Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by munster#1 »

Some good news on the injury front with Frisch looking likely to return to full training this week.
Hopefully he and Fekitoa can form a solid centre partnership, as Munster could really do with a solid partnership for a few games in a row.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 11:42 pm Some good news on the injury front with Frisch looking likely to return to full training this week.
Hopefully he and Fekitoa can form a solid centre partnership, as Munster could really do with a solid partnership for a few games in a row.
What sort of team do you reckon Munster will be able to field against Connacht.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 8:46 am
munster#1 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 11:42 pm Some good news on the injury front with Frisch looking likely to return to full training this week.
Munster are minus a fair few players, as of yesterday Munster confirmed Unavailable: Conor Murray (groin), Stephen Archer (ankle), Tom Ahern (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Fineen Wycherley (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Jack O’Sullivan (knee), Andrew Conway (knee).
In addition Liam Coombes, Earls, Kleyn, Knox and Killer are doubtful.

I’d suspect that Munster will try to get Beirne involved due to a shortage of locks and Munster’s urgent requirements to win this game.
I would also hope that POM could slot straight in, but as a centrally contracted player who knows.

My team would be:

Loughman
Barron
Salanoa/Ryan
Edogbo
Beirne
POM
Hodnett
Coombes
Casey
Crowley
Daly
Frisch
Fekitoa
Zebo
Haley

LOC, Scannell, Ryan/Salanoa, McDonald, JOD, PP, Healy, Daly

Imo that team, if they can click, should be enough to put real pressure on Connacht at the breakdown and in the lineout.
I am torn between Ryan and Salanoa, because I know Salanoa needs games, but Ryan will provide a much better platform for our halfbacks.
Additionally, imo Loughman looks like the best scrummaging LH on our books, so I would like Munster to try target their scrum.

I would also like to see this team or very close to it playing next week, and leading into the Toulouse game.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:34 am
Munster are minus a fair few players, as of yesterday Munster confirmed Unavailable: Conor Murray (groin), Stephen Archer (ankle), Tom Ahern (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Fineen Wycherley (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Jack O’Sullivan (knee), Andrew Conway (knee).

I’d suspect that Munster will try to get Beirne involved due to a shortage of locks and Munster’s urgent requirements to win this game.
I would also hope that POM could slot straight in, but as a centrally contracted player who knows.

My team would be:

Loughman
Barron
Salanoa/Ryan
Edogbo
Beirne
POM
Hodnett
Coombes
Casey
Crowley
Daly
Frisch
Fekitoa
Zebo
Haley

Imo that team, if they can click, should be enough to put real pressure on Connacht at the breakdown and in the lineout.
I am torn between Ryan and Salanoa, because I know Salanoa needs games, but Ryan will provide a much better platform for our halfbacks.
Additionally, imo Loughman looks like the best scrummaging LH on our books, so I would like Munster to try target their scrum.

I would also like to see this team or very close to it playing next week, and leading into the Toulouse game.
Has it been indicated that players featuring last Saturday will be released for next weekend's URC game?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

betty swallocks wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 11:21 am
munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 9:34 am

My team would be:

Loughman
Barron
Salanoa/Ryan
Edogbo
Beirne
POM
Hodnett
Coombes
Casey
Crowley
Daly
Frisch
Fekitoa
Zebo
Haley

Has it been indicated that players featuring last Saturday will be released for next weekend's URC game?
I don’t know, but I am living in hope that they are.
Munster minus Beirne, POM, Casey and Crowley would be a drop in standard, more obvious in the forwards.

Munster would probably go with McDonald, JOD, PP and Healy, which aren’t poor replacements, but Munster could do with all hands on deck.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Beirne has been playing a lot and when does he get a break? I'd put him on the bench at least.

Munster need a result in Edinburgh next week every bit as much as they need one this weekend in Thomond.

Possibly rest POM too. Play the others as they weren't starting so much and could do with gametime.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

RTE news : Internationals return in further boost for Munster

http://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-ch ... r-munster/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I can’t remember a time when I was both this excited and this nervous about a Munster v Connacht game.

Munster not only need to start winning games, but they need to start picking up bonus points.
Connacht are not the team to do this against, but a loss puts Munster a further 3-4 points out of the top 8.

