Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 30th, 2023, 11:09 am
sunshiner1 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 9:45 am
by munster#1

From a Munster perspective, now would seem like an opportune time to increase the capacity of Musgrave Park to around 12k.
With 4 sellouts including the U20s and 8 concerts, it would be justified, and imo is required.
Would it though? The debt for Thomond Park hurt Munster (and the IRFU) for a long time. Musgrave Park was done up not that long ago and seems fit for purpose.
And getting anything done in Cork is a nightmare - the residents in Ballyphehane are particularly concerned about Muzzer, are well organised, and guess who is back on the council from that ward?
Reggie from Blackrock Road? :wink:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 9:45 am
by munster#1

From a Munster perspective, now would seem like an opportune time to increase the capacity of Musgrave Park to around 12k.
With 4 sellouts including the U20s and 8 concerts, it would be justified, and imo is required.
Would it though? The debt for Thomond Park hurt Munster (and the IRFU) for a long time. Musgrave Park was done up not that long ago and seems fit for purpose.
Not going to get into the TP debt restructure, but Musgrave is a completely different point.

Musgrave held 5 games so far this season and 4 have been sold out.
Cork is a big catchment area with great growth potential, but with the restricted capacity of Musgrave, the potential can not be fulfilled.
So the increase would make great sense at this time from a purely ticket sales perspective.

On the financial aspect, from what I’m hearing, Musgrave added significantly to the bottom line last season and is due to do so again this season with even more concerts and events than last year.

I personally think 12k-12.5k is where that stadium needs to be. Having seen demand for tickets first hand, and applying the logic that Munster are losing revenue by playing games in Musgrave due to demand out stripping supply, 12k-12.5k would place Musgrave perfectly for URC games, where that would be a reasonable attendance.

On top of that, Munster should be looking to play the Leinster game in PUC each season to further grow the game in Cork and increase revenue.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

The Sharks have a very formidable pack. They have the power and skills to really put pressure on Munster up front.
Munster will need to match this and try to out play the Sharks out wide.

Imo Munster have the players and game plan to do this, but they have to be better than last week.

My team based on the opposition would be:
Killer
Scannell
Archer
Snyman
Kleyn
POM
Hodnett
Coombes
Murray
Crowley
Nash
Fekitoa
Frisch
Daly
Haley
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Roman Salanoa; Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O’Donoghue, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Alex Kendellen.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

munster#1 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:09 pm Munster: Mike Haley; Calvin Nash, Antoine Frisch, Malakai Fekitoa, Shane Daly; Jack Crowley, Craig Casey; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Roman Salanoa; Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman; Peter O’Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Josh Wycherley, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Jack O’Donoghue, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Alex Kendellen.
Crowley and Casey beat out the fading forces. A new dawn in Munster.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Delighted for Crowley and Casey, they look to be the future of Munster rugby for a good few years.

Salanoa is a big call, but with the 2 giant locks behind the front row, he will have some assistance.

RG starting is a big show of faith in his fitness, and match fitness.

Munster are clearly predicting an arm wrestle with the 6-2 split.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

After last week's display, amazed to see Kilcoyne selected. Possibly the presence of PO'M in his ear is expected to put / keep a rocket up his armpit!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Ruckedtobits wrote:After last week's display, amazed to see Kilcoyne selected. Possibly the presence of PO'M in his ear is expected to put / keep a rocket up his armpit!
According to ultimate rugby killer is starting at 8 tomorrow, with kleyn at tight head and POM in the 2nd row!!!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:20 pm After last week's display, amazed to see Kilcoyne selected. Possibly the presence of PO'M in his ear is expected to put / keep a rocket up his armpit!
Really?
I doubt there are too many props around who have had issues in the scrum at some stage in their career.
Would be a bit harsh to throw a prop, especially one with a career like Killer’s, to the wolves after one poor display.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

munster#1 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:30 pm Delighted for Crowley and Casey, they look to be the future of Munster rugby for a good few years.

Salanoa is a big call, but with the 2 giant locks behind the front row, he will have some assistance.

RG had to start surely? The only alternative was Fineen Wycherley - a guy who is too small to be a lock and too slow for the backrow. What would you be holding Snyman back for if he wasn't going to start here?

As others posted - Kilcoyne is the interesting call to me - he's had an awful time of it in the scrums a couple of times this year, and it isn't going to be any easier up against a tight five of Ox, Bongi, Du Toit, Etzebeth and the drug cheat Grobler this weekend.

Saying it's one poor display from Kilcoyne isn't the case either - Finlay Bealham completely did him over against Connacht this season too. He's down for 12 scrum offences in the URC alone this year (that's only one less than the other three props for Munster this weekend combined).
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:20 pm After last week's display, amazed to see Kilcoyne selected. Possibly the presence of PO'M in his ear is expected to put / keep a rocket up his armpit!
with loughman injured, they have no one else.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

FtD wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:43 pm
munster#1 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 12:30 pm Delighted for Crowley and Casey, they look to be the future of Munster rugby for a good few years.

RG had to start surely? The only alternative was Fineen Wycherley - a guy who is too small to be a lock and too slow for the backrow. What would you be holding Snyman back for if he wasn't going to start here?

As others posted - Kilcoyne is the interesting call to me - he's had an awful time of it in the scrums a couple of times this year, and it isn't going to be any easier up against a tight five of Ox, Bongi, Du Toit, Etzebeth and the drug cheat Grobler this weekend.

Saying it's one poor display from Kilcoyne isn't the case either - Finlay Bealham completely did him over against Connacht this season too. He's down for 12 scrum offences in the URC alone this year (that's only one less than the other three props for Munster this weekend combined).
RG has played 38 mins of rugby over the last 2 years, following a second fairly major (in sporting terms) surgery, and just one start since he has arrived, so it’s hardly a stretch to think that he may not start a game of this magnitude, but I am delighted that he is.

I am not going to get into the merits of killer’s selection,
As I doubt either of will change our view point.
He will have to console himself with being one of the top capped LH props in Irish rugby history.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

munster#1 wrote: March 31st, 2023, 2:13 pm
FtD wrote: March 31st, 2023, 1:43 pm

RG has played 38 mins of rugby over the last 2 years, following a second fairly major (in sporting terms) surgery, and just one start since he has arrived, so it’s hardly a stretch to think that he may not start a game of this magnitude, but I am delighted that he is.

I am not going to get into the merits of killer’s selection,
As I doubt either of will change our view point.
He will have to console himself with being one of the top capped LH props in Irish rugby history.
I don't know if those Ireland caps will be much consolation to him (or to Munster) if they're hauling him off again this week after 41 mins or so because he can't hold up his side of the scrum.

Loughman's absence is a big loss for Munster here.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Not sure if Casey over Murray is the right call for this personally.

I think Munster want a tight, controlled game.

That Sharks 23 looks great on paper but they're so hot and cold and their halfbacks offer absolutely no control at all.

Barron, Archer and the two Wycherlys look to me like a pretty weak bench front 5 mix and that could be an issue for Munster.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

I would have gone for Murray.
But I suppose they are looking to the future with Casey and Crowley.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

They really are very weak in both the starting and bench front rows. Experience would suggest that that might be a fatal weakness in SA. Anyway I hope they run the saffirs ragged and get an unlikely win.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

enby wrote: March 31st, 2023, 5:20 pm They really are very weak in both the starting and bench front rows. Experience would suggest that that might be a fatal weakness in SA. Anyway I hope they run the saffirs ragged and get an unlikely win.
Mise freisin!!! SUAF!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Munster will win this game if they can keep their heads. Sharks do not have the smarts to play knockout Euro rugby. Some mad decisions already.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Sharks making some weird choices. Kick at goal from half way and then a couple of minutes later they tap and go from 35 metres out.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Pitch is a bit of a shambles
Look out Itchy, he's Irish