Connacht 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Re: Connacht 2021/22

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (32) - Signed contract in 2021
Matthew Burke (25) - Signed contract in 2021
Jordan Duggan (24) - Signed contract in 2021
Tietie Tuimauga (28) - Signed contract in 2021

Charlie Ward (22) - Academy year 2

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (23) - Signed contract in 2022
Finlay Bealham (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Sam Illo (21) - Signed 2 year contract in 2021
Greg McGrath (25) - Signed contract in 2021
Dominic Robertson-McCoy (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (28) - Signed contract in 2021
Dave Heffernan (31) - Signed contract in 2021
Jonny Murphy (30) - Signed contract in 2021
Dylan Tierney-Martin (23) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Declan Adamson (23) - Academy year 3
Eoin De Buitléar (20) - Academy year 2

Lock

Oisin Dowling (25) - Signed contract in 2022
Leva Fifita (33) - Signed contract in 2021
Darragh Murray (21) - Signed contract in 2022
Niall Murray (22) - Signed contract in 2021
Gavin Thornbury (28) - Signed contract in 2021

Back row

Ciaran Booth (22) - Signed contract in 2022
Paul Boyle (25) - Signed contract in 2021
Jarrad Butler (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
Eoghan Masterson (29) - Signed contract in 2021
Sean Masterson (24) - Signed contract in 2021
Oisin McCormack (21) - Signed contract in 2022
Josh Murphy (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Conor Oliver (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Cian Prendergast (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Donnacha Byrne (21) - Academy year 2

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (28) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022
Kieran Marmion (30) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020
Colm Reilly (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Will Reilly (u22) - Academy year 1

Outhalf

Jack Carty (30) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022
Conor Fitzgerald (24) - Signed contract in 2021
Cathal Forde (20) - Signed contract in 2022

Centre

Bundee Aki (32) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020
Shayne Bolton (22) - Signed contract in 2021
Tom Daly (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Tom Farrell (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Shane Jennings (21) - Signed contract in 2022
Peter Robb (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Back 3

Mack Hansen (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2021
Matt Healy (33) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
Diarmuid Kilgallen (22) - Signed contract in 2022
Oran McNulty (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022
Ben O'Donnell (27) - Signed contract in 2020
Tiernan O'Halloran (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
John Porch (28) - Signed contract in 2021
Peter Sullivan (24) - Signed contract in 2021
Alex Wootton (28) - Signed contract in 2021

Josh O'Connor (21) - Academy year 1

IN: Darragh Murray (Lock, Academy), Ciaran Booth (Back row, Academy), Oisin McCormack (Back row, Academy), Josh Murphy (Back row, Leinster), Cathal Forde (Centre, Academy), Shane Jennings (Centre, Academy), Diarmuid Kilgallen (Back 3, Academy)
OUT: Ultan Dillane (Lock, La Rochelle), Abraham Papal'i (Back row, Brive), Sammy Arnold (Centre, Brive)

*ages as at 01/09/2022
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

It's probable that quite a few contracts signed last year were 1 year deals
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Former Connacht player Tadhg Leader, brother of Darragh, and USA International has joined the Hamilton Tiger Cats, who play dominion rugby, as a kicker

I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Charlie Ryan being linked with Connacht. Would be surprised if he moved there but who knows these days.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Looking at the URC Table as it sits, there are at least 5 teams who could overtake Connacht and push them out of the European Champuons Cup positions for next Season. However, with the Squad that Andy Friend is assembling that might be no bad thing.

If Connacht can integrate their new Leinster signings with the current Squad members and dramatically reduce long-term injuries during next Season they have a squad strength capable of getting a top four place in the URC and winning the European Challenge Cup. Winning games and trophies is what professional sport is about and is the greatest of all motivations.

Andy Friend and his assembled Coaches have done an excellent job tactically and in terms of skill-development and recruitment thus far. If they can avoid significant injuries, they are well on the way to assembling a highly competitive group that everybody in the league will fear.

However, if they can attain this standard, there will also be drawbacks, in the form of Irish Squad selections. From this summer's Tour to New Zealand, through Autumn Internationals to the pre-6N Camp next January, I believe that up to seven Connacht players might be called on and, although an uninterrupted URC fixture list will minimise the conflicts between National and Club call-ups, real depth is needed to cater for both schedules.

Dare I put names on the Connacht candidates? In positional order from the back and assuming each can perform to their highest standards, I'd suggest the following will all have a fighting chance of at least National Squad selection:

Mack Hansen, Alex Wootton, Adam Byrne, Bundee Aki, Tom Daly, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade, Kieran Marmion, Peter Dooley, Dave Heffernan, Finley Bealham, Niall Murray, Gavin Thornbery, Josh Murphy, Cian Prendergast, Paul Boyle and Conor Oliver.

Some may argue that not all of those 17 have the requisite physiques to prosper at international level and they may be right. But I believe that Irish rugby has always had players who command selection because of performances which demand attention. I believe each of these players has already demonstrated, occasionally, that they can reach such standards.

I'd certainly like to see my 'second' favourite Province reach those standards.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 4th, 2022, 9:37 am Looking at the URC Table as it sits, there are at least 5 teams who could overtake Connacht and push them out of the European Champuons Cup positions for next Season. However, with the Squad that Andy Friend is assembling that might be no bad thing.