Munster may have POM, Beirne, Crowley and Casey back, but Connacht will also have Aki and Hansen.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ROG suspended again and trolling about the England job.

I really hope the IRFU don't end up giving him a role at some point.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I hope ROG comes back, and would welcome him with open arms at Leinster, although don't think he'd fit into Stu's role.

High quality coach with huge experience who has bested us on a few occasions now.

Hopefully he doesn't go into English job with Robertson, that'd be a serious duo.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: November 24th, 2022, 3:15 pm ROG suspended again and trolling about the England job.

Head coaches should be banned from the touchline and banished up into the stands. The carry-on by the soccer managers on the sideline is a plague on that game. Who does RO'G think he is? Mourinho? Ferguson? Ugo Mola? The idea that a professional sports team can't win a game on its own and/or adapt to changing circumstances and therefore need some berserker on the sideline to babysit them is beyond ridiculous, IMO. And before someone comes up with the argument, that that's what the fans want to see, let me state that that is exactly what I do not want to see. It's one of the reasons I couldn't be arsed watching soccer anymore. That and talk back to the ref along with playacting i.e. pretending to having been fouled, to win a free kick, peno etc.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ROG’s record speaks for itself. He has had success wherever he has been. He drives high standards wherever he goes and looks to get the best out of his players.

Whilst I do not want rugby to ever go down the soccer or GAA route, I do think rugby is far too sterile.
When something happens, it is good that it is called out.
The standards of refereeing varies so much that all too often we see the refs interpretation of the laws dictate the result.

ROG is demanding the same level of standards from the ref that he would demand from his players, but sometimes this criticism is communicated incorrectly.
But that doe not mean that refs should be above criticism, and a quick Google search would show that ROG is not the only coach to express publicly their disapproval of a ref.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:51 pm ROG’s record speaks for itself. He has had success wherever he has been. He drives high standards wherever he goes and looks to get the best out of his players.

Whilst I do not want rugby to ever go down the soccer or GAA route, I do think rugby is far too sterile.
The standards of refereeing varies so much that all too often we see the refs interpretation of the laws dictate the result.

ROG is demanding the same level of standards from the ref that he would demand from his players, but sometimes this criticism is communicated incorrectly.
But that doe not mean that refs should be above criticism, and a quick Google search would show that ROG is not the only coach to express publicly their disapproval of a ref.

I'm all for freedom of speech but the problem with criticizing refs is it will turn into a race to the bottom. Rassie will put out his weekly video and the other coaches will feel the need to respond or they will feel they're at a disadvantage. Then everyone is doing it.

ROG could do it if he wasn't part of the top14 but he is and signed up to certain standards of speech.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:00 pm
ronk wrote: November 24th, 2022, 3:15 pm ROG suspended again and trolling about the England job.

Head coaches should be banned from the touchline and banished up into the stands. The carry-on by the soccer managers on the sideline is a plague on that game. Who does RO'G think he is? Mourinho? Ferguson? Ugo Mola? The idea that a professional sports team can't win a game on its own and/or adapt to changing circumstances and therefore need some berserker on the sideline to babysit them is beyond ridiculous, IMO. And before someone comes up with the argument, that that's what the fans want to see, let me state that that is exactly what I do not want to see. It's one of the reasons I couldn't be arsed watching soccer anymore. That and talk back to the ref along with playacting i.e. pretending to having been fouled, to win a free kick, peno etc.
It's what sports journalists (& pundits) want to write. Snore through the game, moan about having to paid to watch such indifferent rugby and talk about whatever the coach said.

World Rugby want to eliminate that nonsense, so they have a simple rule. There's an internal protocol for addressing issues with the ref, but it stays internal; no matter what.

People get it. And in the end a coaches job is mostly to give good coaching rather than to be better at bitching and moaning than the other guy.

Touchline bans aren't a big deal in rugby. A ban from interviews would annoy broadcasters but a coach might laugh it off.

Rugby punishes desent with 10m, you might not care but your teammates fought for that 10m and now hate your guts. Punish the team when a coach transgresses, not the coach. They'll lose the dressing room fast enough.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

munster#1 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 7:39 pm I can’t remember a time when I was both this excited and this nervous about a Munster v Connacht game.

Munster not only need to start winning games, but they need to start picking up bonus points.
Connacht are not the team to do this against, but a loss puts Munster a further 3-4 points out of the top 8.

