Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: March 26th, 2023, 11:26 pm
Xanthippe wrote: March 26th, 2023, 11:15 pm
Schumi wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:35 pm It looked like a pretty good crowd to me looking on the telly tbh.
It was around 18k and considering ours was about 15k against the reigning champions I don’t think we really have too much to be making fun over.
18K? Really?
Place was half full at best.
17,097 is the official attendance.

For complete comparison, that’s approx 18% of the population of limerick.

Whereas Leinster, despite being so successful, and playing against the reigning champs, had an official attendance of 15,653, or approx 1.25% of the population of Dublin.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

munster#1 wrote: March 26th, 2023, 11:49 pm
Xanthippe wrote: March 26th, 2023, 11:15 pm

It was around 18k and considering ours was about 15k against the reigning champions I don’t think we really have too much to be making fun over.
18K? Really?

Whereas Leinster, despite being so successful, and playing against the reigning champs, had an official attendance of 15,653, or approx 1.25% of the population of Dublin.
I thought the attendance looked fine too in Thomand, but you can't compare the attendances.
Firstly the weather on Friday night was atrocious, the fact that anyone made it out was an achievement. When Leinster get around 16k into the RDS that means that almost all of the covered seats are taken. Not everybody wants to sit in the exposed North and south stands (Thomand rarely even opens those stands for URC games) . Finally this was a huge game for Munster, whereas we were almost certainly guaranteed a home playoff game, no matter what the result.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

As much as I love laughing at Munster, crowd size relative to catchment area is a space they massively outperform us on.

RDS crowds are consistently much lower than Thomond crowds.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: March 27th, 2023, 7:06 am

18K? Really?

I thought the attendance looked fine too in Thomand, but you can't compare the attendances.
Firstly the weather on Friday night was atrocious, the fact that anyone made it out was an achievement. When Leinster get around 16k into the RDS that means that almost all of the covered seats are taken. Not everybody wants to sit in the exposed North and south stands (Thomand rarely even opens those stands for URC games) . Finally this was a huge game for Munster, whereas we were almost certainly guaranteed a home playoff game, no matter what the result.
I appreciate that not everyone thinks that Munster are poor at getting people through the gates.
But, the communion joke is one that comes up here so regularly, that it’s clear that there are a number of posters that haven’t a clue what they are talking about. (Not saying you fall into that group)

You are correct. The north and south ends of TP are closed for most URC games, but it is worth noting that the east and west hold more than most club rugby stadiums.
It’s possible that the closed north and south give a false impression of low attendance?

I don’t want to start a pissing contest, I just want to highlight how an attendance like Saturday’s compares, even to the bigger occasions in the RDS.
For example, the Glasgow game had a better attendance that the Leinster v Ulster derby and the Leinster v Gloucester HC game.
The Glasgow game is second only to the the Leinster v Connacht game in terms of attendance.

That is impressive even on a like for like basis, but when you take each cities respective populations into account, then, imo, you come to 1 of 3 conclusion.
a. Leinster are underperforming
b. Munster are over performing
c. Both of the above
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Can't get pissy about people pointing out that you don't meet your own self set standards as "the world's greatest fans" of "gods own province" when neither is true now.
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

The attendance at the weekend should be the last of munsters worries.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:51 am The attendance at the weekend should be the last of munsters worries.
Totally agree with you. The thing about both attendance numbers that gets me is that they include season tickets irrespective of whether the holder shows up or not. Until they change that people will continue to make posts about numbers.

That said Munster were terrible at the weekend and they have lot's to worry about before they head to Durban. For me the biggest worry is that their backrow simply didn't show up. Players lauded by Munster's fans such as Hodnet and Coombes were absolutely terrible. They just went missing. If they do that again next week not only are Munster not going to get a home draw but they could struggle to get Champions cup rugby next year.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

munster#1 wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:32 am
Keith wrote: March 27th, 2023, 7:06 am

I appreciate that not everyone thinks that Munster are poor at getting people through the gates.
But, the communion joke is one that comes up here so regularly, that it’s clear that there are a number of posters that haven’t a clue what they are talking about. (Not saying you fall into that group)

You are correct. The north and south ends of TP are closed for most URC games, but it is worth noting that the east and west hold more than most club rugby stadiums.
It’s possible that the closed north and south give a false impression of low attendance?

I don’t want to start a pissing contest, I just want to highlight how an attendance like Saturday’s compares, even to the bigger occasions in the RDS.
For example, the Glasgow game had a better attendance that the Leinster v Ulster derby and the Leinster v Gloucester HC game.
The Glasgow game is second only to the the Leinster v Connacht game in terms of attendance.

That is impressive even on a like for like basis, but when you take each cities respective populations into account, then, imo, you come to 1 of 3 conclusion.
a. Leinster are underperforming
b. Munster are over performing
c. Both of the above
Its not really a fair comparison as I've outline above. The stadium setups are different and Leinster probably have some of the most expensive tickets in club rugby. I've been very critical of Leinster's attendances in the past but they've been good this year with another 40k+ attendance coming this weekend.

If the attendance was 17k than it really shows the positive changes in the URC. The fact that every game feels like a must win has translated to attendances.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

offshorerules wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:13 am The thing about both attendance numbers that gets me is that they include season tickets irrespective of whether the holder shows up or not. Until they change that people will continue to make posts about numbers.
That changed a few years ago afaik - I believe the numbers now are what comes through the turnstiles (a couple of the games have attendance lower than ST numbers)
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

You learn something new...
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

There was a game against Edinburgh last year at something like 5.30 on a Friday that had an attendance under the number of season tickets sold (it was under 10k I think) so they definitely don't include season ticket holders who don't attend any more.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Leinster haven't included all season tickets in the attendance figures since the 2014/15 season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: March 27th, 2023, 1:52 pm Leinster haven't included all season tickets in the attendance figures since the 2014/15 season.
So a match could sell out and still get the same official attendance as Friday.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ronk wrote:
cormac wrote: March 27th, 2023, 1:52 pm Leinster haven't included all season tickets in the attendance figures since the 2014/15 season.
If there were a load of no-shows... Yup.

It's attendance rather than tickets sold

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:23 am
That's happened at least 3 times this season. A lot of those would be corporate tickets.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:51 am The attendance at the weekend should be the last of munsters worries.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Munster Travelling Squad
Forwards: Dave Kilcoyne, Josh Wycherley; Diarmuid Barron, Scott Buckley, Niall Scannell; Stephen Archer, Keynan Knox, Roman Salanoa; Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman, Fineen Wycherley; Gavin Coombes, John Hodnett, Alex Kendellen, Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony.

Backs: Craig Casey, Conor Murray, Paddy Patterson; Joey Carbery, Jack Crowley, Ben Healy; Malakai Fekitoa, Antoine Frisch; Shane Daly, Mike Haley, Calvin Nash, Simon Zebo.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Looks weak.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bringing those 8 front rows on a tour of SA for a knockout game is a big risk.

Du Toit, Sadie, Bongi & Ox will be licking their lips.

If Munster can avoid an arm wrestle and control the ball they'll win though. Sharks are totally devoid of control at halfback.

I'd be 100% starting Murray for this one.
Last edited by wixfjord on March 28th, 2023, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Is Loughman injured?