster environment could be a good place to get the most out of him.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Sad to hear that Tony Buckley has been added to the list of players being cases against the IRFU.

At 42, he is a very young man to be having to deal with the effects of head injuries.

He is currently working for a medical devise company in Limerick, and I had heard that he had a fairly big health scare recently, to the extent that he is lucky to be alive.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He may want to edit his Wikipedia page:
Show Spoiler:
Buckley confirmed his retirement from professional rugby in June 2014, but decided to continue to play rugby non-professionally with Ulster Bank League side Kanturk. Buckley said “I am lucky that I have emerged from professional rugby relatively intact and capable of enjoying my last couple of seasons with the club I started with. For now it’s back to civilian life.”
Very sorry to hear that he's having problems.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Munster running riot in Cork.

Looking like a long night for the Scarlets
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The scarlets winger there summed up welsh rugby in microcosm. 'Should i come in, stay out, come in, stay out, no, I'll fall over"
I have Bumbleflex
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Scarlets are shocking. Lads trippin over themselves, throwing passes at lads faces. This will be a cricket score.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk