Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by ronk »

Sugary tae wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:26 pm Don’t get the zebo hate tbh. Conway has barely played a game in 2 seasons. Earls clearly on the way out. I’m not denying he’s at the top of his game (obviously injured a lot this season) but I fail to see how it’s such a poor bet to sign him. Bar L Coombes who I’m a fan of but has yet to set the world alight who are we not starting in the back 3? There isn’t anyone in the academy I’m missing??
I’m reliably told we tried to sign a tighthead but we’re told no dice play the Irish lads.

I get zebo is Marmite but frankly those with such strong opinions i mental put in the same box as the Munster fans who derided heaslip the best Irish 8 bar none. For a guy who’s played for the lions 25 tries in the top14 and managed 10 tries since he’s returned he’s got some ability.
Munster reached so far to sign a fading player who was cut by Racing that they needed IRFU help. That should be reserved for strategic moves for the national team. Not that he had powerful factions supporting him. He never got close to an Irish squad, it’s clear that it wasn’t driven by Faz. If it had been Munster signing him to fill a need in the squad it would have been one thing. It never made rugby sense, and explaining it by referencing his popularity added to the controversy.

He’s a player who’s courted controversy. And he was happy to play it up when it suited him. It endears him to some, but invited strong opinions.

Watching him play he looks like a player going through the motions. It’s common enough to see guys move for money to finish off their careers and see intensity levels drop.

The game in Ireland has changed in recent years. “Selfish” wingers was fine. Stockdale, Larmour, Lowe were all players who carried or stepped first and passed later. And all had struggles and either adapted or are still struggling. Newer wingers are more like Hansen or O’Brien: still elusive, but also accomplished passers. Their skilfulness stands out. They don’t need to wait until the end of a move and then finish it one on one.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Sugary tae wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:26 pm Don’t get the zebo hate tbh. Conway has barely played a game in 2 seasons. Earls clearly on the way out. I’m not denying he’s at the top of his game (obviously injured a lot this season) but I fail to see how it’s such a poor bet to sign him. Bar L Coombes who I’m a fan of but has yet to set the world alight who are we not starting in the back 3? There isn’t anyone in the academy I’m missing??
I’m reliably told we tried to sign a tighthead but we’re told no dice play the Irish lads.

I get zebo is Marmite but frankly those with such strong opinions i mental put in the same box as the Munster fans who derided heaslip the best Irish 8 bar none. For a guy who’s played for the lions 25 tries in the top14 and managed 10 tries since he’s returned he’s got some ability.
He's got huge natural talent, I think literally everyone would agree with that.

He has had a great career too.

But, he has clearly not optimised it and is clearly not a model professional when it comes to fitness & diet.

In terms of the Heaslip comparison, Heaslip was disliked by some Munster fans because he was an excellent player, a slightly aloof guy and kept Coughlan out of an Irish shirt for over a decade.

Zebo is disliked by some Leinster fans because he has repeatedly made banteriffic comments about how much he hates Leinster in the media. He also decided to mock his Irish teammates after losses and generally act like a spoiled child because he couldn't manage to work with Schmidt's coaching.

Given how little impact he has had since his return from Racing and the fact Munster needed IRFU support (and possibly outside investment?) to sign him in a position they were already well set, I think it's clear that it wasn't a great signing.

He's nowhere near a Munster first 15 at the moment, and guys like Calvin Nash & Shane Daly are well ahead of him in the pecking order.

We were told he'd push for Keenan's green jersey and be in a RWC squad, but he hasn't even entered that conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Quinny saying that Ryan may be in his way back to Munster in September.
This may indicate that a TH will not be signed and that Ryan will be used as a mentor to the 2 young THs.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Very easy to explain the Zebo thing. He's Neil Francis. Extraordinary talent, subordinary application. For example, you listed his achievements, and for a lot of players they'd be great, but can you honestly say that, given his ability, he has delivered on it? Compare him to DO'C - a great of Munster Rugby who, and he'd freely admit this himself, didn't have half the ability that Zebo did. But DO'C played nearly 450 games at the highest levels - he would do almost anything to play, almost anything to get an edge. He squeezed his career until the pips squeaked and left nothing behind.

Don't mind the 'hat in the bin' type stuff at all myself, it's just lads having a bit of craic. He's good at that stuff, the rugby king of vertical video. Throwing snark at Ireland though is a bit dodge, especially for a guy who does have a real understanding of how the media, traditional and 2.0, works.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:15 am

Very easy to explain the Zebo thing. He's Neil Francis. Extraordinary talent, subordinary application. For example, you listed his achievements, and for a lot of players they'd be great, but can you honestly say that, given his ability, he has delivered on it? Compare him to DO'C - a great of Munster Rugby who, and he'd freely admit this himself, didn't have half the ability that Zebo did. But DO'C played nearly 450 games at the highest levels - he would do almost anything to play, almost anything to get an edge. He squeezed his career until the pips squeaked and left nothing behind.

Don't mind the 'hat in the bin' type stuff at all myself, it's just lads having a bit of craic. He's good at that stuff, the rugby king of vertical video. Throwing snark at Ireland though is a bit dodge, especially for a guy who does have a real understanding of how the media, traditional and 2.0, works.
I have to admit that I avoid RTE's rugby coverage. Their line up of commentators and pundits leaves me cold and the addition of "Zeebs" does nothing to improve that.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Excellent summing up!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

the spoofer wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:08 pm

I have to admit that I avoid RTE's rugby coverage. Their line up of commentators and pundits leaves me cold and the addition of "Zeebs" does nothing to improve that.
+1 in every regard.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Personally I don’t disagree with a lot of that actually.

Ryan back next year regressed after a season in super rugby would be fantastic. Win all round. Like it or not I suspect we/Ireland are going to try everything to get knox/salanoa up to the standard required.
Last edited by Sugary tae on January 24th, 2023, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

F Wycherley likely to be back this weekend.
Good timing considering Beirne is unavailable, as is Coombes which would have left Munster very short in the row
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Sounds like rg might be back for the European knockouts.

Bennetton match is absolutely huge tho. Need the ppoints for European qualification.

It’ll be interesting to see whether they see fineen at 6 or 4. For me he does so much right as a scrummaging Ruck busting lock but if they pair him with kleyn we’re vulnerable at lineout time unless there’s two jumpers from the backrow
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A fully fit RG Snyman would make a massive difference to that Munster team.
I really feel sorry for the young lad.
I'm torn between wanting him to fully recover and become an amazing player again and wanting Munster to fall flat on their face for another decade.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Sugary tae wrote: January 24th, 2023, 9:13 pm Sounds like rg might be back for the European knockouts.

Bennetton match is absolutely huge tho. Need the ppoints for European qualification.

It’ll be interesting to see whether they see fineen at 6 or 4. For me he does so much right as a scrummaging Ruck busting lock but if they pair him with kleyn we’re vulnerable at lineout time unless there’s two jumpers from the backrow
RG could make a massive difference to the Munster team if fit.
I really hope he can get an extended run in the Munster team and go on to show what he is capable of.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster are heading into this weekend which could turn out to be a bit of a banana skin for them.
Treviso have been going well so far this season, and are ahead of Munster going into this game.

Munster are missing some vital players for this game, but Treviso have been hit even harder.
It will be 2 teams filled with players trying to show the international coaches what they are missing, and also show their club coaches that they should be starting more regularly, which will make for an exciting match.

The Munster front row will likely contain Salanoa, Buckley and Wycherley, which is a young and exciting trio.
The second row will likely be Kleyn and Wycherley, but at some stage Kleyn, who has started 14 games already this season, will need a rest.
Backrow, like front row will likely contain a young/inexperienced trio, with my guess being JOS, Hodnett and Kendellan.

Carbery will be given a chance to redeem himself outside 4 Fu€ks.

Hopefully we get to see Fekitoa and Frisch start this game. They were very good against Toulouse, and should create a lot of headaches.

Back 3 will likely be Nash, Daly and Campbell.

Not a bad team, but I suspect the lack of depth will really show on the bench.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Banana Skin me arse. Treviso will be shorn of internationals too. Munster should be winning this.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Treviso have a paper thin squad and they're missing more players than Munster.

Munster have barely been affected by international release as they have depth in positions affected, to the extent that many of them would propabably have been picked anyway due to rotation.

Getting the 2 Wycherley's back completely changes the depth position.

Whoever did fixtures for Treviso made an almighty screw up by not realising that Treviso might be jockeying for league position with Munster. This could end up costing them a playoff place.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

munster#1 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:00 pm Carbery will be given a chance to redeem himself outside 4 Fu€ks.
What does this mean?
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Nickname for Patterson due to an expletive filled post match interview.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Fair nuff :lol:
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

paddyor wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:07 pm Banana Skin me arse. Treviso will be shorn of internationals too. Munster should be winning this.
yeah ridiculous. :lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Avenger wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:39 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 26th, 2023, 1:00 pm Carbery will be given a chance to redeem himself outside 4 Fu€ks.
What does this mean?
Paddy Patterson, who has been given this particular nickname after his infamous interview.
If you haven’t seen it yet, it is definitely worth a watch.