Connacht 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Re: Connacht 2021/22

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 7:28 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 7:20 pm If Connacht had got their deserved win last weekend, they'd be a headline team across Europe. They are a seriously well coached team, particularly defensively, this season. They could always attack but what defenders. Oliver was a revelation at openside and what an engine.
If they'd gotten their win last weekend, they'd have lost well tonight. They're a team devoid of any anima outside of animus. They had a thick on them after last weekend so they showed up tonight.
:shock:
Hard man to please.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

enby wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 7:38 pm
outcast eddie wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 7:18 pm
enby wrote: October 23rd, 2021, 7:03 pm It's a shame this isn't on BBC2
Why?
Because the reaction of the commentators and panel to that performance would have been entertaining
Tommee and Roree are honest enough so you're spot on, the analysis would have been very interesting.
Humphreys wasn't exactly glowing in his comments on URC.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Worth remembering that this was a Connacht Squad without Bundee Aki, Denis Buckley, Matt Healy, Gavin Thornbury, Alex Woottam nor any of their more recent signings from overseas, Fifita, Papiolofa, Ben O'Donnell or Shane Bolton. Furthermore, Club Captain Jared Butler only made a cameo appearance in the final 10 minutes.

This was a performance born out of excellent Coaching preparation and great, sustained, delivery on the park but a group committed to each other. Marmion, Carty and Boyle in their leadership from key positions but players like Bealham, Dillane, Daly and O'Halloran put their hands up and their heads in where it hurt. All were inspirational on the night.

Connacht can now go on from here. Despite losing a few key players to retirement & transfer they have sufficient depth and savvy to build on yesterday's victory and last weekend's performance. Looking forward to watching the progress of this ship.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:00 am Worth remembering that this was a Connacht Squad without Bundee Aki, Denis Buckley, Matt Healy, Gavin Thornbury, Alex Woottam nor any of their more recent signings from overseas, Fifita, Papiolofa, Ben O'Donnell or Shane Bolton. Furthermore, Club Captain Jared Butler only made a cameo appearance in the final 10 minutes.

This was a performance born out of excellent Coaching preparation and great, sustained, delivery on the park but a group committed to each other. Marmion, Carty and Boyle in their leadership from key positions but players like Bealham, Dillane, Daly and O'Halloran put their hands up and their heads in where it hurt. All were inspirational on the night.

Connacht can now go on from here. Despite losing a few key players to retirement & transfer they have sufficient depth and savvy to build on yesterday's victory and last weekend's performance. Looking forward to watching the progress of this ship.
Connachts next game is at home to the Ospreys. They'll probably get hosed.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:13 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:00 am Worth remembering that this was a Connacht Squad without Bundee Aki, Denis Buckley, Matt Healy, Gavin Thornbury, Alex Woottam nor any of their more recent signings from overseas, Fifita, Papiolofa, Ben O'Donnell or Shane Bolton. Furthermore, Club Captain Jared Butler only made a cameo appearance in the final 10 minutes.

Connachts next game is at home to the Ospreys. They'll probably get hosed.
On the other hand possibly not. Connacht prepared for the Ulster game very intelligently with particular elements of attack & defence specifically designed for the opposition they faced. Ospreys performance against Munster was hard nosed aggression in scrum and maul and furious competition at the breakdown. If Connacht can maintain tempo and continuity in their mid-field attacks, it's likely that Osprey's defence will show more gaps.

Connacht certainly demonstrated they have the acceleration and absolute pace to take advantage of any spaces that appear in opposition defences.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Connacht have improved a lot in the last two games and should really have won both of them, they were excellent versus ulster

They will be a real tough side to beat out in galway and they will be favourites to beat us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Sammy Arnold moving to Brive at the end of this season

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/statu ... 52836?s=20
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote: October 29th, 2021, 2:05 pm Sammy Arnold moving to Brive at the end of this season

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/statu ... 52836?s=20
Joining a former team- mate who has been a fixture at centre for three Seasons - Stuart Olding. Brive will enjoy those guys playing together and they'll really enjoy Brive, a rugby-mad town.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

A good move for him. He'll make good money and have a nice lifestyle. Sorry to see him go but I'm sure he was offered a wedge of cash.Connacht have Jennings coming through so he can be replaced easily.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:10 pm Ray McLoughlin has passed away. RIP

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4735474
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:10 pm Ray McLoughlin has passed away RIP

In my view, Ireland's greatest ever LHP, who also was capped as a THP. He was considered the architect of the 1971 Lions forwards demolition of the NZ pack. I heard first Coach Carwyn James and subsequently Captain John Dawes attribute this accolade to two different Lions 1971 reunions.

