The Conveyor Belt

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Fireworks
Mullet

The Conveyor Belt

Post by Fireworks »

I apologies if this has already been discussed to death under another topic heading.

With the change to the URC season it looks like smaller squads will be needed by the provinces which provides even fewer seats for the huge numbers we are producing every year.

We have a small playing pool for the international team to be selected from and it is getting smaller. We are producing enough to stock at least one more competitive squad but there is no logical home or funding for another team.

I have an unpopular suggestion but would love to hear others. Could we rebuild the club game. Make it provincial with the winners from the provinces going into play offs. Use a draft system in each province for teams to get new talent each year. If there was a blank slate to start with I would go further and have county teams.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The Conveyor Belt

Post by ronk »

You don't improve the club game by breaking it further.

Drafts take recruitment and development largely out of their hands and the hands of players. Parents would hate it too. Clubs want control over their own affairs and to do what they're good at.

Clubs are often intergenerational, why force players to play for their rivals. Would anything good come of that?
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

ronk wrote: March 13th, 2022, 10:51 am You don't improve the club game by breaking it further.

Drafts take recruitment and development largely out of their hands and the hands of players. Parents would hate it too. Clubs want control over their own affairs and to do what they're good at.

Clubs are often intergenerational, why force players to play for their rivals. Would anything good come of that?
Probably right. I just wonder if the club game is already broken beyond repair. I worry that we will be shrinking an already small pool of professionals to select from for the Irish team.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Fireworks wrote: March 13th, 2022, 9:24 am I apologies if this has already been discussed to death under another topic heading.

With the change to the URC season it looks like smaller squads will be needed by the provinces which provides even fewer seats for the huge numbers we are producing every year.

We have a small playing pool for the international team to be selected from and it is getting smaller. We are producing enough to stock at least one more competitive squad but there is no logical home or funding for another team.

I have an unpopular suggestion but would love to hear others. Could we rebuild the club game. Make it provincial with the winners from the provinces going into play offs. Use a draft system in each province for teams to get new talent each year. If there was a blank slate to start with I would go further and have county teams.
The club game doesnt need to go provincial. The country isnt so large that its necessary and it would reduce standards as well.
I wouldnt agree with a draft system either though something needs to be done to help get more players across the clubs and not have as many players in the top couple of clubs in each of the provinces.

We do need more of our casual supporters, as in those who attend the big provincial games and irish games and then just watch rest of their rugby on tv out going to clubs watching and supporting. we need to be cleverer in how we promote and play club games.
How would you create a draft system and for what players and for what divisions would you have the draft?

having county teams would be great but on top of clubs like essentially the kiwis have mitre 10 and heartland championships below super rugby sides.