Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by wixfjord »

Praising the Munster marketing team for selling tickets to Dermot Kennedy & Ed Sheeran that they have no role in selling is fair praise alright!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: November 29th, 2022, 8:22 pm Praising the Munster marketing team for selling tickets to Dermot Kennedy & Ed Sheeran that they have no role in selling is fair praise alright!
One would imagine that there would be a fair bit of marketing involved in getting acts such as Ed Sheeran and Dermot Kennedy to come and play in the stadium.

From my experience, a couple of companies that I have worked with have been brought in to see the conference and meeting facilities in the stadium, which I of course ensured I was involved in.
The stadium itself is a business, and it is actively marketed.

If it were an easy sell you’d imagine that there would have been a lot more gigs by now.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 8:45 pm
wixfjord wrote: November 29th, 2022, 8:22 pm Praising the Munster marketing team for selling tickets to Dermot Kennedy & Ed Sheeran that they have no role in selling is fair praise alright!
One would imagine that there would be a fair bit of marketing involved in getting acts such as Ed Sheeran and Dermot Kennedy to come and play in the stadium.

From my experience, a couple of companies that I have worked with have been brought in to see the conference and meeting facilities in the stadium, which I of course ensured I was involved in.

If it were an easy sell you’d imagine that there would have been a lot more gigs by now.
The Thomond Park Stadium marketing & commercial team are in charge of corporate and concert business, not the Munster Rugby marketing & commercial team.

It's like praising Leinster Rugby for getting The Killers into the RDS, or IRFU for getting Westlife into the Aviva.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: November 29th, 2022, 9:00 pm

The Thomond Park Stadium marketing & commercial team are in charge of corporate and concert business, not the Munster Rugby marketing & commercial team.

It's like praising Leinster Rugby for getting The Killers into the RDS, or IRFU for getting Westlife into the Aviva.
I think you know it’s nothing like the same thing with Leinster and the RDS.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 9:10 pm

Leinster are tenants in the stadium, but like with Munster and TP and IRFU and Aviva, there are separate teams that manage events and corporate activity in the stadium.

Of that I'm absolutely sure.

The Munster Rugby marketing and commercial team have nothing to do with selling tickets for or getting Dermot Kennedy to play in Thomond.

When, as you say, you went in to see the conference and meeting facilities, you were dealing with the Thomond Stadium team, not the Munster Rugby one.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: November 29th, 2022, 9:55 pm
wixfjord wrote: November 29th, 2022, 9:00 pm The Thomond Park Stadium marketing & commercial team are in charge of corporate and concert business, not the Munster Rugby marketing & commercial team.

Leinster are tenants in the stadium, but like with Munster and TP and IRFU and Aviva, there are separate teams that manage events and corporate activity in the stadium.

The Munster Rugby marketing and commercial team have nothing to do with selling tickets for or getting Dermot Kennedy to play in Thomond.

When, as you say, you went in to see the conference and meeting facilities, you were dealing with the Thomond Stadium team, not the Munster Rugby one.
Leave him alone FFS.
He has to brag about something.
Munsters losing run has now passed into decades.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote: November 29th, 2022, 9:55 pm

Are you sure that the teams operate separately?

Firstly, before you went down this pedantic and unnecessary path you should have noted that I did not mention the Munster Rugby marketing team or the TP marketing team.

Secondly, as I’m sure you are aware, the end goal for both is one and the same regardless of their particular marketing remit, which is a completely different thing to what Leinster have with the RDS,

To put it very simply. Munster will benefit financially from a concert held in TP, whereas Leinster would make no gain should the RDS hold 20 concerts.

Now, back to the topic at hand, this is a big positive for Munster.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

munster#1 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:31 pm From a purely financial point of view, the Ed Sheeran concerts, the SA match and now the Dermot Kennedy concert are massive.

I don’t know what the actual figures are for each of these, but I would imagine it is over the 7 figure mark.
This is a major result for Munster and one that the marketing team should be very proud of.

Hopefully going forward we see more of this.
I see Lenihan saying that moving the Leinster derby to Cork could add €300k, which might sound small, but it’s the equivalent of 3 years repayments on TP.
Throw in a couple of concerts each summer in TP and Munster could well increase their annual income by close to €1m.
Utilising Thomond park for non rugby uses is something Munster Rugby (or Thomond Park Stadium company) should be actively doing as a matter of course. I think there was a 7 or 8 year gap with no concerts before Ed Sheeran which I thought was a waste and a major failing. I'm glad to see Kennedy coming in now and I do agree that its a positive sign.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sports/other/ ... r-AA14Huo6

€1.2m for only getting 45k into Aviva, and that was not counting €300k for the IRFU. That's strange accounting to me. One branch of the IRFU paying another is still revenue for the IRFU.