Many Rugby books of the era and some of the history of Irish rugby said that his advent as Irish Captain changed the manner of preparation of Irish teams forever and brought forward the appointment of a Coach to Irish teams in the late 1960's. Ronnie Dawson, the first Irish coach was on the same page as McLoughlin and in concert with Tom Kiernan, they contributed hugely to the development of the national team and Lions of the 60's and '70's.

Ray McLoughlin was also a very successful businessman on an international scale, even from an early age. He and Tony O'Reilly were considered as international business figures and rugby players. However, Ray played right into his 30's and offered his scrum and forwards coaching expertise to many contemporaries who had graduated to Club coaches during the 1970's.

He was quite literally a legend in the 1970's and led a very busy life and fitted in rugby in Blackrock, Gosforth, UCD and (I think) Durham or Newcastle as well as Connacht and Ireland. I believe he also played alongside his brother Felimh for Connacht and Ireland, in the front-row.

He will always be considered among the all-time greats by players of the 60's & 70's. He deserves that accolade.

May he rest in peace and may his family have consolation in the respect in which he was held.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:35 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:10 pm Ray McLoughlin has passed away RIP

In my view, Ireland's greatest ever LHP, who also was capped as a THP. He was considered the architect of the 1971 Lions forwards demolition of the NZ pack. I heard first Coach Carwyn James and subsequently Captain John Dawes attribute this accolade to two different Lions 1971 reunions.

Many Rugby books of the era and some of the history of Irish rugby said that his advent as Irish Captain changed the manner of preparation of Irish teams forever and brought forward the appointment of a Coach to Irish teams in the late 1960's. Ronnie Dawson, the first Irish coach was on the same page as McLoughlin and in concert with Tom Kiernan, they contributed hugely to the development of the national team and Lions of the 60's and '70's.

Ray McLoughlin was also a very successful businessman on an international scale, even from an early age. He and Tony O'Reilly were considered as international business figures and rugby players. However, Ray played right into his 30's and offered his scrum and forwards coaching expertise to many contemporaries who had graduated to Club coaches during the 1970's.

He was quite literally a legend in the 1970's and led a very busy life and fitted in rugby in Blackrock, Gosforth, UCD and (I think) Durham or Newcastle as well as Connacht and Ireland. I believe he also played alongside his brother Felimh for Connacht and Ireland, in the front-row.

He will always be considered among the all-time greats by players of the 60's & 70's. He deserves that accolade.

May he rest in peace and may his family have consolation in the respect in which he was held.
Lovely eulogy.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Ruckedtobits

Oldschoolsocks wrote: ↑November 22nd, 2021, 7:10 pm
Ray McLoughlin has passed away RIP

+1 A great eulogy

In other news Abraham Papali'i has been called up by Samoa. Wonder will that affect his next contract?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 6:35 pm

Very nicely done. Thank you.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Going to be a tough one tonight for Connacht.
Conditions won't suit their style of play.
Ospreys, as they showed against Munster, are well able to play lockdown rugby and kick their penos.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Great first half of rugby from Connacht. Bolton and McNulty looking very good on their first start.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

dropkick wrote:Great first half of rugby from Connacht. Bolton and McNulty looking very good on their first start.
Gnome very nice rugby alright, especially in the conditions. Looks fierce caould
I have Bumbleflex
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Could put up a big score here
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Contrast between the two backlines, with and without the ball, couldn't be greater. Connacht playing some nice rugby but the Ospreys 10-12-13 have been awful in defence. They're slower than a wet weekend in Holyhead.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish