Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by cormac »

That is a bullshit call against Carty. Hodnett jumps into that tackle.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

cormac wrote: November 26th, 2022, 8:57 pm That is a bullshit call against Carty. Hodnett jumps into that tackle.
Nonsense didn't need to lift his knees up gto his chest ffs
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Interesting penalty that. Munster player didn't need to jump to catch the pass, almost looked like he jumped slightly after the catch.
Could argue that he jumped into the tackle and give the penalty the other way.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Conn not going to get back into this, haven't looked like scoring at all in second half.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Munster after wrapping up the bonus point. Given their position in the league they need as many bonus points as possible.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

JOD leaning on ground beyond the ball and not supporting body weight there. All the 60-40’s going Munster’s way.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Think I’d prefer to see Frank Murphy reffing us in Thomond than this lad. Munster the better side here but ref’s hometown calls have led to their second and third tries.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

cormac wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:10 pm Think I’d prefer to see Frank Murphy reffing us in Thomond than this lad. Munster the better side here but ref’s hometown calls have led to their second and third tries.
Yeah, in a one score game, those hometown calls decide the result.
Dont Panic!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Very poor quality game. Wooton's defending for Nash try was under 9 stuff. Carty spent the night vindicating Andy Farrell's decision to jettison him although he wasn't helped by an out of sorts Blade.
Neither side showed any invention in attack. Connacht scrum was impressive and should have received more reward from a very peculiar ref.
Hodnett, Beirne and Casey the pick of the Munster players while the front row and Prendergast stood out for Connacht and Farrell had a good first half.
Not a good game played before a crowd determined to be more ridiculous than the locals at Cardiff or Llanelli.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

enby wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:41 pm Wooton’s defending for Nash try was under 9 stuff. Carty spent the night vindicating Andy Farrell's decision to jettison him although he wasn't helped by an out of sorts Blade.
Neither side showed any invention in attack.
Couldn’t agree more with this.

WTF was Wooton at?

Carty was his usual flaky self.

And Connacht’s attack has gone miles backwards.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Just catching up on the Munster game (still have 20 minutes to go). That penalty on 57 minutes for a tackle in the air was ludicrous. Hodnett caught the ball with a foot on the ground. Tackler committed. Surely it was a. Jump out of the tackle.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

naraic wrote: November 26th, 2022, 9:06 pm Munster after wrapping up the bonus point. Given their position in the league they need as many bonus points as possible.
Letting Connacht go home with one probably not the best though. The league is still fairly compressed.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

SoupyNorman wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:11 am Just catching up on the Munster game (still have 20 minutes to go). That penalty on 57 minutes for a tackle in the air was ludicrous. Hodnett caught the ball with a foot on the ground. Tackler committed. Surely it was a. Jump out of the tackle.
Connacht can count themselves lucky. A minute before that Nash got smashed in the tackle by Ralston after he passed the ball. Ralston injured himself. It looked like a possible red but the tmo and ref missed it.

There was also an instance when he told casey to use it. Niall Murray instantly runs around the ruck and Connacht win possession.

Munster got the 60/40s but home teams do. Ireland did a few weeks back in 2 tight matches.

As for the game, very wet and windy conditions. Munsters kicking was much better than Connachts. Carbery outclassed Carty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote: November 27th, 2022, 8:21 am
SoupyNorman wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:11 am Just catching up on the Munster game (still have 20 minutes to go). That penalty on 57 minutes for a tackle in the air was ludicrous. Hodnett caught the ball with a foot on the ground. Tackler committed. Surely it was a. Jump out of the tackle.
Connacht can count themselves lucky. A minute before that Nash got smashed in the tackle by Ralston after he passed the ball. Ralston injured himself. It looked like a possible red but the tmo and ref missed it.

There was also an instance when he told casey to use it. Niall Murray instantly runs around the ruck and Connacht win possession.

Munster got the 60/40s but home teams do. Ireland did a few weeks back in 2 tight matches.

As for the game, very wet and windy conditions. Munsters kicking was much better than Connachts. Carbery outclassed Carty.
The TG4 commentary team read out that prior to the game, Carty had only converted 5 of 13 attempted placekicks ... is that correct?

I thought that Casey clearly got the better of Blade at No9. His kicking out of hand was good last night, particularly in terms of the length he got from clearance kicks. That has markedly improved over quite a short period. He should look to add goal-kicking to his game. He looks like a fella who never wants to come in from the practise pitch, so I'd say he could turn himself into a useful short-range place-kicker, like Greig Laidlaw. It's a good string to have to your bow as a scrum-half, vis Cooney, Doak and Murray.

The ref [Gianluca Gnecchi] was curious. I hadn't seen him take charge of a game before. I liked his manner, but certain parts of the game seemed a little strange because of how he reffed the breakdown. He wasn't as hot on grounded tacklers rolling miles away from the tackled player as other refs are ... once they moved a bit off the ball, he let play roll on. It sounds small, but there were a number of situations where I expected to see a penalty given and it wasn't.

With regards to the Carty tackle on Hodnett, I felt that Hodnett got the ball and jumped into the tackle. Would have let that play on myself, no penalty either way.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

dropkick wrote: November 27th, 2022, 8:21 am

Munster deserved the win alright. If that penalty for a tackle in the air was given during the run of play I could understand. The fact it was given on the TMO when it was clear on replay that Hodnett jumped after catching the ball while on the ground with the tackler committed was the really bemusing part.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Ref accepted the crowd's invitation to award a penalty but surprisingly declined their request to issue a ridiculous card to the bemused Carty
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

After the Leinster game I was talking to roughly 467 Leinster fans in the RDS from all over the province and all they could talk about was how looking forward to the Munster match they were. That can only be great to see the level of interest in Munster from outside Munster.

Congratulations Munster :happy clapper:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I thought Carbery grew in confidence as the game wore on. Best performance by him I've seen in a long time.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

OTT wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:04 pm After the Leinster game I was talking to roughly 467 Leinster fans in the RDS from all over the province and all they could talk about was how looking forward to the Munster match they were. That can only be great to see the level of interest in Munster from outside Munster.

🤣😂🤣
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

OTT wrote: November 27th, 2022, 12:04 pm After the Leinster game I was talking to roughly 467 Leinster fans in the RDS from all over the province and all they could talk about was how looking forward to the Munster match they were. That can only be great to see the level of interest in Munster from outside Munster.

Got a good laugh out of that one in fairness!