Munster may have POM, Beirne, Crowley and Casey back, but Connacht will also have Aki and Hansen.
Edinburgh away next week too. 2 wins could ignite munsters season but I think Edinburgh will win.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:02 pm
riocard911 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:00 pm

It's what sports journalists (& pundits) want to write. Snore through the game, moan about having to paid to watch such indifferent rugby and talk about whatever the coach said.

World Rugby want to eliminate that nonsense, so they have a simple rule. There's an internal protocol for addressing issues with the ref, but it stays internal; no matter what.

People get it. And in the end a coaches job is mostly to give good coaching rather than to be better at bitching and moaning than the other guy.

Touchline bans aren't a big deal in rugby. A ban from interviews would annoy broadcasters but a coach might laugh it off.

Rugby punishes desent with 10m, you might not care but your teammates fought for that 10m and now hate your guts. Punish the team when a coach transgresses, not the coach. They'll lose the dressing room fast enough.
+1!!!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:02 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 6:51 pm ROG’s record speaks for itself. He has had success wherever he has been. He drives high standards wherever he goes and looks to get the best out of his players.

I'm all for freedom of speech but the problem with criticizing refs is it will turn into a race to the bottom. Rassie will put out his weekly video and the other coaches will feel the need to respond or they will feel they're at a disadvantage. Then everyone is doing it.

ROG could do it if he wasn't part of the top14 but he is and signed up to certain standards of speech.
Rassie’s antics and ROG’s sideline indiscretions are definitely not the way to go, but I don’t blame them for their frustrations.
All too often lately we are seeing games take nearly 2 hours, where refs blow teams off the field to such an extent that games become difficult to enjoy.

Leo is no stranger to taking public digs at refs or even governing bodies, not always in the right, but I personally like when a coach has the balls to say what they believe needs to be said.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

munster#1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:18 pm

Rassie’s antics and ROG’s sideline indiscretions are definitely not the way to go, but I don’t blame them for their frustrations.
All too often lately we are seeing games take nearly 2 hours, where refs blow teams off the field to such an extent that games become difficult to enjoy.

Leo is no stranger to taking public digs at refs or even governing bodies, not always in the right, but I personally like when a coach has the balls to say what they believe needs to be said.
There's a certain line for being subtle in taking a dig at the referee. Leo did it wonderfully at least once in a post match interview.

Leo: There's a formal process for reviewing referee decisions and we will engage with it thoroughly.

That imo is a massive dig but no one can call you out on it. Its outright stating the referee made mistakes and will have to justify them.

I remember once when ROG was playing he had an issue with some decision made by Roman Poite. He said outright on the pitch "We can have a pint later and you can explain what you are thinking with these decisions properly." It shows a fondness for informal communication. In this case ROG is hot water not for taking a dig but if I understand correctly informally contacting a referee.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

naraic wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:12 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:18 pm

There's a certain line for being subtle in taking a dig at the referee. Leo did it wonderfully at least once in a post match interview.

Leo: There's a formal process for reviewing referee decisions and we will engage with it thoroughly.

That imo is a massive dig but no one can call you out on it. Its outright stating the referee made mistakes and will have to justify them.

I remember once when ROG was playing he had an issue with some decision made by Roman Poite. He said outright on the pitch "We can have a pint later and you can explain what you are thinking with these decisions properly." It shows a fondness for informal communication. In this case ROG is hot water not for taking a dig but if I understand correctly informally contacting a referee.
Yes, I believe in this case ROG sent a text to an official which imo is out of order.

I am in no way having a go at Leo, in fact I commend him for doing it, I am just pointing out that it is not uncommon for coaches to speak to the press about their dissatisfaction of a referees performance.
Your example may be subtle, but you don’t have to look too far for examples where he has been less subtle.

Coaches need to point out issues so that the game can improve.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:37 pm
Coaches need to point out issues so that the game can improve.
Nope, they don't. There's a process, if one party breaks the process and doesn't get adequately punished that they go back to following the process then no one else follows the process. So it breaks down.

Undermining refs in public is not done to improve the game, it does not improve the game, it will not improve
the game.

Refs are not allowed say what they think about coaches and gamesmanship, so its cowardly to take a shot at someone with their hands tied.

Dodge a few awkward questions about decisions and they stop asking those questions. It's not rocket surgery.