Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

heno
Knowledgeable

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by heno »

theghost wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 24th, 2023, 6:01 pm
theghost wrote: May 24th, 2023, 5:30 pm Lurking for a long while.
Good point and question,as a Munster supporter I fully back the current management team. At the start of rowntree era my one hope was that I would get to see progression from munster into a style of play that was consistent and reward based and also that I would get to enjoy watching munster play again on a,regular basis.
Win or lose on sat I see all of that happening at the moment.

Re would I like to see Rog now as coach ,no as I think current set up is heading in right direction.

To turn the question around ,I would ask if it was Johnny sexton who had coached LAR to 2 successfull HC wins would you dump your current manager Leo for your crush in this hypothetical question johnny sexton if you thought it would bring success ?
Leo is and always will be our crush, the man who along with Jenno who brought the steel back.

Would we drop Leo for anyone? Sure we chased Graham Henry off after a week
But the question is ,if it was js instead of Rog who was coaching 2 x hc wins for lar ,would you replace Leo with him ? .
In fairness to the original question, rowntree is a novice head coach, whereas Leo has 4 urc titles and 1 hc including a double to his name.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 6:58 pm *** Edited by mod ***
*** Edited by mod ***
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Sometimes I’m reading this thread and I’ll convince myself I’ve been wrong about you and that you are actually okay - but then you go and say something like that and I realise I was right all along. *** Edited by mod ***
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

What a ridiculous thing to say about a man who has just captained your country to a series win in NZ and a Grand Slam. A man who had the character to direct your country's international team through all those 40+ phases before dropping the winning goal from 40m in the cauldron of Paris. A man who has earned the respect of those in World Rugby who select World Player of the Year.

Can I suggest that you go away and have a think about yourself and, having done so, edit this utterly inane contribution?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

enby wrote: May 24th, 2023, 7:37 pm
What a ridiculous thing to say about a man who has just captained your country to a series win in NZ and a Grand Slam. A man who had the character to direct your country's international team through all those 40+ phases before dropping the winning goal from 40m in the cauldron of Paris. A man who has earned the respect of those in World Rugby who select World Player of the Year.

Can I suggest that you go away and have a think about yourself and, having done so, edit this utterly inane contribution?
Clearly a tongue in cheek comment in relation to the incessant posting stating that ROG’s record as a coach should be disregarded based on his personality.
Both ROG and Sexton have done amazing things for their country, and if selected on coaching merit I would back both to coach Ireland despite their polarising personalities.
Last edited by munster#1 on May 24th, 2023, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 24th, 2023, 7:10 pm
*** Edited by mod ***
This is a step too far even for you.
That is a horrible term to call anyone.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Do you feel better after writing that?
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

munster#1 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 7:50 pm This is a step too far even for you.
If the shoe fits.
theghost
Learner

Post by theghost »

munster#1 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 6:58 pm If a coaching decision is based on character and respect, I would imagine that Sexton is bottom of most people’s lists?
Not a take that many would agree with if any at all.
Sexton is a winner ,driven ,clever and hard as nails, is he a likeable character on the field ? ,that's different he comes across as spikey even belligerent at times but by god if you wanted a 10 with traits to win a game then he fits the bill.
Same with Rog he got up people's noses on the field but both players were respected as they delivered both provincially and for Ireland.

Many instance the battles and probable early days lack of respect maybe between Rog and JS .
You can see the same traits if you ask me ,both dedicated and classy 10's who knew how to win. Physically JS as a tackler wins hands down but tactical nous around the field and ability to deliver under pressure both stand in good stead.
O gara has made a brilliant start to Coaching career ,hard to know if JS will go down that route but players respect their fellow pros who have done the business themselves and both sexton and Rog in their respective playing careers have walked the walk.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Right, before this blows up any more than it already has, (although not sure it gets much worse than being called a C-unt) I have to clarify that I would have no issue with Sexton or ROG going on to coach Ireland should their coaching ability justify the position.

The comment was clearly a theoretical question based on the reams of comments directed at ROG, with one even describing him as my crush despite me staying out of the anti ROG discussions.

I personally would have the antics of ROG and Sexton on a par, (I’m sure you will meet many who lean more one way or the other) they are both highly motivated, competitive, combative and angry people.
They are also both known for having a bit of a nasty and sulky side, with reputations for disagreeing with referees.

You have to take both sides of them to ensure you get the best version of them. If ROG should be disregarded based on how he handles himself, then imo all others should be held to the same regard.

Again, to remove all doubt, whilst I wouldn’t be a massive fan of the way Sexton portrays himself and to an extent ROG also (as a big Munster fan I am bias a bit), I don’t think either should be removed from consideration based on their personalities.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

For sure the phenomenon described in the Bible as bemoaning the "mote" in the other guy's eye while ignoring the "beam" in one's own is at work here. Currently RO'G is one of the people, if not the person, I most dislike. In contrast, I absolutely love Johnny Sexton. If I wasn't a Leinster and Ireland fan, he'd probably drive me bonkers. C'est la vie...
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 9:54 pm Right, before this blows up any more than it already has, (although not sure it gets much worse than being called a C-unt) I have to clarify that I would have no issue with Sexton or ROG going on to coach Ireland should their coaching ability justify the position.

The comment was clearly a theoretical question based on the reams of comments directed at ROG, with one even describing him as my crush despite me staying out of the anti ROG discussions.

I personally would have the antics of ROG and Sexton on a par, (I’m sure you will meet many who lean more one way or the other) they are both highly motivated, competitive, combative and angry people.
They are also both known for having a bit of a nasty and sulky side, with reputations for disagreeing with referees.

You have to take both sides of them to ensure you get the best version of them. If ROG should be disregarded based on how he handles himself, then imo all others should be held to the same regard.

Again, to remove all doubt, whilst I wouldn’t be a massive fan of the way Sexton portrays himself and to an extent ROG also (as a big Munster fan I am bias a bit), I don’t think either should be removed from consideration based on their personalities.
The crush comment wasn't aimed at you specifically having a crush, it was ROG's relationship with the Munster fanbase. Apologies if you took it that way.

There are 3 separate aspects to ROG's personality/history.

There's the interpro rivalry. I could move past that if he would but it would be tricky to navigate. It doesn't have to be his fault, but it would be easy for him to arouse feelings of bias if he had the Ireland job. The lad has 128 caps and he objected to saying he was coming home to Aviva Stadium.

There's the combativeness and disreputable behaviour ( his shocking disciplinary record as a coach), which some people (including me) have a problem with.

But for the IRFU the most serious is the way he uses politics to advance. He embarrassed Munster to score points with La Rochelle fans when he said he would be Judas to take the job during his 3 year contract (having done exactly that for his move to Crusaders). Then he outed Prendergast's involvement. A year later he leaked being considered for England, which undermined Jones. And also shows that was insincere about wanting to coach Munster. I thought Munster fans had more self-respect but they ate it up.

Hire him? The IRFU can't even talk to him, because he'll use it to undermine their strategy if it doesn't suit him.

Sexton has his history with Munster. It's all moot because hes not going into coaching. But he was captain of Ireland since the last RWC, so it was his job to have a good relationship and the trust of the Munster based players.

People might question Cullens coaching record (which is stellar) in the context of the Irish team, but I don't think there's any argument that he wouldn't excel in the other areas above.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: May 24th, 2023, 7:50 pm
*** Edited by mod ***
There is no both sides to this. ROG has zero class and you trying to taint JS with this Bullshit reflects exactly and accurately upon you as a poster on here.

So here you go - for anyone who is offended by what I called you I apologise , but you have all of the moral authority on this as a gnat.

*** Edited by mod ***
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on May 26th, 2023, 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:37 am

*** Edited by mod ***
There is no both sides to this. ROG has zero class and you trying to taint JS with this Bullshit reflects exactly and accurately upon you as a poster on here.

So here you go - for anyone who is offended by what I called you I apologise , but you have all of the moral authority on this as a gnat.

*** Edited by mod ***
*** Edited by mod ***

I suggest you move away from the keyboard for a few days, as bad as you usually are, you seem a lot worse right now.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:52 am

*** Edited by mod ***
*** Edited by mod ***

I suggest you move away from the keyboard for a few days, as bad as you usually are, you seem a lot worse right now.
Those shoes fit so well in your feet they could have been custom made for you.

You know well this isn’t about a difference in opinion it’s about you being deliberately slimy and odious in trying to setup a scenario comparing JS to classless ROG.

Fair play in one aspect though, you’re definitely using ROG’s methodology…
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on May 25th, 2023, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

munster#1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 8:52 am

*** Edited by mod ***
*** Edited by mod ***

Nah, your trolling has been called out by more than a few people. Maybe you should step away from the keyboard and do us a favour and not come back.
Anyone But New Zealand
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Folks, if you think someone is trolling, you need to use the report function. Having to edit multiple quoted posts and responses isn't fun and the mod team have better things to be doing with our time.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Last time I try to explain myself on this matter.
I can assure you I was not trolling on this matter, I was just drawing a comparison, as I’ve already explained.

I will endeavour to continue to over explain my position where I believe that a misrepresentation or misunderstanding could be made, or where I leave myself open to abuse.

This is a Leinster forum, and as such I generally stay clear of the Leinster thread, and very rarely give a negative opinion on anything related to Leinster or a Leinster player.

To the genuine posters, I wish to apologise for any offence which may have been taken, which I can assure you was not my goal.

Edited to remove the risk of offence
Last edited by munster#1 on May 25th, 2023, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: May 25th, 2023, 10:31 am Last time I try to explain myself on this matter.
I can assure you I was not trolling on this matter, I was just drawing a comparison, as I’ve already explained.

I will endeavour to continue to over explain my position where I believe that a misrepresentation or misunderstanding could be made, or where I leave myself open to abuse.

This is a Leinster forum, and as such I generally stay clear of the Leinster thread, and very rarely give a negative opinion on anything related to Leinster or a Leinster player.

To the genuine posters, I wish to apologise for any offence which may have been taken, which I can assure you was not my goal.

However, and this is the last I will speak of this for now, you have to ask why a forum, for one of the worlds biggest clubs, based on a highly populous location has a footfall which is far short of where it could be, and where opposition fans who regularly visit are limited to a number which could be counted on one hand without using all fingers.
I’ll keep this short. You were trolling 100%, and not very well. And here you are at it yet again.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Right, back on track.

Munster have a big game, well in Munster terms it’s big, which is a clear indication of where Munster are right now.
Not too long ago a URC final would be something that would be almost disregarded, and would most definitely not be massively celebrated.
This was the case when Munster last won the URC, which I can attest to as I went out in Limerick after it, and the lack of red jerseys around town was fairly obvious.

This time around, there is talk of 5,000 fans travelling at great cost to watch the men in red in the final, which if won would cap off what has been a real rollercoaster of a season.

It is very interesting to read that Jackman is confident that Munster could win this one, and I wish I had his confidence as I think Munster will struggle to match the physically of the Stormers pack.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-c ... s-munster/