Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote: March 26th, 2023, 2:42 am That performance in general and vs Fagerson in the scrum in particular could have cost Killer his place on the plane to France in the autumn.
+1
And just the same weekend as Michael Milne met Frans Malherbe.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sharks and Bulls both lost without any bonus points, which has taken a lot of pressure off Munster. Treviso got 2 bonus points but lost. Connacht could break their hearts especially with the very last kickoff and a game that might be a rubber for Glasgow.

The bonus point was useful but they're not safe. They could end up finishing 8, missing the HC and with a trip to Dublin.

The Sharks can get 51 points and would win a tie breaker. So Munster need 4 points or 3 while stopping the Sharks from getting one.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

riocard911 wrote: March 26th, 2023, 2:42 am That performance in general and vs Fagerson in the scrum in particular could have cost Killer his place on the plane to France in the autumn.
Certainly won't have gone un-noticed. He got taken apart out there by a guy we'll be playing against in RWC23.

50 caps for Ireland, 200+ appearances for Munster and taken off at halftime because he was getting monstered at the scrum and was leaking penalties like a sieve. It's just not what you expect to see from a player of that experience. You/I would expect him to find a way to stop the bleeding.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Compare Coombes, Hodnett, Haley, & Kilcoyne's performances with Deegan, Penny, Milne & Milne's performances from Fri night.

I know it's one game, but it's a recurring theme.

It starts to become clear why Faz prefers certain guys for Ireland.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I can definitely see Munster beating Sharks on Sat however.

For all Sharks star power, they are absolutely brainless, particularly at halfback.

Would back Munster to be too smart and too used to knockout rugby for them.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Munster have a track record of following up horrible losses in the league with wins in Europe.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

'Great to see there's so much interest in Munster given all the posts about the game'.

Just getting in before M#1.

:lol:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

elephantman wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:30 pm
Keith wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm
Avenger wrote: March 25th, 2023, 7:07 pm Aye. Outside of Nash and maybe Casey when he came on its hard to see too many positives. Coombes very poor even though he hot a try. Carbery was brutal. A player that just looks lost. Kilcoyne was getting destroyed by Fagerson. Guys you’d expect to stand up teally let them down.
It's an absolute travesty what's happened to Carberry. I don't know how much of it is down to the injuries he's suffered or if its down to the way he's been managed. Either way it looks like he'll have to get out of Munster and start again somewhere. It's not working.
I think you’re right. I get the feeling that Rowntree isn’t his biggest fan either. Wouldn’t be a shock to see Crowley start at 10 next weekend.

It’s desperately sad to see Carbery playing so poorly. I’m biased of course but I’ve always thought his 2018 move to Munster was the wrong decision. He should have stayed at Leinster.
Leinster player moves directly to Munster and regresses?

All this has happened before and all this will happen again. Thankfully the players mostly seem to be aware of it these days and actively avoid attempts made to move them down south.
Anyone But New Zealand
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

paddyor wrote:Not a great attendance for their last home game of the season.
Must be communion season?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Barry wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:22 pm

Confessions are in full swing anyway. :oops:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by wixfjord

Compare Coombes, Hodnett, Haley, & Kilcoyne's performances with Deegan, Penny, Milne & Milne's performances from Fri night.
So good you named him twice. :lol:
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by hugonaut

Certainly won't have gone un-noticed. He got taken apart out there by a guy we'll be playing against in RWC23.

50 caps for Ireland, 200+ appearances for Munster and taken off at halftime because he was getting monstered at the scrum and was leaking penalties like a sieve. It's just not what you expect to see from a player of that experience. You/I would expect him to find a way to stop the bleeding.
You'd think that he's been around long enough and street-smart enough to do something by fair means or foul.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:59 pm
by wixfjord

So good you named him twice. :lol:
He was twice as good as 'Killer' anyway!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Barry wrote: March 26th, 2023, 1:22 pm

Not being smart, I missed the game Friday to see Fight Like Apes do one last gig in the Olympia. But it just struck me they’re not getting any home games in Europe and this result has probably sealed their faith in the URC. There’s a real possibility they miss out on Europe next season if a few results don’t go their way. Every game from here on is win or go home and they’re on the road.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Some of Munster's defence yesterday was unbelieveable. Same issues against Scarlets. Must be a big worry now.

For Glasgow's second try Kilcoyne shoots out of the line trying to make the big hit, is way too late and thus leaves a big hole for the break (of course he continues to try make the big shot on Glasgow 10). Salanoa gets taken out of the game by Price's simple running line and then Haley turnstiles McDowall who takes two Munster men with him for the try.

For their third, Barron/Carbery allow Glasgow 10 skip through both of them over the line.

For Glasgow's fourth try the back three is totally bamboozled by Glasgow handling after being caught narrow for the umpteenth time. Chasing shadows.

The fifth Glasgow try is the worst though. From the scrum Horne takes an awful option to go blindside where the winger is marked by three Munster men. But Daly misses a first up tackle on the winger, he goes around Coombes & Kendellen without getting a glove on him. There are now 5 Munster men burned on the blindside with no Glasgow player there and then Vailanu takes the quick ball to go straight over. That was the game right there.

Really atrocious stuff.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

It looked like a pretty good crowd to me looking on the telly tbh.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Shane Delahunt to Munster according to Connacht fans.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

What a shocking game for Munster. They have been on a massive upward trajectory for much of the last few months, but last nights game was a serious regression.

Players looked fatigued out there.
Much of Munster’s progression has been built on fitness and playing the ball at pace, but last night looked like the S&C team got things wrong.
I wonder if players were pushed too hard too close to the game itself.

A number of players are being slated on here, but imo many of these have enough credit in the bank for me not to jump to the hyperbole of others.

2 points mentioned on here which are really worth addressing.

Despite not being a sell out, last nights attendance was close to a capacity attendance in the RDS, and higher than all games so far this season in the RDS bar the Connacht derby, which pipped last night’s game by less than 500.

As our friend from Wexford already alluded to, if you ever want to know why Munster get so much media attention, look no further to this thread. 3 pages on a Munster loss, show just how much interest there is in Munster rugby.

Next weekend is massive for Munster, but the last 2 URC games are just as important, as a loss in both of those games would likely mean that Munster fall out of the top 7 or even 8, meaning that Munster will be in the Challenge Cup next season.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Schumi wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:35 pm It looked like a pretty good crowd to me looking on the telly tbh.
It was around 18k and considering ours was about 15k against the reigning champions I don’t think we really have too much to be making fun over.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Xanthippe wrote: March 26th, 2023, 11:15 pm
Schumi wrote: March 26th, 2023, 5:35 pm It looked like a pretty good crowd to me looking on the telly tbh.
It was around 18k and considering ours was about 15k against the reigning champions I don’t think we really have too much to be making fun over.
18K? Really?
Place was half full at best.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!