In the same way, concert profit for Munster Rugby is useful for Irish rugby, but it doesn't really make sense to compare with Leinster. Leinster don't get RDS concert revenue, and the IRFU get (& share with the FAI) Aviva concert revenue. But there's no actual issue there that needs resolving, except in imagined fan rivalries.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: November 30th, 2022, 2:56 am https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sports/other/ ... r-AA14Huo6

€1.2m for only getting 45k into Aviva, and that was not counting €300k for the IRFU. That's strange accounting to me. One branch of the IRFU paying another is still revenue for the IRFU.

In the same way, concert profit for Munster Rugby is useful for Irish rugby, but it doesn't really make sense to compare with Leinster. Leinster don't get RDS concert revenue, and the IRFU get (& share with the FAI) Aviva concert revenue. But there's no actual issue there that needs resolving, except in imagined fan rivalries.
Aviva is IRFU / FAI / Ir Gov owned. The company receives revenue for third-parties, including rental fees for fully-dressed Stadium, and such fees are offset against outgoings including security & maintenance.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

naraic wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:09 am
munster#1 wrote: November 29th, 2022, 7:31 pm From a purely financial point of view, the Ed Sheeran concerts, the SA match and now the Dermot Kennedy concert are massive.

I don’t know what the actual figures are for each of these, but I would imagine it is over the 7 figure mark.
This is a major result for Munster and one that the marketing team should be very proud of.

I see Lenihan saying that moving the Leinster derby to Cork could add €300k, which might sound small, but it’s the equivalent of 3 years repayments on TP.
Throw in a couple of concerts each summer in TP and Munster could well increase their annual income by close to €1m.
Utilising Thomond park for non rugby uses is something Munster Rugby (or Thomond Park Stadium company) should be actively doing as a matter of course. I think there was a 7 or 8 year gap with no concerts before Ed Sheeran which I thought was a waste and a major failing. I'm glad to see Kennedy coming in now and I do agree that its a positive sign.
The original plan was to hold 2 per year, so you are correct, the stadium is under-utilised.
Hopefully this concert sells out fast and an additional date is added, which would bring it to 2 concerts in 2022 and 2 in 2023.

I do not work in marketing stadiums for things like this, but I’d imagine that a it is an difficult size stadium to sell as it is smaller than alternatives which are a short drive away, and it is based in a city with a population which would be considered a town in many countries.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:43 am

The original plan was to hold 2 per year, so you are correct, the stadium is under-utilised.
Hopefully this concert sells out fast and an additional date is added, which would bring it to 2 concerts in 2022 and 2 in 2023.

I do not work in marketing stadiums for things like this, but I’d imagine that a it is an difficult size stadium to sell as it is smaller than alternatives which are a short drive away, and it is based in a city with a population which would be considered a town in many countries.
Musgrave park holds concerts throughout the summer too.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

dropkick wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Incredible effort by the Marketing team in Munsyer rugby
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: November 30th, 2022, 12:21 pm

Munsgrave is a massive success.
Whilst many would question having a second ground, between concerts with 7 on 2022 and another 7 planned for 2023, festivals and the U20s, couples with the relatively low overheads it really is a no brainer.

I would love to see the financials of Musgrave to see what kind of profit it brings in.

It would be great if they could utilise TP to the same level in the summer months.
I personally think there is a largely untapped market for holding music festivals, conferences etc. outside of one off concerts.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dupont free to play against Munster after having his four week ban for the red card received against South Africa reduced by two weeks.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Munster team to play Edinburgh

Munster: Shane Daly; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Joey Carbery, Craig Casey; Jeremy Loughman, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, Roman Salanoa, Jack O’Donoghue, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, Patrick Campbell.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Good looking team that appears to reflect current form and should be capable of getting a result.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Given how strong Munster have gone for these two games, they're going to need to rest some players in a big game further down the line. The mention before Connacht was that in the next 10 game block Irish guys can only play 7. They've already played POM, Beirne, Joey, Casey etc in two games, they'll rest guys against Lions & Benetton, but that leave one other game they can't play the full whack.

I wonder will we see a weaker side go to Belfast on NYD or might they mix and match against us and Northampton?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Can Munster rest any players for URC games? Their position is precarious but retrievable as regards qualification for the Champions Cup next season - but they don't have much room for error left. The win over Connacht gave them some breathing room, but they should be resting their frontline players from the Champions Cup for the URC
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:38 pm Can Munster rest any players for URC games? Their position is precarious but retrievable as regards qualification for the Champions Cup next season - but they don't have much room for error left. The win over Connacht gave them some breathing room, but they should be resting their frontline players from the Champions Cup for the URC
That's certainly going to be a massive decision for Rowntree.

They could look to throw away the trip to Belfast and hope that the non Irish guys will get them through Lions at home and Benetton away (as well as us in Thomond).