Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by cormac »

A real game of two halves. That Munster try just before half-time was an even bigger blow to Edinburgh than it seemed at the time. They’ve completely melted away in this half. Munster able to generate quick ball almost at will. Full value now for the 17-31 score.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I've enjoyed the refereeing. He has contributed to a very good contest with Munster playing a very rounded game and Patterson really looking the part. Which Munster scrum-half has a central contract?
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

A final try to put a bit of additional gloss on the scoreline.

Edinburgh 17 Munster 38
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Five converted tries away from home is a very impressive win, albeit that Edinburgh lost important players at important times.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

That's a great win for Munster, fair play. Edinburgh were absolutely abysmal in that 2nd half, very surprised by them.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Fine performance from Munster in the second half. Edinburgh’s revolutionary tactic of only playing for 40 minutes may need to be revisited. The mental frailty of Scottish teams continues to blight them. Once Munster started to generate quick ball Edinburgh had no answer.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:16 pm I've enjoyed the refereeing. He has contributed to a very good contest with Munster playing a very rounded game and Patterson really looking the part. Which Munster scrum-half has a central contract?
I had the opposite view on the ref. With no skin in the game I thought he killed the game, I felt for Munster fans in the first half where he seemed to be riding them and Edinburgh in the second where it seemed he was stopping everything. Interesting the different opinion though just shows how hard their job is.

Thought Patterson was good as well, as was Casey before him.

Munster well worth their win, if they got another couple of tries the score line wouldn’t have flattered them.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Very big 5 points for them and well deserved against a hopeless Edinburgh. Letting Tadhgh Beirne go to Scarlets was not our finest hour. He was excellent especially in first half when the game appeared to be running away from them and played a crucial role in the try on half time.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Prendergast has done a great job developing Patterson. He must be a nightmare for any tiring backrow I the last 15 mins.

But, now a second Scottish team aping the defensive and emotional frailty of their national team. If you don't tackle, you can't win.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:26 pm Fine performance from Munster in the second half. Edinburgh’s revolutionary tactic of only playing for 40 minutes may need to be revisited. The mental frailty of Scottish teams continues to blight them. Once Munster started to generate quick ball Edinburgh had no answer.
Really good win for Munster, who were tough and clever and very deserved winners. They have got a lot of confidence back.

With regards to the bolded sentence, you took the words out of my mouth. Edinburgh were so fragile, but it is more than that particular team. So many Scottish teams over a long, long period now have shown themselves to be mentally weak. A few things go wrong and they can't stick in the game and pull back. They start compounding errors [in this instance, like crazy] and the confidence drains out of them.

In this instance they just 'played rugby' i.e. passed sideways behind a screen in the middle of the field, for most of the second half.

But it's a bigger issue than tactics. Can you imagine us or Ulster or Munster conceding 31 points unanswered at home, especially against a team who don't have an absolutely huge talent gap over you?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Playing URC for years and not being Irish (or SA now) can do that to you.

A lot of games have that here we go again moment. Once Edinburgh collapsed their only real play was to get a 4th try and a bonus point. It would be worth losing 3 or 4 tries to get 1. The flake theory is still my preferred one.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

munster#1 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:43 am
The original plan was to hold 2 per year, so you are correct, the stadium is under-utilised.
Hopefully this concert sells out fast and an additional date is added, which would bring it to 2 concerts in 2022 and 2 in 2023.

I do not work in marketing stadiums for things like this, but I’d imagine that a it is an difficult size stadium to sell as it is smaller than alternatives which are a short drive away, and it is based in a city with a population which would be considered a town in many countries.
Second date added for Kennedy.

Good job. I'm sure the stadium rent is a nice bonus for Munster.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

naraic wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:38 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 10:43 am
The original plan was to hold 2 per year, so you are correct, the stadium is under-utilised.
Hopefully this concert sells out fast and an additional date is added, which would bring it to 2 concerts in 2022 and 2 in 2023.

I do not work in marketing stadiums for things like this, but I’d imagine that a it is an difficult size stadium to sell as it is smaller than alternatives which are a short drive away, and it is based in a city with a population which would be considered a town in many countries.
Second date added for Kennedy.

Good job. I'm sure the stadium rent is a nice bonus for Munster.
That is great news.
Hopefully this is just the start of things to come and we see TP being used for concerts every season.

These concerts are nice little earners for Munster, and given the financial forecast for the IRFU coupled with Munster’s well documented financial struggles, they are almost a necessity.

Additionally, as a Shannon supporter it is also great as they made a killing at the ED concerts.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Another great win for Munster, and one on the road which is brilliant.
Munster need to secure wins, but it is the BPs that will allow them to really push for a top 8 spot. Given Munster’s lack of tries from the first few matches, it is great to see back to back TBP wins against 2 teams that were ahead of them.

Casey looks to be coming into some form, which is largely down to getting more consistent minutes.
Carberry, was very good at keeping the backline ticking over, but his decision making and defence are still suspect and will likely be costly against better opponents.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

IanD wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 7:16 pm I think Munster are in for a hard night. Edinburgh are remembering Dodi Weir with the crowd asked to wear tartan and there will be a "moments applause". Added to this they have their Internationals back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63826880

"Scotland internationals Jamie Ritchie, Grant Gilchrist, Pierre Schoeman, Blair Kinghorn, Darcy Graham, Mark Bennett and Duhan van der Merwe all return to Edinburgh's starting XV for the visit of Munster."

Munsters backs to the wall attitude will be up against the emotional response from Ebinburgh.
This didn't age well.

Fair play to Munster getting a win under the circumstances was a great result.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

2 back to back bonus point wins has really changed the picture being presented. They went from 12 points to 22: 14th to 7th. There are 4 teams who can pass them back with games in hand but it's still a lot healthier.

Bulls start to look in range with a 7 point gap, but really they need to be looking behind them more.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 8:05 am Another great win for Munster, and one on the road which is brilliant.
Munster need to secure wins, but it is the BPs that will allow them to really push for a top 8 spot. Given Munster’s lack of tries from the first few matches, it is great to see back to back TBP wins against 2 teams that were ahead of them.

Casey looks to be coming into some form, which is largely down to getting more consistent minutes.
Carberry, was very good at keeping the backline ticking over, but his decision making and defence are still suspect and will likely be costly against better opponents.
Badly needed shot in the arm M#1.
Good performance and good to see that Munster had retained their stickability and added a bit of skill.
May be a season too early given the poor start to the season but.........
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 11:37 am
munster#1 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 8:05 am Another great win for Munster, and one on the road which is brilliant.

Good performance and good to see that Munster had retained their stickability and added a bit of skill.
Munster are a much changed machine, but as you say, it is great that they still have the belief and ability to stay in games that they could potentially lose.

Unfortunately I am also in agreement with you on the season too soon thing.
Imo this season is all about developing the squad, which is going really well, and ensuring that if things click next season that they are in the HC.
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

One of my neighbours is an Edinburgh fan, he predicted the hooker wasn't ready.
Oh dear.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

munster#1 wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 2:19 pm
Oldschool wrote: December 3rd, 2022, 11:37 am

Munster are a much changed machine, but as you say, it is great that they still have the belief and ability to stay in games that they could potentially lose.

Unfortunately I am also in agreement with you on the season too soon thing.
Imo this season is all about developing the squad, which is going really well, and ensuring that if things click next season that they are in the HC.
Munster are not a machine.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