Connacht 2021/22

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Connacht 2021/22

Post by cormac »

good decision making at the end to knock over the drop goal
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 19th, 2021, 2:45 pm Great thinking and awareness there from Carty - everyone was focussed on getting the try, but they only needed two points for the losing bonus
Yeah that was clever. They missed an opportunity here for a win but got something out of it at least.
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ben Youngs got MOTM. Great player and great attitude:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... g-some-joy
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: December 19th, 2021, 2:39 pm Connacht should've won this. Tigers bench scrum impact has been a big factor but key errors from Carty x2 and TOH turned momentum too.
Pretty one-eyed view. Carty errors were under pressure because of yellow card and scrum pressure and referee's limited perception of front-row play. Leicester won the third quarter comprehensively but, IMO, Connacht shaded each of the other quarters.

Excellent rugby from Connacht and glad to came away with a point.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 19th, 2021, 3:19 pm
wixfjord wrote: December 19th, 2021, 2:39 pm Connacht should've won this. Tigers bench scrum impact has been a big factor but key errors from Carty x2 and TOH turned momentum too.
Pretty one-eyed view. Carty errors were under pressure because of yellow card and scrum pressure and referee's limited perception of front-row play. Leicester won the third quarter comprehensively but, IMO, Connacht shaded each of the other quarters.

I mean I literally said both sides contributed to the momentum shift in my post there and you've just agreed with me that Connacht should've won.

The yellow card and subsequent try came from TOH's knock on error which was a big turning point.

Carty missed touch from a pen under no pressure and then kicked out on the full one almost directly after.

Connacht were really good and that's my point, they should've gotten the win with a few less key errors.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

cormac wrote: December 19th, 2021, 2:21 pm Jack Ongeeay in at tight-head according to BT commentator
:lol:

Anyone else having trouble recording BT on Sky? This game came up as “Failed” and a couple of them last week were the same.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 19th, 2021, 3:19 pm

Didn't see the game but that's kind of what I expected to happen. Not sure if they have now or ever will have the engine to play high tempo expansive rugby for a full 80 week in week out over a season. Maybe it comes to them at the business end. They were flagging a bit against us after 30 minutes and we upped the tempo when we could.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Connacht just need an experienced, heavy, steady, second row to compliment what they already have. They’ve enough depth pretty much everywhere else. But then, that’s what everyone wants I suppose. They are playing really well, but are having to play really well every time they take the field.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Tigers rotated a lot of players and fielded a lot of inexperienced players at this level, that was a very good second half from Leicester, not yet a fully functioning squad this year, bit well on the way to getting back to where we were, still unbeaten this year in all competitions. Burns first game at 10 since re-signing and just back from injury and surgery, he will have better days in the position.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Dillane rumoured to be leaving for France at the end of the season with La Rochelle the likely destination.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by betty swallocks

Dillane rumoured to be leaving for France at the end of the season with La Rochelle the likely destination.
Massive loss if true. He's one of their big players but since he isn't appearing in the International Squads, going and making some cash makes sense. With Roux gone last year this will hit Connacht fans hard.

[edit] Meant to be a 3 year contract and on serious money. Fair play to him.
betty swallocks
Bookworm

Post by betty swallocks »

Dowling and Murray have come through and Thornbury is to return with Fifita there too. A replacement will be needed however as no second rows advanced enough at this point in their academy.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

betty swallocks wrote: December 20th, 2021, 11:26 am Dowling and Murray have come through and Thornbury is to return with Fifita there too. A replacement will be needed however as no second rows advanced enough at this point in their academy.
Well if there's one Province who have proved successful in recruitment since the arrival of DN, it's Connacht. They'll probably discover some US-born 6'8" tight-end, weighting 19st who can run 40 yds in 4.1 secs and played High School rugby in LA from age 12 to 18 before he was drafted to the NFL. Oh and by the way, his Granny left Mayo when she was 2.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Rumour that Tom Daly is in talks with Munster. Anyone hear anything?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sunshiner1 wrote: December 20th, 2021, 11:01 am
by betty swallocks

Massive loss if true. He's one of their big players but since he isn't appearing in the International Squads, going and making some cash makes sense. With Roux gone last year this will hit Connacht fans hard.

[edit] Meant to be a 3 year contract and on serious money. Fair play to him.
Wouldn't begrudge him, he is a very good player but never really got close to being an automatic starter for Ireland. He was also born in France, so the connection is there. I wonder if he'd moved to another province would his cap count be bigger?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

sunshiner1 wrote: December 21st, 2021, 12:48 pm Rumour that Tom Daly is in talks with Munster. Anyone hear anything?
Just read it in Duncan Casey's article in the examiner.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rug ... 70354.html

Dillane confirmed

https://mobile.twitter.com/connachtrugb ... 48003?s=20
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

A big blow to Connacht but they seem to be developing a few other players too and obviously cash is very tight.

I'd expect Dillane to France but a possibility is Munster. They're expected to lose players in those positions and Munster is a better shop window for international rugby. Plus they don't seen bound by the rules on pay rises for provincial moves.

If it gets Munster out of the market for big signings and gives something positive for an incoming coach then the IRFU might like it.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Connacht statement is that he informed them be signed for an overseas club

Most people assume back to France.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I'd expect Dillane to France but a possibility is Munster.
Dillane is going to La Rochelle on a three year contract. La Rochelle have confirmed it.

From the Examiner

"A well placed source tells me Tom Daly could be on his way south from Connacht to replace Damian de Allende, who is expected to be on his way next summer. Daly is an excellent player who has had a new lease of life at Connacht but objectively speaking, it’s fair to say he’s not in the same category as de Allende just yet."

Makes sense apparently DDA might be going to Bath. Sorry to lose Daly and not sure how good a move it is for him but ce la vie. Apparently Connacht have a strong belief in Jennings the U20 star to take a step up, otherwise I am assuming they will go after a fringe Leinster player.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sounds like a great deal for Dillane. Great place to live and presumably a good contract. I'd love more players to do this once their international career stalls.