Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 8:52 pm Q. If you find yourself on the wrong side of the ruck blocking the ball and can't get out, how do you avoid incurring the wrath of the Referee?
A. You play the ball back yourself, thereby not only not conceding a penalty, but earning the gratitude of the Ref and possibly the benefit of the doubt next time around.

Clever play Tadgh, clever play.
Just goes to show he’ll never be a true Munster man. Alan Quinlan would never have done that.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Hearing from a pretty credible source that Aki is moving to Munster. Possibly even mid season.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

CiaranIrl wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 11:49 pm Hearing from a pretty credible source that Aki is moving to Munster. Possibly even mid season.
Been in the papers (first I heard of it too) https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... tle-clash/
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 11:56 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 11:49 pm Hearing from a pretty credible source that Aki is moving to Munster. Possibly even mid season.
Been in the papers (first I heard of it too) https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... tle-clash/
The article says Aki's contract lasts until next year.
IRFU contracts are written in granite.
No way he'd move to Munster while under contract with a fellow province.
The IRFU would not sanction it.
Munster would never be so disrespectful to another Irish Province!
Would they?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

blockhead wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:09 am
ronk wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 11:56 pm
The article says Aki's contract lasts until next year.
IRFU contracts are written in granite.
No way he'd move to Munster while under contract with a fellow province.
The IRFU would not sanction it.
Munster would never be so disrespectful to another Irish Province!
Would they?
Have heard it too. Seems bundee is persona non grate in Galway….up to irfu to find a way to have a centrally contracted (at major cost ) work for aProvincial team.

Can he play tight head or hooker I wonder
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster have only signed 3 centres so far this year so you can see why they'd be so quick to try and sign another if they were available.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

On the game at the weekend, that Munster team can take massive pride in their performance.
Very few teams can go to Toulouse and cause the headaches that Munster did.

Munster were 2 missed kicks away from a draw, and can feel aggrieved by the Healy yellow and the lack of TMO intervention for the tackle on Carberry.
Munster are improving week on week which is a massive positive as a fan and no doubt for the team too.
The Beirne try will be right up there for try of the season and was a clear demonstration of the type of rugby Munster want to play.

Unfortunately Munster are still a distance from being the finished article, which was evident in some of the loose passes and drop balls at times when they looked like scoring or getting in position to score.

Many of the players played out of their skin yesterday, but Fekitoa deserves a mention after so long in the shadows.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

another glorious loss for Munster :clap:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 9:15 am another glorious loss for Munster :clap:
A win with no BP wouldn't have changed their final position anyway.

This game was dead a rubber for them as long as it didn't become a blowout in either direction. Toulouse were at home and had 2nd place up for grabs.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

On the Aki rumour, firstly it is just that, a rumour, so I won’t be getting too bogged down on it.
But, if it does come to fruition I’m not really sure how I’d feel.
It sounds like he’s fallen out of favour due to his fitness levels, if true this probably wouldn’t suit the current Munster style of play.

Additionally, I would worry about his attitude and discipline. He will only be available for limited periods due to his international commitments, and when he is available for selection there’s a good chance he’ll spend a portion of that in the sin bin.

It will be interesting to see how the IRFU handle this one, because it is not great to have him sitting out games for club.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

ronk wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:35 am Munster have only signed 3 centres so far this year so you can see why they'd be so quick to try and sign another if they were available.
:D
Can’t have enough really….foreign ones and Leinster ones tend to get best traction 8)

Rumoured that Rory scannell is off next season with no end in sight in the situation Farrell is in and fekitoa rumoured to be unsettled it may actually be a solution to may problems
Hopefully irfu have learnt some lessons from the Donnacha Ryan situation. Mangled that contract negotiations…I I remember correctly he was open to staying in Ireland and possibly playing In blue as wife had job offer In Dublin ??ended up being lost to the system playing the best rugby of his life….irfu ended up with the kak handed fiasco of signing grobler for pennies hoping no journalists would spot and we had the kleyn/toner cr@p for the World Cup squad when at that time ryan was miles ahead of both.
I’d echo munster#1 post that bundee could be a handful
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sugary tae wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:43 pm
ronk wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:35 am Munster have only signed 3 centres so far this year so you can see why they'd be so quick to try and sign another if they were available.
Can’t have enough really….foreign ones and Leinster ones tend to get best traction 8)

Rumoured that Rory scannell is off next season with no end in sight in the situation Farrell is in and fekitoa rumoured to be unsettled it may actually be a solution to may problems
Hopefully irfu have learnt some lessons from the Donnacha Ryan situation. Mangled that contract negotiations…I I remember correctly he was open to staying in Ireland and possibly playing In blue as wife had job offer In Dublin ??ended up being lost to the system playing the best rugby of his life….irfu ended up with the kak handed fiasco of signing grobler for pennies hoping no journalists would spot and we had the kleyn/toner cr@p for the World Cup squad when at that time ryan was miles ahead of both.
I would hope that the IRFU have learnt something from the Zebo situation where Munster were allowed sign a full back when they'd just bought in several. It didn't help them. That said he would be a huge upgrade on Scannell but an odd one for right now when you just had a functioning centre partnership for the first time in quite a while.

I thought it was Munster/Leinster that messed up Ryan. He didn't want to stay in Munster and Leinster didn't seem to want him. Which was odd.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:37 pm

I would hope that the IRFU have learnt something from the Zebo situation where Munster were allowed sign a full back when they'd just bought in several. It didn't help them. That said he would be a huge upgrade on Scannell but an odd one for right now when you just had a functioning centre partnership for the first time in quite a while.

I thought it was Munster/Leinster that messed up Ryan. He didn't want to stay in Munster and Leinster didn't seem to want him. Which was odd.
Zebo's value add to Munster has been the craic factor and the LOLs. It used be the X-Factor and what have you.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

fourthirtythree wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 2:37 pm

Leinster weren't allowed have him and his other half didn't want to leave her job in Dublin. R92 solved the 2nd part to the satisfaction of all parties (with French lessons included free gratis). That's Paris for you!
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Don’t get the zebo hate tbh. Conway has barely played a game in 2 seasons. Earls clearly on the way out. I’m not denying he’s at the top of his game (obviously injured a lot this season) but I fail to see how it’s such a poor bet to sign him. Bar L Coombes who I’m a fan of but has yet to set the world alight who are we not starting in the back 3? There isn’t anyone in the academy I’m missing??
I’m reliably told we tried to sign a tighthead but we’re told no dice play the Irish lads.

I get zebo is Marmite but frankly those with such strong opinions i mental put in the same box as the Munster fans who derided heaslip the best Irish 8 bar none. For a guy who’s played for the lions 25 tries in the top14 and managed 10 tries since he’s returned he’s got some ability.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Sugary tae wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:26 pm Don’t get the zebo hate tbh. Conway has barely played a game in 2 seasons. Earls clearly on the way out. I’m not denying he’s at the top of his game (obviously injured a lot this season) but I fail to see how it’s such a poor bet to sign him. Bar L Coombes who I’m a fan of but has yet to set the world alight who are we not starting in the back 3? There isn’t anyone in the academy I’m missing??
I’m reliably told we tried to sign a tighthead but we’re told no dice play the Irish lads.

I get zebo is Marmite but frankly those with such strong opinions i mentally put in the same box as the Munster fans who derided heaslip (the best Irish 8 bar none). For a guy who’s played for the lions 25 tries in the top14 and managed 10 tries since he’s returned he’s got some ability.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Sugary tae wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 8:26 pm Don’t get the zebo hate tbh. Conway has barely played a game in 2 seasons. Earls clearly on the way out. I’m not denying he’s at the top of his game (obviously injured a lot this season) but I fail to see how it’s such a poor bet to sign him. Bar L Coombes who I’m a fan of but has yet to set the world alight who are we not starting in the back 3? There isn’t anyone in the academy I’m missing??

I get zebo is Marmite but frankly those with such strong opinions i mental put in the same box as the Munster fans who derided heaslip the best Irish 8 bar none. For a guy who’s played for the lions 25 tries in the top14 and managed 10 tries since he’s returned he’s got some ability.
For me it’s not his ability thats the problem he has bundles of that, it’s his application. He’s not kept himself in shape and is a poor example of a professional athlete.

On another note, his mocking of Ireland on twitter when they lost in Wales in 2019 will always leave a bad taste in my mouth.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by pangurban1 »

Will Munster's South African opponents in Heino be involved in big competitions while the six nations are going on.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by ronk »

This is last year's thread
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Nothing quite like a MF thread highlighting the "Dublin media bias" on the next big thing. The same Dublin media has been ejaculating all over mics and papers this season about the "green shoots" (c) down in Munster. Even under JVG, the same Dublin media could never understand why the "great young players" were not seeing more game time.

Jamie Osborne is good. He merits the hype. Same as Jack Cowley. D4 media!