If Connacht can integrate their new Leinster signings with the current Squad members and dramatically reduce long-term injuries during next Season they have a squad strength capable of getting a top four place in the URC and winning the European Challenge Cup. Winning games and trophies is what professional sport is about and is the greatest of all motivations.

Andy Friend and his assembled Coaches have done an excellent job tactically and in terms of skill-development and recruitment thus far. If they can avoid significant injuries, they are well on the way to assembling a highly competitive group that everybody in the league will fear.

However, if they can attain this standard, there will also be drawbacks, in the form of Irish Squad selections. From this summer's Tour to New Zealand, through Autumn Internationals to the pre-6N Camp next January, I believe that up to seven Connacht players might be called on and, although an uninterrupted URC fixture list will minimise the conflicts between National and Club call-ups, real depth is needed to cater for both schedules.

Dare I put names on the Connacht candidates? In positional order from the back and assuming each can perform to their highest standards, I'd suggest the following will all have a fighting chance of at least National Squad selection:

Mack Hansen, Alex Wootton, Adam Byrne, Bundee Aki, Tom Daly, Jack Carty, Caolin Blade, Kieran Marmion, Peter Dooley, Dave Heffernan, Finley Bealham, Niall Murray, Gavin Thornbery, Josh Murphy, Cian Prendergast, Paul Boyle and Conor Oliver.

Some may argue that not all of those 17 have the requisite physiques to prosper at international level and they may be right. But I believe that Irish rugby has always had players who command selection because of performances which demand attention. I believe each of these players has already demonstrated, occasionally, that they can reach such standards.

I'd certainly like to see my 'second' favourite Province reach those standards.
They are a shambles. Friend has the best PR of any Head Coach
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well that's a hell of a paddlin' for Connacht!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Edinburgh looked good. Puts our win over them in a better light.
A lot of 1st teamers not there
Unavailable due to injury: Luan de Bruin, Luke Crosbie, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, James Johnstone, Viliame Mata, Jamie Ritchie, Marshall Sykes, Ben Toolis
International selection: Mark Bennett, Magnus Bradbury, Darcy Graham, Grant Gilchrist, Jamie Hodgson, Stuart McInally, WP Nel, Pierre Schoeman, Hamish Watson
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

That was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen. There is something seriously rotten in Connacht as they are prone to these collapses every now and again for some reason.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

A lot of boarders talking about Friend and how he should go. That's not a good sound when your own fans begin to murmur like that. This could be a turning point for Friend if he gets another bad result or two.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Keith wrote: March 5th, 2022, 3:08 pm That was the worst defensive performance I've ever seen. There is something seriously rotten in Connacht as they are prone to these collapses every now and again for some reason.
Give the Munster vs Dragons game a watch :D
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Murray Kinsella

@Murray_Kinsella
·
2m
Connacht have signed 21-year-old back row Shamus Hurley-Langton from Manawatu Turbos ahead of next season. He has been superb in the NPC, looks like a really smart signing. Rather incredibly, he is not Irish-qualified.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

RTE news : Connacht swoop to sign back Ralston

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/0314 ... k-ralston/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Seems like a strange signing as Connacht are well stocked in that position. The only centre leaving is Peter Robb who barely plays anyway. That said Matt Healy is meant to be retiring and there is rumours of TOH going but who knows.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

sunshiner1 wrote: March 15th, 2022, 2:42 am Seems like a strange signing as Connacht are well stocked in that position. The only centre leaving is Peter Robb who barely plays anyway. That said Matt Healy is meant to be retiring and there is rumours of TOH going but who knows.
Robb and Healy will go, and Arnold already confirmed gone. I also think O'Donnell will not be offered a new contract and Sullivan is likely to go too given the Adam Byrne, Ralston, and rumoured Mullins signings. David Hawkshaw has also just been confirmed. TOH also likely to be on his way.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by betty swallocks

Robb and Healy will go, and Arnold already confirmed gone. I also think O'Donnell will not be offered a new contract and Sullivan is likely to go too given the Adam Byrne, Ralston, and rumoured Mullins signings. David Hawkshaw has also just been confirmed. TOH also likely to be on his way
O'Donnell makes sense he hasn't transitioned over to 15's. Sullivan I would keep as he's on small money and is a decent squad player. I wonder where TOH is off too? He's been a great servant so him heading off and getting a big contract in France before he retires makes sense to me.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It looks like there's going to be a big turnover of players this summer in Connacht. About 6 signings and 6 promotions. 3 players confirmed leaving so there's going to be a lot more to come.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Rumours that Dominic Robertson-McCoy is going to be leaving as well.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Talk about Leinster North and Leinster West. How many of our boys are we going to have over there next season?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

blockhead wrote: March 16th, 2022, 10:26 am Talk about Leinster North and Leinster West. How many of our boys are we going to have over there next season?
Players involved at Leinster academy level or higher:
Tom Daly, Tom Farrell, Josh Murphy, Peter Dooley, David Hawkshaw, Adam Byrne, Oisín Dowling, Gavin Thornbury, Jack Aungier, Greg McGrath.

Players involved in Leinster schools/clubs/underage:
Jordan Duggan, Denis Buckley, Sam Illo, Charlie Ward, Shane Delahunt, Paul Boyle, Conor Oliver, Cian Prendergast, Peter Robb, Matt Healy, Peter Sullivan, Josh O'connor.

Possibly missing some